Prior washed up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior washed up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:25 pm

Red Stripe wrote:Geez gets one injury prone type season last year and then gets hit in the elbow on a comebacker and now he only throws about 100 pitches a game so therefore he is washed up. O please.... :-°

exactly what I thought... guy comes back after a brutal injury and starts kicking ass... Fanball can say whatever it wants. If Prior is "slipping," then there's always the slim chance that he goes to LAD for cheap... :-B

The lightside shall prevail...

Oh, and go Dodgers!
no1cowboysfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:30 pm

Typical Fanball nonsense. Prior hasn't K'd less than 7 batters in a start since July 24th. He's given up more than his fair share of long balls, but he's been up against good hitting teams.

"Solid" option... Ben Davis is a solid option. Brad Penny is a solid option. Prior is a stud.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:20 pm

As long as he keeps cranking out crap-loads of K's, I could care less if his ERA is 3 or 4.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:15 pm

Fanballs the type of guys who call a player injury prone after he's hit by a pitch and breaks a bone. One of my pet peeves in baseball reporting is calling a player injury prone when the only things that's happened to him are baseball related broken bones. That's nothing.
Now Nomar, that guy is gonna tear something reaching for the soap in the shower..
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby kcs261 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:21 am

The Cubs need to fire Baker. Baker has already ruined Kerry Wood, caused Jason Schmidt to get Tommy John back in SF, and now look at what he's doing with Prior. Prior definitely isn't washed up. But they need to get rid of Baker to save him.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:39 am

Bottom line is that Prior has under-achieved for whatever reason for most of his 3.5 year pro career. A great 2003. In 2004 he managed only 118 IPs and with a 4.02 ERA and 1.36 WHIP.
This season he has 138 IPs, 3.72 ERA and 1.17 WHIP and only 10 Ws so far and has missed a lot of time. Fluke injuries of whatever, this guy is starting to look more and more like Wood. Overhyped and no where near as good as his reputation. Now he certainly could have a great 2006, but at this point he has to be devalued in drafts imo.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:43 am

I'm still a big believer in Prior, mainly because his mechanics are much better than Woods' mechanics ever were. Prior seems to throw high heat effortlessly whereas Wood's motion looked has always been more violent and jarring. I hope he's devalued in my draft next year.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:50 am

Pitchers are so erratic that using premium picks for them at this point is dubious at best. I know I will not pick any SP top 4 rounds now save for maybe Santana. None of them can be trusted. RJ (lousy), Ol. Perez (horrible), Schilling (horrible), Schmidt (lousy), Hudson (below avg), Beckett (blister boy strikes again), Sheets (hurt), CZam (win count is down) have all dissappointed to some degree. Why draft any pitcher high in a draft at this point? It is rolling the dice with important core picks. The number of high round SPs that have not been a mess you can count on 1 hand with fingers remaining.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:06 am

Pitchers are so erratic that using premium picks for them at this point is dubious at best. I know I will not pick any SP top 4 rounds now save for maybe Santana. None of them can be trusted. RJ (lousy), Ol. Perez (horrible), Schilling (horrible), Schmidt (lousy), Hudson (below avg), Beckett (blister boy strikes again), Sheets (hurt), CZam (win count is down) have all dissappointed to some degree. Why draft any pitcher high in a draft at this point? It is rolling the dice with important core picks. The number of high round SPs that have not been a mess you can count on 1 hand with fingers remaining.

There's a lot of truth to what you're saying.

The starting pitchers taken in the first 4 rounds of my draft:

1st round (6th pick)--Randy Johnson
1st round (10th pick)--Johan Santana
2nd round (18th pick)--Jason Schmidt
3rd round (27th pick)--Pedro Martinez
3rd round (28th pick)--Roy Oswalt
3rd round (29th pick)--Tim Hudson
4th round (33rd pick)--Ben Sheets
4th round (34th pick)--Mark Prior
4th round (36th pick)--Carlos Zambrano
4th round (37th pick)--Curt Schilling
4th round (39th pick)--Roger Clemens

Santana, Pedro, Oswalt, and Clemens have been good this year. That's 4 out of 11 guys taken in the first 4 rounds.

And there are numerous guys who were either drafted late (Dontrelle Willis--15th round) or undrafted (Jon Garland) who have done well. In my experience, there always seems to be pitchers to pick up.

That being said, I still like Prior. Not that he should be taken too high, but if he appears undervalued when I'm drafting next year, I'll take him in a heartbeat (especially if Dusty Baker is replaced as Cubs' manager).
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby mweir145 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:04 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:

There's a lot of truth to what you're saying.

The starting pitchers taken in the first 4 rounds of my draft:

1st round (6th pick)--Randy Johnson
1st round (10th pick)--Johan Santana
2nd round (18th pick)--Jason Schmidt
3rd round (27th pick)--Pedro Martinez
3rd round (28th pick)--Roy Oswalt
3rd round (29th pick)--Tim Hudson
4th round (33rd pick)--Ben Sheets
4th round (34th pick)--Mark Prior
4th round (36th pick)--Carlos Zambrano
4th round (37th pick)--Curt Schilling
4th round (39th pick)--Roger Clemens

Santana, Pedro, Oswalt, and Clemens have been good this year. That's 4 out of 11 guys taken in the first 4 rounds.

And there are numerous guys who were either drafted late (Dontrelle Willis--15th round) or undrafted (Jon Garland) who have done well. In my experience, there always seems to be pitchers to pick up.

That being said, I still like Prior. Not that he should be taken too high, but if he appears undervalued when I'm drafting next year, I'll take him in a heartbeat (especially if Dusty Baker is replaced as Cubs' manager).

Wow, you guys didn't really like Halladay much did you?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers