Brent Clevlen, MVP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Brent Clevlen, MVP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brent Clevlen, MVP

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:31 am

Not of the team, but MVP of the whole FSL. Hopefully with players like him coming through, great seasons from Zumaya and Verlander, and a potentially great draft (sign already, Maybin) this past season, hopefully good things are in store for this clubs minor league system.

On the day he was named Florida State League MVP, Tigers outfielder Brent Clevlen proved why--hitting his 18th home run in high Class A Lakeland’s 5-4 win over Clearwater. The 2002 second-round pick, who hit just .223 for Lakeland last year, is batting .302/.388/.486 in 477 at-bats and leads the Florida State League in on-base percentage and RBIs (101).

Link for the whole article from Baseball America:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/050831dish.html
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:37 pm

Nice to finally see a Tigers prospect turn things around after a rough season.

Here is another article about Clevlen winning the Most Valuable Player and Lakelands Jodan Tata winning Most Valuable Pitcher of the FSL.

The accolades continue to roll in for the 2005 Lakeland Tigers. Outfielder Brent Clevlen has been named the Most Valuable Player of the Florida State League and righthander Jordan Tata has been named the Most Valuable Pitcher for 2005.

Joining Clevlen and Tata as All-Stars are starting pitcher Nate Bumstead, catcher Danilo Sanchez, outfielder Vince Blue, and Tigers’ manager Mike Rojas.

Rightfielder Brent Clevlen is currently hitting .301/.385/.480 on the year and is leading the league with 100 RBI. Clevlen has hit 17 homeruns and is 2nd in the league with 15 outfield assists.

Starting pitcher Jordan Tata currently leads the league in victories with 13 (13-2) and is 2nd in ERA at 2.38. Tata has 132 strikeouts in 151 innings pitched and is holding opposing batters to a .227 batting average.

Starting pitcher Nate Bumstead is currently 2nd in the FSL with 12 wins (12-4) and 3rd in the league with a 2.54 ERA. Bumstead has thrown 155.2 innings on the year and is holding opponents to a .229 batting average.

Catcher Danilo Sanchez is hitting .281/.363/.504 on the year with 19 homers and 55 RBI. His .504 slugging percentage is 3rd best in the league.

Centerfielder Vince Blue is hitting .299/.358/.347 and 2nd in the league with 38 stolen bases. Blue has a .982 fielding percentage with 5 errors in 117 games played in centerfield.

Manager Mike Rojas, in his first year with Lakeland, led the Tigers to the first-half West Division crown and the Tigers currently lead the West in the second half. Rojas’ team leads the FSL in fielding percentage and has the best overall record in the league (including both halves) at 80-47.

The Tigers set a Florida State League record with 10 players named to the midseason All-Star team and now they have the most postseason All-Stars for 2005 with six. The postseason squad was voted on by field managers, official scorers, and sports writers representing the 12 teams of the Florida State League.

The Lakeland Tigers are the Florida State League (advanced-A) affiliate of the Detroit Tigers.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:02 am

I can't wait to see Clevlen in Erie next year. I think he will carry over his success better than Tony G has so far, but we'll have to see. Erie should have a pretty nice team next season. I'm still not sold on Jordan Tata yet, but he's put up nothing but good seasons in his 3 years in the Tigers organization. He should be up in Erie with Clevlen next year.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:48 am

You forgot to mention that the Tigers minor leagues system is rated one of the best in baseball.

Never heard that one before! <sarcasm>

I'm encouraged by what seems to be a talent upgrade, but what we are talking about is talent that won't affect the big team for 4-5 years, if at all. The Tigers don't exactly have a track record of developing players in their minor league system.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:53 pm

moochman wrote:You forgot to mention that the Tigers minor leagues system is rated one of the best in baseball.

Never heard that one before! <sarcasm>

I'm encouraged by what seems to be a talent upgrade, but what we are talking about is talent that won't affect the big team for 4-5 years, if at all. The Tigers don't exactly have a track record of developing players in their minor league system.
It's definitely true that we have some talent, but most of it being in the lower levels. One thing I like about this last draft is that they drafted some relatively polished hitters. In the past, they often drafted too many raw players with high picks. Scott Moore and Eric Munson are good examples of this and they had serious issues with the strike zone to show for it. Whether or not they are destined for the big leagues or not, guys like Jeff Larish, Clete Thomas, and Willie Rhymes are producing AND showing impressive plate discipline. That in itself is a rarity for most Tiger prospects in the lower levels, let alone 3 (plus a few others that I didn't mention) from the same draft class. These are college players capable of moving fast if everything goes well. Maybe this organization finally has some people who can draft good players, or maybe it's dumb luck so far.

If you can't tell, I'm excited about some of the Tigers' low minors prospects for the first time in years. I just hope our minor league system doesn't screw this opportunity up.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:17 am

Hang onto to the hope, dude. We got to pray that Chadd will draft players who will have a chance to develop into impact players. If they can't start to get stars out of their minors, there is no chance for them to ever compete.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Detroit Tigers