I think I'm a criminal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I think I'm a criminal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:54 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I actually have experience with this. I've had my share of speeding tickets, and I always paid them when I deserved them, but last summer while I was driving across the country I got a BS ticket in Utah that I fought via the mail and when they upheld the fine I decided I wasn't going to pay it. My fiance's father and brother are both in law enforcement so I asked them what the repurcussions would be. They told me that, unless it is an extreme circumstance, states will not go out of state to collect on a traffic fine. The state that you received the ticket from may issue a warrant, but warrants for traffic violations come off of the books after seven years. I now have a warrant in Utah and can't go back there until 2011, but who in the hell would want to go to Utah anyway?

Art Vandelay, we've decidied to transfer you to Provo, Utah.... :-D
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:36 am

Here's a question for you guys: What's (ethically) worse? Not paying traffic tickets or giving bad trade advice? :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:11 am

wrveres wrote:I also know this first hand too, as I was once doing 120 mph going thru Western Texas when I was caught. Since I had a California License they made me pay the ticket on the spot. the cop followed me over to the Magistrate where I plead quilty and paid 350.00.

That sucked.
the cop was laughing at me too, cus I had a radar detector.
He said to me.
"Hey Boy, just so you know, we don't need Radar when you are going 120" and then laughed his ass off on the way back to the car. :-t :-t

Welcome to Texas. :-D

As to the guy who started the thread, I'd call a lawyer and let him handle it. Most of the time they can knock down the fines quite a bit, and just in case there's any real trouble out there, he can make that go away as well.

I wouldn't just ignore them though. Dallas did a big sweep thing a few months back. The even issued out warrants and arrested city employees who had outstanding tickets.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:25 am

mweir145 wrote:Here's a question for you guys: What's (ethically) worse? Not paying traffic tickets or giving bad trade advice? :-b

Definitely the latter :-D
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:54 pm

mweir145 wrote:Here's a question for you guys: What's (ethically) worse? Not paying traffic tickets or giving bad trade advice? :-b

It depends on the ticket. Not paying a ticket is not necessarily an uneithical action. I've had five speeding tickets in my life and I've paid four of them without protest because I was speeding those times and have no problem paying when I should. But the other time was a bogus ticket issued by an a-hole sheriff with a chip on his shoulder and a bone to pick. I will go to jail before I pay that fine.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:56 pm

dude, let it go :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:58 pm

wrveres wrote:

dude, let it go :-o

ha

I have huge issues with traffic laws..Like more people should get tickets for driving slow and retarded.

Thats more dangerous then people driving fast!

Also, as you may have read in a previous rant I don't get how someone who stops in the middle of the road where you aren't allowed to stop isn't liable when I smash into them.

I'd pay the ticket. But only when you havemoney. And don't get caught again! Drive slower. Geez
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:40 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

It depends on the ticket. Not paying a ticket is not necessarily an uneithical action. I've had five speeding tickets in my life and I've paid four of them without protest because I was speeding those times and have no problem paying when I should. But the other time was a bogus ticket issued by an a-hole sheriff with a chip on his shoulder and a bone to pick. I will go to jail before I pay that fine.

I'm sure it was... :rollseyes: :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby stevethumb » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:08 pm

up here in maine we have a hot story....a tractor trailer driver who has had his license suspended 14 times in a 12 year period recently killed a woman on the turnpike 12 hours after having been stopped in NY state and given a ticket for a few minor violations (log not up to date, etc) .. in fact 10 years ago he killed another woman in a traffic accident .. currently the cumberland county police are tracking all drivers w/suspended licenses and are parking their cruisers in the neighborhoods of these habitual offenders in an effort to catch them driving ... if you do the crime, then pay the fine !!
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bleach168 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:12 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:who in the hell would want to go to Utah anyway?

There's some damn fine skiing resorts in Utah.

(if you can stand the mormons ) :-D
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk