Garciaparra next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Garciaparra next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Garciaparra next year?

Postby rich101682 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:36 pm

Since this season was kind of a nothing season for Nomar as far as helping the Cubs, and that he's FINALLY starting to look like they player they traded for last year, do you think that the Cubs will give Nomar another shot next year? Something similar to the one-year deal he got this year? Or do you think Nomar will be looking for a contract with multiple years on it? And if he is, would the Cubbies give it to him?
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:48 pm

I doubt get the money or the years he wants so its up to Nomar whether he wants to try to go the 1-year route again.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Ron Santo » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:56 pm

I would think the Cubs would give Nomar another chance next season, if he provides another month of strong play. It would have to be a one year deal at a reasonable price though.
"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."-- Rogers Hornsby
Ron Santo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rich101682 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:32 pm

I think the 1 year 8 million that the Cubs gave him this year would be a good deal for the player and the team next year.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:38 pm

rich101682 wrote:I think the 1 year 8 million that the Cubs gave him this year would be a good deal for the player and the team next year.

I think that would be a great deal for Nomar, and a horrible deal for the team that signs him for that. What has he done in the last couple years to make anyone think he's worth anything near $8M a season? He certainly isn't the player he was a few years back.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby KaiserSoze » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:40 pm

I'd give him maybe 5 million.
KaiserSoze
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:02 pm

He's been hurt a lot lately. I wouldn't give him much at all. He royally f'd up by not signing the offer from Bosox years ago.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby theclefe » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:29 pm

If I could get him for 3-4 years at 6-7 million, I would do it.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dmville » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:30 pm

They would be nuts to bring him back IMO.

Face it, unless the Cubs go sign 2 or 3 other big FA this offseason, they will be no better than this year. Assuming Burnitz is gone, they have absolutley no OF. It would surprise me if Walker is back also. And maybe Maddux retires. After 2003, they built their team for the next couple years. I'd say that is out the window at this point.

They have Cedeno for SS who should get every chance IMO. And I don't know enough about him, but maybe he could fill that leadoff role.

None of it will matter though unless they get more than 2 quality SP (Prior and Zam). Hmm, Jerome Williams as their #3 SP? Should be fun.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rich101682 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:40 pm

Well let's just say they bring back Garciaparra for about 5-6 mil. That's not too much. And I'm sure they could get Walker back too. That's a fantastic infield. As for the OF/pitching staff/bullpen, they could easily imporve on all of them to be at least better than this year because Sosa's $15 million will be off their books and they can use that money in FA. Now I'm not sure which FA's are out there because I don't have a list, but with the Sosa $ and a few prospects to trade, I think we could be competative next year.

Thoughts?
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers