Memorable Fantasy Draft Trash Talk? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Memorable Fantasy Draft Trash Talk?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby gofish » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:24 pm

Not draft but a guy calling me a moron for not trading Papi to him for his best offer of 'all star Sean Casey' and Sammy Sosa. B-)
gofish
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Broncmet724 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:17 pm

Umm, depending on the scoring in the league I would rather have Culpepper at QB over Manning
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby warrick95 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:31 pm

How'd you rather have C-Pepp?

I don't really remember much...I focus more on the draft than the talk. My reactions are more of anger for players taken ahead of me. Come to think of it, I was angry that I got Smoltz instead of Halladay. That worked out pretty nicely, although for an injury reason.

Personally, I don't do that much trash talk. I let my play speak instead of words. ;-D
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby godallahstar » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:56 pm

1st year in this new keeper league my friends roommate set up.

Granted I took reyes fairly early, maybe round 5?

Everytime any 2nd baseman was taken, I mocked everyone and told them it was a waste or a dumb pick, and to watch as I'll wait til the last round to pick my starting 2nd baseman for the year ... Okay I ran out of people to pick so in the 23rd round (I think?) I took jorge cantu,
And everyone thought I was dumb.

The end.

(nevermind the fact my 1st round pick was beltre)
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jskidder » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:50 pm

a few years back (the year after they won the sb i think), a kid in my long-running football league took baltimore d with the number 1 overall pick. he claimed that it seemed like the scoring favored defense. of course, this has been the subject of much ripping ever since. the league has since become a dynasty league, and this year the guy who had the first pick after keepers were given out posted "was baltimore def kept, or are they available?" a few minutes before the draft began. absolutely hilarious.
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nikku88 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:19 am

Some guy trashed me for taking Matsui in the 5th saying that you could get guys just as talented later. He never could give any examples though and I still like it.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jjigglers » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:45 am

When Andruw Jones came off the board, the guys in my league recall me jokingly reminding the guy that outfield assists weren't a category.

Doh.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:29 am

Before I made my last pick in the draft of one of my keeper leagues, I told the league I was making the biggest draft steal of the year.

My pick....................

Brandon Backe.

:~(

Dropped him after hanging on to him for way too long. !+) Missed that one big time. !+)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby theclefe » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:43 pm

I called Toby Hall the next Babe Ruth when I grabbed him in 2001. He hasn't gotten to that level yet, but I have faith. :,-(
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby daullaz » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:46 pm

Our cult hero is Pablo Ozuna. I saw his name deep in the rankings of a fantasy mag three years ago, and called out his name "PAH-BLOOOOOOOOOOOO-ZUUUU-NAHH!" He gets picked at least five times in each of our leagues (BB and FB) each year now, :-b

We also had a guy in BB a few years back that didn't keep up with his roster, so he had a bunch of DL guys in his rotation. The worst of it was he still had Darryl Kile active through the whole season that year. He still hears about that one a lot.

This year one of the guys at our draft was too preoccupied with other things to keep track of what positions he had drafted. Here's his team at the draft (I've bolded the OFs for you to see):

Keepers:
H.Blalock, 3B
F.Cordero, RP
C.Jones, 3B/OF
P.Konerko, 1B
M.Mulder, SP

Draft:
1.05 Scott Podsednik, OF
2.08 J.Reyes, 2B/SS
3.05 J.Kendall, C
4.08 M.Bradley, OF
5.05 R.Winn, OF
6.08 A.Jones, OF
7.05 R.Hidalgo, OF
8.08 D.Willis, SP
9.05 P.LoDuca, C
10.08 L.Gonzalez, OF
11.05 J.Jones, OF
12.08 B.Penny, SP
13.05 T.Nixon, OF
14.08 R.Palmerio, 1B
15.05 B.Webb, SP
16.08 T.Perez, OF

After he had realized what he had done, I was able to steal Andruw from him in a trade before the season. I love drunk guys at fantasy drafts!
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers