drays sweep the angels - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

drays sweep the angels

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:07 am

Yep, it's nice to see us playing spoiler, although that means we'll have a lower draft pick. Ownership keeps on promising us that they'll go out and sign the necessary talent once our young guns are ready. Well, they're almost ready. Let's see if their words will result in actions. Hopefully so.

I have to revise your lineup there a tad...

LF Crawford
SS Upton...I have hope he stays here (but if not 3B)
RF Young
1B Huff
CF Baldelli
2B/3B Cantu
2B/SS Lugo
C Hall
DH Gathright

Not a big Jonny GOmes fan...hits for power and gets on base but has a horrific average. Looks like a Mark Bellhornish OF. Rays aren't too high on him, but he has done well, so maybe that has changed. I'm a big Joey fan...I think he's actually just as good if not better a leadoff man as Craw now because he knows how to draw a freaking walk here or there. I expected Craw to take steps forward but he has decided to hit for power instead of get a higher OBP.

Word is that we'll be dealing one of the OFs. We'll see who...out of Gomes, Baldelli, Gathright, Dukes.

Speaking of E, we do have Elijah Dukes, toolsy player, and Wes Bankston, who's burst onto the scene at 1B this year especially (he was solid in the past, too, but not anything like this) lurking, too. Both are doing quite well at AA and should be ready sometime next season.

I think it's completely possible that we're going to be selling Huff, Lugo, and Baez off soon...I wouldn't really mind that. It seems like Huffy's almost bored playing here.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:47 am

warrick95 wrote:Yep, it's nice to see us playing spoiler, although that means we'll have a lower draft pick. Ownership keeps on promising us that they'll go out and sign the necessary talent once our young guns are ready. Well, they're almost ready. Let's see if their words will result in actions. Hopefully so.

LF Crawford
RF Young
1B Huff
CF Baldelli
2B/3B Cantu
2B/SS Lugo
C Hall
DH Gathright

You really think they'd DH Gathright? That'd be something to see - the DH leading off the ballgame!

I agree, they'll have to move one of those OF.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:43 am

Guess which team has the best record in the AL East since the ASB?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:50 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Guess which team has the best record in the AL East since the ASB?

probably the same team that has won 27 of their last 42 ball games,,,, yes that is right the drays are 27-15 in their last 42 ball games.... and San D, i know warrick has already showed u a lineup,,, but there is no way that delmon young hits 8th in any lineup.... he will be the #3 man, possibly #4.... as far as DH, i am no fan of gomes or gathright really, so i would love to see us sign a respectable veteran for some leadership in the clubhouse and to also play some 1b/DH.... but 2006 is not the year the drays contend,,,, the payroll will still only be around 30 million or so next year, so we will have to wait til 2007 to upgrade the payroll any....but hopefully with upton and young moving to the bigs next year, "maybe" the drays fans will show up in abundance and make the great drays owner spend some cash on some veteran pitchers for 2007.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ramble2 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:20 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Guess which team has the best record in the AL East since the ASB?

probably the same team that has won 27 of their last 42 ball games,,,, yes that is right the drays are 27-15 in their last 42 ball games.... and San D, i know warrick has already showed u a lineup,,, but there is no way that delmon young hits 8th in any lineup.... he will be the #3 man, possibly #4.... as far as DH, i am no fan of gomes or gathright really, so i would love to see us sign a respectable veteran for some leadership in the clubhouse and to also play some 1b/DH.... but 2006 is not the year the drays contend,,,, the payroll will still only be around 30 million or so next year, so we will have to wait til 2007 to upgrade the payroll any....but hopefully with upton and young moving to the bigs next year, "maybe" the drays fans will show up in abundance and make the great drays owner spend some cash on some veteran pitchers for 2007.....

Or maybe there will be some changes in ownership. Isn't there a lawsuit or something moving along to force a change in the ownership structure? That's a sad situation. After all those years of MLB hyping up Tampa Bay and be stuck with that ownership group.

Sorry for being so vague, it's been a long night.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:50 am

I think the recent improvement might be due to the fact they are playing more home games.

2nd half at Home: 17-6
2nd half on the Road: 7-9
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby San D » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:34 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:

I agree that Delmon Young is a 3 or 4 hitter, but they may bat him low in the order, just so he doesn't feel pressure when he first comes up. I think Texas batted Teixeira 6th or 7th when he was first called up at the beginning of the 2003 season (he's the closest scenario I could think of). 8th is a stretch, but everybody above him is pretty good and more proven.

The lineup I posted was if the Rays did nothing, but I see them trading Huff (and Baez) this offseason, and I don't feel comfortable with Gomes either. Someone else mentioned Niemann and Townsend. They could possibly have impact in 2007. So, if Huff and Baez bring something in, maybe 2007 would be the year TB ownership spends a little.

However, they don't need to wait. They could contend now (2006) with a couple of free agent pitchers. As I said earlier...the pieces are in place! ;-D
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby warrick95 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:00 pm

ramble2 wrote:
warrick95 wrote:Yep, it's nice to see us playing spoiler, although that means we'll have a lower draft pick. Ownership keeps on promising us that they'll go out and sign the necessary talent once our young guns are ready. Well, they're almost ready. Let's see if their words will result in actions. Hopefully so.

LF Crawford
RF Young
1B Huff
CF Baldelli
2B/3B Cantu
2B/SS Lugo
C Hall
DH Gathright

You really think they'd DH Gathright? That'd be something to see - the DH leading off the ballgame!

I agree, they'll have to move one of those OF.

As it stands now, if they want Joey in the lineup, they'd prob. DH him. Baldelli, Craw, and Young are superior defenders. Joey's speed lets him make superb plays at times, but he's still quite raw on defense. Personally, unlike raiders, I want to see Joey stay and start. I'm a fan of his because I want to see the speed wreak havoc on opposing teams with Craw/Gathright back to back somewhere in the lineup. I don't want to sign a veteran player, considering the choices LaMar has made thus far in veteran players (e.g. Danny Bautista, Roberto Alomar, Greg Vaughn).
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Iconoclastic » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:21 am

How can you guys not like Jonny Gomes? He brings a great attitude to the ballpark and is a 30 HR hitter on offense. And his average is like .280, not even close to horrific.

OPS= .950

Gomes= AL ROY
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:23 am

Hope he wins ROY. Better trade bait. I just can't see him as more than a 4th OF, personally. That said, I'd rather him be the DH than Gathright.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Previous

Return to Tampa Bay Rays