AL EAST - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL EAST

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

who will win the al east

Boston
39
56%
New York
17
24%
Baltimore
1
1%
Toronto
5
7%
Tampa Bay
8
11%
 
Total votes : 70

Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:30 pm

I hope the Jays win. Be so funny :-D . Of course it will be the Yankees and Red sox down to the last week of course :-/
Image
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5200
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

Postby blankman » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:16 pm

Shakes wrote:instead of the typical replonse im going to give a valid 1 why the sox will win.

1. Look at schedules. pretty much the rest of the season is against the AL east. Now look again. Red Sox are basically playing at home while the yankees are away a lot more. Considering how well the sox play at home this is a HUGE factor (sox win 18 of 19 last home games)

2. Pitching lets face up and admit. Both teams pitching sucks. Curt schilling isn't curt and RJ defintly isn't RJ of last year. There is no number 1 starter for either team. Both bullpens are overused and abused. The only thing the yankees got going for them is a solid closer. Red Sox had to resort to farm system to fill holes while yankees grabbed anyone and everyone off waviers. The only thing that is good about foulke and curt just getting back to thier roles is that they won't be as tired as the rest. Niether teams pitching is getting the job done no one has an advantage.

3. Hitting. Ortiz & Manny have a comined 233RBI, Arod & Shef have 205. While Arod is leading in sluging which is way more important Manny and Ortiz are 2 & 3 while shef is down in 14th place BEHIND Tek. Damon is having a phenomial year in leadoff better then jeter (sits back and waits for jeter fans to argue). sox hitting general is stronger espially since they got rid of bellhorn. Graffino is hitting .400+ in fenway cannot argue with that. Millar actually hit a HR, hell froze over the world rejoiced, then he did it again and starting to show signs of life. Gaimbi has been hot and carring the yankees right now. Overall yet again the red sox are scoring more runs then anyone else in the AL east.

I'm not saying the yankees don't have a chance im just saying red sox have the better chance. Espially since they are already in 1st. However last bunch os WS winners have been wildcard yankees just gotta hold off oakland/angels and clevand.


1. Yanks play worse teams but on the road. Maybe Boston has the advantage there.

2. RJ has come around. Other than that, both rotations have problems. Gordon and Rivera easily trump anything Boston can throw out there though.

3. RBI's? Come on now, you know better than to use that stat to judge players. I'm not going to bother with that argument of 3-4 guys. Its been had already and the statistical conclusion was overwhelming in NY's favor.

What's the job of a leadoff hitter? To get on base right? Then please explain why Damon has the advantage when his OBP is 20 points lower than Jeter's(ranks 4th, ahead of Ortiz and only behind Giambi, ARod and Hafner). The two are nearly identical in WS and RC, with one leading WS by one and the other leading RC by 1.4 runs. If you subscribe to OPS as your stat, then how come Jeter leads by 13 points? Want to go with hits? 3 hits difference for Damon. Runs your judgement? Identical at 100. Walks? Jeter leads by 19. HR's? Again, Jeter by 5. So how is it that Damon has been the better leadoff hitter by any legitimate margin?

Not saying the NY offense is better, but please use at least some useful stats if you're going to compare hitters to each other.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokey » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:38 pm

blankman wrote:
Shakes wrote:instead of the typical replonse im going to give a valid 1 why the sox will win.

1. Look at schedules. pretty much the rest of the season is against the AL east. Now look again. Red Sox are basically playing at home while the yankees are away a lot more. Considering how well the sox play at home this is a HUGE factor (sox win 18 of 19 last home games)

2. Pitching lets face up and admit. Both teams pitching sucks. Curt schilling isn't curt and RJ defintly isn't RJ of last year. There is no number 1 starter for either team. Both bullpens are overused and abused. The only thing the yankees got going for them is a solid closer. Red Sox had to resort to farm system to fill holes while yankees grabbed anyone and everyone off waviers. The only thing that is good about foulke and curt just getting back to thier roles is that they won't be as tired as the rest. Niether teams pitching is getting the job done no one has an advantage.

3. Hitting. Ortiz & Manny have a comined 233RBI, Arod & Shef have 205. While Arod is leading in sluging which is way more important Manny and Ortiz are 2 & 3 while shef is down in 14th place BEHIND Tek. Damon is having a phenomial year in leadoff better then jeter (sits back and waits for jeter fans to argue). sox hitting general is stronger espially since they got rid of bellhorn. Graffino is hitting .400+ in fenway cannot argue with that. Millar actually hit a HR, hell froze over the world rejoiced, then he did it again and starting to show signs of life. Gaimbi has been hot and carring the yankees right now. Overall yet again the red sox are scoring more runs then anyone else in the AL east.

I'm not saying the yankees don't have a chance im just saying red sox have the better chance. Espially since they are already in 1st. However last bunch os WS winners have been wildcard yankees just gotta hold off oakland/angels and clevand.


1. Yanks play worse teams but on the road. Maybe Boston has the advantage there.

2. RJ has come around. Other than that, both rotations have problems. Gordon and Rivera easily trump anything Boston can throw out there though.

3. RBI's? Come on now, you know better than to use that stat to judge players. I'm not going to bother with that argument of 3-4 guys. Its been had already and the statistical conclusion was overwhelming in NY's favor.

What's the job of a leadoff hitter? To get on base right? Then please explain why Damon has the advantage when his OBP is 20 points lower than Jeter's(ranks 4th, ahead of Ortiz and only behind Giambi, ARod and Hafner). The two are nearly identical in WS and RC, with one leading WS by one and the other leading RC by 1.4 runs. If you subscribe to OPS as your stat, then how come Jeter leads by 13 points? Want to go with hits? 3 hits difference for Damon. Runs your judgement? Identical at 100. Walks? Jeter leads by 19. HR's? Again, Jeter by 5. So how is it that Damon has been the better leadoff hitter by any legitimate margin?

Not saying the NY offense is better, but please use at least some useful stats if you're going to compare hitters to each other.


That's true, but the RBI's of a teams 3/4 hitters are a decent indicator of the production of the top of that teams order.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1144
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Vermont

Postby RynMan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:53 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm losing interest in fantasy and thus the Cafe since my team is stuck in 2nd place and won't be going anywhere up or down for the rest of the season.

So to keep my interest I'm going to guarentee right now that the New York Yankees will not only win the American League's Eastern Division, but in the process, will BOUNCE the Red Sox from the playoffs entirely.

That would be great revenge. To knock them out of the playoffs during the last three games of the season in their home ballpark for the world to see.... :-L

Anyways....I guarentee it. :-)


One thing that I have learnt from this game is that there are never any guarantees in baseball. Anyone who makes a guarantee is doing so with a good chance that they will end up looking like a fool.
Last edited by RynMan on Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:54 pm

Four games in the loss column--even when the teams have six games remaining--is very difficult to make up in one month.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:51 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Are you comparing steroids to payroll? Honestly? Or are you just joking around? 'Cause it's pretty laughable.
lol yes it is



:-b :-b
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1790
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On the Golf Course

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:34 am

Boston still up 3.5.




Just making sure everyone knew that. O:-)
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Posts: 7189
Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Golfing

Postby da1chipo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:30 pm

kingctb27 wrote:Boston still up 3.5.




Just making sure everyone knew that. O:-)


I suppose you might as well enjoy it while you can. ;-D
Image
da1chipo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Award-Winning Graphics Expert
Posts: 1930
Joined: 17 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NY

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:55 am

da1chipo wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:Boston still up 3.5.




Just making sure everyone knew that. O:-)


I suppose you might as well enjoy it while you can. ;-D
ooooo

lol

i never thought the sox could pull it off, but now to see the moose go down... if i was a yankee fan i would begin to worry
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1790
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On the Golf Course

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact