Bonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Bonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bonds

Postby BravesGuy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:27 pm

Just picked him up in 2 of my leagues.....sounds like theres still a chance he's coming back

"LATEST NEWS
Barry Bonds has begun taking light batting practice, a positive sign the slugger could soon be ready to resume other baseball activity as he recovers from three operations on his right knee. Giants general manager Brian Sabean spoke Tuesday to renowned Angels orthopedist Dr. Lewis Yocum, who has been working with Bonds in Los Angeles along with physical therapist Clive Brewster. "What that means in the greater scheme of things, I'll know more (Wednesday)," Sabean said. "The knee was tolerant. He was sore in the obvious places, being the hands and upper torso. It's a good first step toward getting back to baseball activities. ... I'm presuming it's a baby-step type of thing."
(Updated 08/31/2005).
FANTASY ANALYSIS
Sabean planned to speak to Yocum and Brewster again Wednesday to better determine when Bonds -- recovering from three surgeries on his right knee since Jan. 31 -- might be able to rejoin his San Francisco teammates. Though Sabean isn't ready to guess when Bonds might be back in uniform to resume his chase of the home run record. "Until both those folks, even with him doing this activity, release him to us, it's in their hands. I have full faith in how they've handled it and where this thing's going under their guidance," Sabean said. "Yeah, I'm hopeful, but I can't guarantee anything. This is definitely a day-to-day situation. Again, building on what they're asking, he's not standing still and he's not taking steps back." - sportsline.com

Aug 31 Bonds has been taking light batting practice, a first step in the resumption of baseball activities for the San Francisco Giants' slugger. Last week, Bonds began doing sprints and drills involving cuts while running. On Wednesday, Giants GM Brian Sabean will talk with orthopedist Dr. Lewis Yocum, who has been working with Bonds in Los Angeles, and physical therapist Clive Brewster about a plan to get Bonds ready to play again.

Advice: More should be known about the star's timetable in the next week. It's looking more likely that Bonds will return to action in September.

Aug 31 Updating an ongoing story, the Associated Press reports San Francisco Giants OF Barry Bonds (knee) has begun taking light batting practice and may soon be ready to resume other baseball-related activity. General manager Brian Sabean expected to know more about the status of Bonds Wednesday, Aug. 31.
-yahoo

You guys think he is coming back this season?
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 47)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bullfrog1220 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:14 am

The Giants have 30 games remaining in their schedule, and Bonds hasn't swung at a real pitch yet. I'm not sure what you're expecting, but there is no way that he's going to give you anything this season.
bullfrog1220
T-Ball Trainer

Postby vapormike » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:52 am

Has he done any running at all in the outfield? Remember he's in the NL so it's not like he can ease back into the game via the DH.
vapormike
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:49 am

He's done running and cutting exercises on a track with his trainers...not in the OF but same overall effect.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby orakana » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:27 pm

bullfrog1220 wrote:The Giants have 30 games remaining in their schedule, and Bonds hasn't swung at a real pitch yet. I'm not sure what you're expecting, but there is no way that he's going to give you anything this season.

I completely agree, how is he gonna get into playing shape or even be able to get in the batters box in 30 days. Even if he does its not like he'll be ready as he hasn't swung a bat in a year and probably won't see much live pitching before he theoretically gets back into the batters box.

I'd like to see him come back without any practice or game rediness and watch him make a fool out of himself. We saw how long it took Giambi to get his game somewhat back together, does anyone think Bonds can do it over night?
orakana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:31 pm

I think with his raw talent he *could* come back and do it overnight.

Will he? Probably not. That said, I had Barmes on the DL on one of my teams and had Bobby Crosby (who wasn't playing for me other than to fill in at SS for Jeter on offdays) got dropped for Bonds. If Bonds comes back and does something for me then that will be a great boost in the playoffs. If not it's no big deal.

I wouldn't count on Bonds to do anything. But if it costs you nothing to pick him up or keep him on the DL I wouldn't be dropping him just yet either.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby orakana » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:35 pm

[quote="I wouldn't count on Bonds to do anything. But if it costs you nothing to pick him up or keep him on the DL I wouldn't be dropping him just yet either.[/quote]

I agree to that, if you have the open DL spot and he won't be taking up roster space then why not take a shot and see what happens. If you have to waive somebody for him then that may be a stretch.
orakana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:10 am

I've heard he's coming back next week. 8-o
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby juiced » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:23 pm

mweir145 wrote:I've heard he's coming back next week. 8-o

espn reports he may come off DL tomorrow if there are no set backs from today's workouts. 8-o
juiced
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:12 am

juiced wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I've heard he's coming back next week. 8-o

espn reports he may come off DL tomorrow if there are no set backs from today's workouts. 8-o

I might have to pick him up then.. 8-o
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates