INfinite ERA?!?!?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

INfinite ERA?!?!?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

INfinite ERA?!?!?!

Postby TDS-MN » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:52 am

Hey All,

Curious about something, hopefully someone can help out.

I've got Mr. Mesa on my team. He had a terrible outing, and got a daily era of INF!

That doesn't seem to hurt my team ERA in my Yahoo H2H league. Yet, at least. But I'm wondering if I would be better served to put him on the bench. Is his number for the week an average of all of his outings? I'll admit I'm no math genius, but I'm worried about how my numbers might end up this week.

Am I worrying about something that won't really matter? Can someone clear up how something like that is going to be scored?
TomS.
'12 H2H season standings:
Team 1 = 140 - 118 - 12, 4 OF 12
Team 2 = 84 - 97 - 9, 6 OF 8
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:01 am

Mesa gave up two runs without recording an out, so that's why his ERA is INF. If he pitches one more inning, his ERA becomes 18, 2 more innings it drops to 9, and three more it drops to 6. ERA = ER/IP * 9. But his two runs are already on the books for your team, ya? Benching him wouldn't make up for those two runs, which shouldn't hurt you that much unless you're in a tight ERA race for the week.

Edit: I don't think I answered your question about standard scoring: Your players pile up stats for your team as a whole. If you play a guy and he hits a HR, that counts for your TEAM'S total. If you then bench the guy and he hits another HR, that 2nd homer doesn't add to your cumulative total. Same with pitching stats. And whichever TEAM has the best cumulative stats AS A WHOLE in a given category at the end of a week, that team wins the category. This is why you should be glad if you bench a guy who then has a bad game - it doesn't effect your cumulative, weekly totals. Hope that's clear enough.

But I also noticed that Mesa has given up a total of 7 ER his last 3 appearances.... :-o
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:24 am

INF ERA just happens whenever a pitcher allows a run without recording an out. It's a bit misleading, b/c it doesn't reflect whether it was minor (like 1 run), or major (like Paul Wilson 8 ER earlier this season). If Mesa had just recorded one out before that HR, his ERA for the day would've fallen all the way to 54.00. ;-7

WharfRat wrote:But I also noticed that Mesa has given up a total of 7 ER his last 3 appearances.... :-o

Yes, he's been killing me!! I acquired him FOUR WEEKS ago at the trade deadline, he's gotten me ONE save and blown up my ERA!! :~(
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:06 am

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm

That infinite ERA threw me off when I first saw it too. ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby TDS-MN » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:55 pm

I see tha the FAQ's talk about it. And I understand how the result ends up being INF.

I was just trying to understand how much damage my team numbers were going to suffer due to that performance. I think I was looking at it more from a team average, rather than cumulatively. Probably mostly a panic reaction what with the regular season ending and me worrying about every point I can get.
TomS.
'12 H2H season standings:
Team 1 = 140 - 118 - 12, 4 OF 12
Team 2 = 84 - 97 - 9, 6 OF 8
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mamorris » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:29 pm

TDS-MN wrote:I see tha the FAQ's talk about it. And I understand how the result ends up being INF.

I was just trying to understand how much damage my team numbers were going to suffer due to that performance. I think I was looking at it more from a team average, rather than cumulatively. Probably mostly a panic reaction what with the regular season ending and me worrying about every point I can get.

That depends on how many innings your team pitches. Let's assume you pitch 50 innings this week (fairly reasonable with a 5-man rotation and four relievers). Mesa's two extra earned runs would hurt your weekly ERA by 0.36 (2 * 9 / 50). If your team pitches 75 innings (you'd need at least 7 starters for this), then the impact is 0.24. The more innings your team pitches, the less Mesa's effort will hurt your overall results, and vice versa.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Pedantic » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:28 pm

Technically, it would be an undefined ERA, not infinite. :-b
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:38 pm

Pedantic wrote:Technically, it would be an undefined ERA, not infinite. :-b

Is this a calculus class or a baseball forum?.. :*)

In any event, the one lesson that people will probably remember from this thread more than any other is just to never own Mesa.. :-b
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BritSox » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:25 pm

Reminds me of that Royals on fantasy team/success inverse proportionality relation some columnist demonstrated earlier this year.

Actually, i wonder what's the most KC players anyone's managed to have on a team and still win this year?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers