What's your favorite music? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What's your favorite music?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:39 am

The one genre I really like is hip hop. Old School hip hop, specifically. Gangsta is garbag-i-o. Bands like:

Leaders of the New School
Black Sheep
Gangstarr
De La Soul
Tribe Called Quest
Jungle Brothers

Additionally, I really despise country and modern day rock, with the exception of three bands:

DMB
No Doubt
Garbage

although I wouldn't put them in the same category exactly.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby DK » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:27 pm

thomasps3 wrote:The one genre I really like is hip hop. Old School hip hop, specifically. Gangsta is garbag-i-o. Bands like:

Black Sheep
Gangstarr
De La Soul
Tribe Called Quest
Jungle Brothers

Additionally, I really despise country and modern day rock, with the exception of three bands:

DMB
No Doubt
Garbage

No Doubt? :-o To each their own, I suppose.

;D ;D to a Tribe Called Quest, though.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:12 am

DK wrote:
thomasps3 wrote:The one genre I really like is hip hop. Old School hip hop, specifically. Gangsta is garbag-i-o. Bands like:

Black Sheep
Gangstarr
De La Soul
Tribe Called Quest
Jungle Brothers

DMB
No Doubt
Garbage

Tribe is off the hook ;-D

DK wrote:I'm a hip-hop fan. A lot of mainstream rap makes me want to vomit, but the underground stuff is truly great. I watch a ton of Def Poetry too, so it's the whole hip-hop aura.

I actually cover almost all ends of the spectrum, although I'm not a fan of most country. To give you an idea, the artists on my computer's audio player (I just got it repaired, so I don't have many songs as of now):

Sage Francis / Non-Prophets (Sage is the lead in the group)
Denizen Kane
Aesop Rock
Jason Mraz
Marvin Gaye
John Mayer
Saul Williams
Warsawpack
Jimi Hendrix
Miles Davis
Dave Matthews Band
Eminem
Aerosmith
Naughty by Nature
Kanye West
Outkast
2Pac
Mos Def

Those are the guys I have two or more songs of. That's just right now... In a couple of weeks that list will probably have tripled.

Sage is absolutely out of this world when it comes to hip-hop. He is the best artist on the planet, with no doubt in my mind.

Although you probably know them already, you should definitely check out Blackalicious and Gift of Gab (the lead in the group who has a solo album out that I love) ;-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:38 am

baseball6791 wrote:
DK wrote:

Glad you agree. ;D

baseball6791 wrote:
DK wrote:I'm a hip-hop fan. A lot of mainstream rap makes me want to vomit, but the underground stuff is truly great. I watch a ton of Def Poetry too, so it's the whole hip-hop aura.

I actually cover almost all ends of the spectrum, although I'm not a fan of most country. To give you an idea, the artists on my computer's audio player (I just got it repaired, so I don't have many songs as of now):

Denizen Kane
Aesop Rock
Jason Mraz
Marvin Gaye
John Mayer
Saul Williams
Warsawpack
Jimi Hendrix
Miles Davis
Dave Matthews Band
Eminem
Aerosmith
Naughty by Nature
Kanye West
Outkast
2Pac
Mos Def

Those are the guys I have two or more songs of. That's just right now... In a couple of weeks that list will probably have tripled.

Sage is absolutely out of this world when it comes to hip-hop. He is the best artist on the planet, with no doubt in my mind.

Although you probably know them already, you should definitely check out Blackalicious and Gift of Gab (the lead in the group who has a solo album out that I love) ;-D

I do know Blackalicious although I must admit I haven't heard too much stuff. A friend of mine has Blazing Arrow and I heard it once a while ago, although not very much since. I'll take a look-see and see what it's like. ;D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:27 am

DK wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:
DK wrote:

Glad you agree. ;D

baseball6791 wrote:

Denizen Kane
Aesop Rock
Jason Mraz
Marvin Gaye
John Mayer
Saul Williams
Warsawpack
Jimi Hendrix
Miles Davis
Dave Matthews Band
Eminem
Aerosmith
Naughty by Nature
Kanye West
Outkast
2Pac
Mos Def

I do know Blackalicious although I must admit I haven't heard too much stuff. A friend of mine has Blazing Arrow and I heard it once a while ago, although not very much since. I'll take a look-see and see what it's like. ;D

Awesome ;-) While you are at it though I would be sure to check out Gift of Gab's solo album 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up, some tracks on it are a little bit more mellow but his rhymes and lyrics are off the hook (see the song Evolution).
Another guy to check out would be Atmosphere, you may have heard of him already, but if not I'd give it a look. His stuff was a little weird at first but it grew on me the more I listened to it(as does Blackalicious).

[size=18]

baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:42 am

baseball6791 wrote:
DK wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:
DK wrote:

Glad you agree. ;D

baseball6791 wrote:

Denizen Kane
Aesop Rock
Jason Mraz
Marvin Gaye
John Mayer
Saul Williams
Warsawpack
Jimi Hendrix
Miles Davis
Dave Matthews Band
Eminem
Aerosmith
Naughty by Nature
Kanye West
Outkast
2Pac
Mos Def

Awesome ;-) While you are at it though I would be sure to check out Gift of Gab's solo album 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up, some tracks on it are a little bit more mellow but his rhymes and lyrics are off the hook (see the song Evolution).
Another guy to check out would be Atmosphere, you may have heard of him already, but if not I'd give it a look. His stuff was a little weird at first but it grew on me the more I listened to it(as does Blackalicious).

I have a seven-minute clip of Atmosphere (along with about four or five others) freestyling. Atmosphere's definitely one of my favorites. ;D

If I were you I'd check out Aesop Rock, although you've probably heard of him. He's definitely up there with Sage with the best in the world. I'm actually going into NYC to see Sage on October 8th, time permitting.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:45 am

DK wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:
DK wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:
DK wrote:

Glad you agree. ;D

baseball6791 wrote:

Denizen Kane
Aesop Rock
Jason Mraz
Marvin Gaye
John Mayer
Saul Williams
Warsawpack
Jimi Hendrix
Miles Davis
Dave Matthews Band
Eminem
Aerosmith
Naughty by Nature
Kanye West
Outkast
2Pac
Mos Def

I have a seven-minute clip of Atmosphere (along with about four or five others) freestyling. Atmosphere's definitely one of my favorites. ;D

If I were you I'd check out Aesop Rock, although you've probably heard of him. He's definitely up there with Sage with the best in the world. I'm actually going into NYC to see Sage on October 8th, time permitting.

Yeah I've got some Aesop Rock stuff although I haven't pulled it out in a while, I probably should. Thanks for the heads up on Sage though, I'm definitely going to download some of his stuff. Which of his albums is your favorite, seeing as I only have the cash for 1 right now :-b

[size=18]

baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:16 am

I gotta ask. Does anybody here listen to Immortal Technique?
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:18 am

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:I gotta ask. Does anybody here listen to Immortal Technique?

;-D for Immortal Technique, another great one who we forgot to mention.

[size=18]

baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:24 am

Whoo... tough call. They're all excellent, but if I had to choose one I'd say Personal Journals is the better of the two. You can get both on Amazon for $28.96 plus S&H.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk