Jose Reyes Future Value? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Reyes Future Value?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jose Reyes Future Value?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:02 pm

What do people expect from him in the next 2-3 years? Is he going to improve on the average/obp? Will he be able to continue putting up the insane SB numbers he's put up this year? I know that the Mets look like they're going to be putting up great numbers for years to come with their young talent and commitment to getting good players (Pedro last year for example).

I'm considering trading for him in a keeper league but I want to see what everyone's opinions are on him to get an idea of how much I should be willing to give up.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Knicks4ever » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:24 pm

I am very high on reyes, my self being a mets fan and him being my favorite player, he is a eletric player with amazing speed, he has to be one of the 5 fastest players in the whole leauge. I think his average will improve for next year a good deal. Remember he was batting around 250 at the allstar break and now its up to around 275. As for the speed i think he will be a 50 steal player for a long time, he is still learning on the bases and he has AMAZING speed.

As for next year i think you will see something like this out of him-
300. avg 10 hr 60 rbi's 100 runs and 50-60 steals

and in 2-3 years i think something like this will be likely-
315. avg 15 hr 75 rbi's 120 runs and 50-60 steals

i think he is a phenominal talent who will become a elite player and i would try hard to get this guy in a keeper leauge
Last edited by Knicks4ever on Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Knicks4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Iconoclastic » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:27 pm

I think in his peak seasons he can hit around .370 with 60 SBs. He'll be one of the superstars of the game- go for it
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rirruto » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:32 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:I think in his peak seasons he can hit around .370

Did I read that right? :-B
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:34 pm

If he can hit .370 with 15hr's and 60sb's I'll trade Pujols for him ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby prhood » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:35 pm

I'm going to be the devils advocate. I think what you see is what yopu'll get with some slight improvement. I can see him hitting .275-.290 with 40+ SB per year - assuming that the wear & tear of stealing doesn't increase jis time on the DL.

I suspect that his average will not rise above .300 on a consistent basis unless/until he learns plate discipline. He has a OBP of .300 and that has been consistent for several years. OBP not the be-all and end-all but it's a usefull indicator of plate discipline.
prhood
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Knicks4ever » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:36 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:I think in his peak seasons he can hit around .370 with 60 SBs. He'll be one of the superstars of the game- go for it

i agree that 60 stolen bases is a possiblity and he very well could become a superstar, batting .370 is out of his range IMO i think the best he will ever hit is around .325 or so
Knicks4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ron Santo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:39 pm

I may be in the minority here, but I am still not sold on Jose Reyes.
I flipped him and Danny Haren for Hank Blalock at the all star break in my keeper league.
Yes, he will always be a base-stealing threat- but he is way too Corey Patterson at the plate- and low OBP means the steals chances will stay about the same kiddies.
"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."-- Rogers Hornsby
Ron Santo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rirruto » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:44 pm

I see him putting up Rafael Furcal type numbers with more SBs
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:45 pm

Yeah, you've hit the nail on the head of what has me worried, prhood.

That obp makes me seriously question his ceiling right now. But I've got a guy that will probably give up quite a lot in the way of draft picks along with Jose Reyes in a keeper league to get Carpenter right now. We keep 6 players and I'm trying to build a team for the future. I've got Pujols, Utley, Rolen, Chipper, Carpenter and Clement as keepers for next year but don't have quality draft picks.

If I could get maybe a 1st+ as well as getting Reyes then I could flip Rolen and Chipper to get younger and have a solid hitting core for this team for years to come. And with Utley/Reyes as my middle infield I'd have serious power AND speed at those positions freeing me up to concentrate my draft picks on picking up the best hitters period and not worrying about position scarcity. I just don't know if the guy came to me and offered me a 1st, 5th and Reyes for Carpenter if I'd take it. That obp number smells an awful lot like a faster version of Corey Patterson. Everything else is more in Reyes' favor of course but seeing a pro ball player with an obp that low (especially a guy with that kind of speed at the top of the order) is disappointing.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers