Prior washed up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior washed up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:31 pm

Anyone that's curious about Prior and pitch counts should check out his performance on pitches 106+ in his career too...admittedly 40-50ip isn't a huge sample size but he's been TERRIBLE at those pitch counts. I think putting him on a 100 pitch count will be a good thing for his productivity.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zepfan » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:36 pm

Every blurb written by Fanball should be taken with a grain of salt. They are to fantasy baseball insight as Fox is to news reporting.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Vetterstrom » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:54 pm

zepfan wrote:Every blurb written by Fanball should be taken with a grain of salt. They are to fantasy baseball insight as Fox is to news reporting.

Yeah, definitely. Every single thing they write about Prior they include terms like "a shadow of his former self", "not what he once was", "injuries have ravaged",etc. I usually disregard what they say.
Vetterstrom
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BobbyRoberto » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:06 pm

Things will be better for Prior when Dusty Baker moves on to manage another team.

Note: this is NOT intended to start an anti-Dusty Baker tirade, just a comment that Prior's future will be better when it's Dust-free.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby RynMan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:10 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:Things will be better for Prior when Dusty Baker moves on to manage another team.

Note: this is NOT intended to start an anti-Dusty Baker tirade, just a comment that Prior's future will be better when it's Dust-free.

Agreed.

BR: I'm curious as to the origin of your avatar.... :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:11 am

It's just a random picture I found on the Internet one day. I don't even remember where it came from, just know that I like it.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby silverZ » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:02 am

If you've watched prior pitch since he came off the DL its obvious he's not washed up. Whoever said that is a complete moron.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby RynMan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:17 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:It's just a random picture I found on the Internet one day. I don't even remember where it came from, just know that I like it.

Its cool. Im keen to know who it belongs to. ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TB13 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:30 am

Considering the fact that Prior "only" missed a month due a broken elbow (his pitching elbow at that), I think that he's pitched great. This is not an ordinary injury that you simply go on the 15 day DL and all is good. This is a broken elbow.
Given all of that, he still has 154 k's to 45 walks & a whip of a tidy 1.16. His ERA is 3.72, but as has been pointed out already, it was below 3 prior to him breaking his elbow. The WHIP gives you an indication that the ERA does not tell the whole story.
Prior will be greatly undervalued next year. He is still one of the best young pitchers in the game.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:20 pm

Prior's pitching mechanics have been described as "near perfect." He hasn't been dominant lately like we've seen in the past, but he'll be just fine. He's still only 24.
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers