New non-political hurricane Katrina thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

New non-political hurricane Katrina thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:17 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I see. Yes, I did not know the technical definition of a hack. I did understand that being one undermined credibility, so in that sense, I was disagreeing with you because I feel that Ben Stein is a very credible person. Obviously, that is not what you meant.

I would like to hear why his comments in the article, which, coincidentally, I sent to wrveres, are "poo." Care to go into further detail about why you feel that way?

ps - Sorry, wrveres, but I think that Jon Stewart is pretty funny. The Daily Show was hilarious. I miss having cable...

That Stein article is somewhat misleading. I'll just pick one quote from that article,

There is no overwhelming evidence that global warming exists as a man-made phenomenon. There is no clear-cut evidence that global warming even exists.

Yeah, it's true there is no overwhelming evidence and there is no clear-cut evidence. But if you remove just those two words then you get a false statement.

Unless his article was directed at Kanye West, I don't know what Stein was trying to prove. I don't recall anyone accusing Bush of making gangsters rape women at the Superdome. What was the point of his #6 comment? I don't know. A lot of what Stein wrote has little substance (unless you're Kanye West).

Of course, George Bush has admitted himself that the federal govt shares some of the blame for the poor disaster response. He takes the responsibility for it. I could, but I'm not going to harp on Bush, he realizes there were mistakes made and he is seeking to correct them. That sits well enough for me.

I truly find it curious that you would give so much credit to Ben Stein, a biased individual on a biased internet webpage that has absolutely no regulations or people to answer to other than its readers while you give less credit to a worldwide news organizations like CNN who do have to worry about political watchdogs.

Let's not forget your post of the blog stating the refugees at the Astrodome were ungrateful. You said yourself that there is probably some truth in it and felt it important enough to share with us. I really wonder if you honestly give that "news" source as much credibility as you do CNN.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:19 pm

Jon Stewart was funny before he got ratings and thus turned his show into his personal political agenda: ie. misquote President Bush at least three times per segment and follow it with some snide remark about vacationing. Sorry, that's not comedic. His show was funny when he was trying to attract an audience and, obviously, that is no longer the case and it hasn't been for a few years now.

wikipedia wrote:Krugman had been mentioned as a possible contender for a top economic policy post if John Kerry won the presidency in November, 2004.

Krugman worked on an advisory board for Enron throughout most of 1999 before resigning to take a job as a columnist. This became a source of controversy when the story of the Enron scandal broke, with critics accusing him of having a conflict of interest and the job of having been a bribe to control media coverage, charges he vehemently denies.

Mookie, all we want to hear is that using Krugman as a source is a laugher. He's inherently biased because the first paragraph I just quoted and he's a scoundrel for being involved in the Enron fiasco.

And I'll leave this post with a brilliant Paul Krugman quote.
Krugman wrote:Can we break the machine that is imposing right-wing radicalism on the United States? The scariest part is that the media is part of that machine.

Yeah Krugman, the media is on the right-wing. ;-7
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:33 pm

wrvers wrote:Oh and please, don't call me out. I really don't appreciate it.

But I thought we were on such friendly terms, with you PM'ing and all.

Gretna Police Chief Arthur Lawson said ..
* We had no preparations
* We had no radios
* We had no phones.
* We had no communications,
* We had not spoken to the city of New Orleans prior to or during this event.
* We had no water to sustain them
* We had no food
* We had no shelters
* We had no buses
* Our citizens had left the town
* Our city was locked down and secured

No radios, phones, and communications? So what. These people were looking for shelter. A place to be safe.

Had not spoken to the city of New Orleans? I didn't know it was a requirement to speak with New Orleans before taking in refugees. Someone needs to show me where that is written.

Had no food and water? I didn't know there were no grocery stores in Gretna.

No shelters? I might give you this one except that the Gretna citizens left town. It's not like the place was overcrowded. Heck it was deserted.

No buses? So what. Refugees weren't asking for buses.

Lock down and secured? Well, good for the people of Gretna! However, I find it disheartening that Gretna, who had everything in order, turned their backs on american refugees seeking shelter from the worst disaster in american history.

I don't know about you, but those excuses don't convince me.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:53 pm

I find the mere thought that CNN is anywhere near a newsworthy organization and deserves any credit to be laughable. But we won't get into that...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:54 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I find the mere thought that CNN is anywhere near a newsworthy organization and deserves any credit to be laughable. But we won't get into that...

Yeah Fox News is much more credible :-b :-b :-b
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:55 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I find the mere thought that CNN is anywhere near a newsworthy organization and deserves any credit to be laughable. But we won't get into that...

Television news, as a whole, is a sham.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:56 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Television news, as a whole, is a sham.

I agree with that.

NPR fo life!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WharfRat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:58 pm

And why's that? Because they don't tell you what you want to hear?

It's cool though. Embrace the rise of conservative media! Bathe in it's warm embrace!

(the rest of us will be perfectly content in reality) ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby davidmarver » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:05 pm

WharfRat wrote:

And why's that? Because they don't tell you what you want to hear?

It's cool though. Embrace the rise of conservative media! Bathe in it's warm embrace!

(the rest of us will be perfectly content in reality) ;-D

CNN, Fox, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, and whatever other 'news' stations there are on television are all trash; few report real news and most don't report the whole story anyway.

Liberals can have the TV all they want...it makes more sense since it requires sitting anway. I'll take my radio anyday. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WharfRat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:14 pm

davidmarver wrote:I'll take my radio anyday. ;-D

Good call. The home of Rush, Sean, Laura, Dr. Laura, Bill, Neal, Jimmy Dobs, Savage, G. Gordon.... ;-D

I don't really get why people dig these political talk radio or TV pundits anyway. You can pretty much predict what people are going to say about everything. Seems kinda useless, unless you need positive reinforcement, I guess.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk