7%
Tampa Bay
11%

Total votes : 70

Postby Lime » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:28 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lime wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lime wrote:There needs to be an asterisk beside New York, as really they can't "win" anything. Whatever they "win" is simply a successful purchase.

Then the same goes for Boston. Be consistent.

I don't think the Red Sox are doing anything more than be a big market team. Yankees have gone way way way wayyy beyond that for the last few years to the point of cheating.

Do you know what World Series winner had the highest payroll in MLB history?

Did you know that the team with the highest payroll in baseball history also committed the greatest post-season choke in baseball history? Neat fact huh. Can you guess the team?
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lime » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:31 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lime wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lime wrote:There needs to be an asterisk beside New York, as really they can't "win" anything. Whatever they "win" is simply a successful purchase.

Then the same goes for Boston. Be consistent.

I don't think the Red Sox are doing anything more than be a big market team. Yankees have gone way way way wayyy beyond that for the last few years to the point of cheating.

PS- I don't see any rules agaisnt what the Yankees are doing, do you? You can't be cheating if you're playing within the rules of the game now can you?

PS - I didn't see any rules against McGuire and Canseco juicing up at the time they did it, did you? I suppose they were never cheaters as well, as they didn't do anything beyond the rules of the game.
Lime
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:32 am

And that has what to do with your point? You said the Yankees can't be considered to be winners, just that they successfully bought something.

I said the Red Sox have to be in that same boat. You're obviously biased towards the Red Sox so you argued against me. I told you that the Red Sox are the team with the richest payroll in MLB history to win a World Series, to help prove my point.

Then you give me that? What good does that do? How does that contribute to the argument? It has nothing to do with it. If you're going to get all defensive when somebody points something out about the Red Sox that you may not like, maybe you should go somewhere else. This isn't an insult match, it's a debate. If you have something to say in response go ahead, but make sure it is relavent.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:34 am

Are you comparing steroids to payroll? Honestly? Or are you just joking around? 'Cause it's pretty laughable.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pokey » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:44 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm losing interest in fantasy and thus the Cafe since my team is stuck in 2nd place and won't be going anywhere up or down for the rest of the season.

So to keep my interest I'm going to guarentee right now that the New York Yankees will not only win the American League's Eastern Division, but in the process, will BOUNCE the Red Sox from the playoffs entirely.

That would be great revenge. To knock them out of the playoffs during the last three games of the season in their home ballpark for the world to see.... :-L

Anyways....I guarentee it. :-)

I don't see it happening.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:45 am

Pokey wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm losing interest in fantasy and thus the Cafe since my team is stuck in 2nd place and won't be going anywhere up or down for the rest of the season.

So to keep my interest I'm going to guarentee right now that the New York Yankees will not only win the American League's Eastern Division, but in the process, will BOUNCE the Red Sox from the playoffs entirely.

That would be great revenge. To knock them out of the playoffs during the last three games of the season in their home ballpark for the world to see.... :-L

Maybe not but it'll at least keep people angry at me enough to keep me around here more often. I need something to focus on now that my fantasy season is over. :-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:39 pm

Pokey wrote:

Lose interest in fantasy baseball.....did I just hear those words......Ahhhhhh

Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Shakes » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:27 pm

instead of the typical replonse im going to give a valid 1 why the sox will win.

1. Look at schedules. pretty much the rest of the season is against the AL east. Now look again. Red Sox are basically playing at home while the yankees are away a lot more. Considering how well the sox play at home this is a HUGE factor (sox win 18 of 19 last home games)

2. Pitching lets face up and admit. Both teams pitching sucks. Curt schilling isn't curt and RJ defintly isn't RJ of last year. There is no number 1 starter for either team. Both bullpens are overused and abused. The only thing the yankees got going for them is a solid closer. Red Sox had to resort to farm system to fill holes while yankees grabbed anyone and everyone off waviers. The only thing that is good about foulke and curt just getting back to thier roles is that they won't be as tired as the rest. Niether teams pitching is getting the job done no one has an advantage.

3. Hitting. Ortiz & Manny have a comined 233RBI, Arod & Shef have 205. While Arod is leading in sluging which is way more important Manny and Ortiz are 2 & 3 while shef is down in 14th place BEHIND Tek. Damon is having a phenomial year in leadoff better then jeter (sits back and waits for jeter fans to argue). sox hitting general is stronger espially since they got rid of bellhorn. Graffino is hitting .400+ in fenway cannot argue with that. Millar actually hit a HR, hell froze over the world rejoiced, then he did it again and starting to show signs of life. Gaimbi has been hot and carring the yankees right now. Overall yet again the red sox are scoring more runs then anyone else in the AL east.

I'm not saying the yankees don't have a chance im just saying red sox have the better chance. Espially since they are already in 1st. However last bunch os WS winners have been wildcard yankees just gotta hold off oakland/angels and clevand.
I'm a better lover when your drunk.
Shakes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BritSox » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:37 pm

Shakes wrote:instead of the typical replonse im going to give a valid 1 why the sox will win.

1. Look at schedules. pretty much the rest of the season is against the AL east. Now look again. Red Sox are basically playing at home while the yankees are away a lot more. Considering how well the sox play at home this is a HUGE factor (sox win 18 of 19 last home games)

2. Pitching lets face up and admit. Both teams pitching sucks. Curt schilling isn't curt and RJ defintly isn't RJ of last year. There is no number 1 starter for either team. Both bullpens are overused and abused. The only thing the yankees got going for them is a solid closer. Red Sox had to resort to farm system to fill holes while yankees grabbed anyone and everyone off waviers. The only thing that is good about foulke and curt just getting back to thier roles is that they won't be as tired as the rest. Neither teams pitching is getting the job done no one has an advantage.

3. Hitting. Ortiz & Manny have a comined 233RBI, Arod & Shef have 205. While Arod is leading in sluging which is way more important Manny and Ortiz are 2 & 3 while shef is down in 14th place BEHIND Tek. Damon is having a phenomial year in leadoff better then jeter (sits back and waits for jeter fans to argue). sox hitting general is stronger espially since they got rid of bellhorn. Graffino is hitting .400+ in fenway cannot argue with that. Millar actually hit a HR, hell froze over the world rejoiced, then he did it again and starting to show signs of life. Gaimbi has been hot and carring the yankees right now. Overall yet again the red sox are scoring more runs then anyone else in the AL east.

I'm not saying the yankees don't have a chance im just saying red sox have the better chance. Espially since they are already in 1st. However last bunch os WS winners have been wildcard yankees just gotta hold off oakland/angels and clevand.

Just to play Advocatus Diaboli:

1. The schedules are similar, apart i think from the Sox having an extra Angels series when the Yanks are facing the DRays. It's tight enough for that to make the difference.

2. The Chokers have probably two solid bullpen arms, in Fruitbat and Flash, and the former is so much better than what we have it isn't even funny. RJ may not be coming close to justifying the Yanks' investment, but he has been pitching better for a while now, which can't be said of Curt.

3. Sheff is creating plenty of runs, his SLG disadvantage being made up for by his insane clutchness. As a whole, the Yankee lineup might well be close enough to ours to make up the pitching disadvantage.

I think the key period is the week after the O's series, when we go to the toilet and face our owners, the Jays. If we leave that little sequence with any kidn of lead, I'll be pretty damn confident.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby mweir145 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:24 pm

BritSox wrote:
I think the key period is the week after the O's series, when we go to the toilet and face our owners, the Jays. If we leave that little sequence with any kidn of lead, I'll be pretty damn confident.

The Sox have to play the Jays seven more times. Those are going to be some tough games for them. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers