Ethics ... Morals ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ethics ... Morals ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:45 pm

mweir145 wrote:
josebach wrote:
BaseballFann0008 wrote:oh and one more thing steroids dont help you hit a 95+ mph fastball either

From your last few posts, I would guess you're 15 yrs old or younger? Do I win a prize?

This matters in the terms of this thread because...? :-?

Is it a crime to be 15 yrs old or younger, and post on these boards? :-?
lol not even close, i just think its funny all of you people take this cafe so seriously like its your job, get a sense of humor ;-D
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:04 pm

warrick95 wrote:The problem here is that many people have a different definition of proper ethics and morals, just as people have different ways of conduct. I think that as peers, we should offer our $0.02, but not go onto a crazy persecuting witch-hunt if we believe that their morals are flawed. If that's the way that they think, even with our rational thoughts on the matter, let them be. We don't want to sound sanctimonious.

I agree, people perspectives on the issue will differ and we can offer our opinions and perspectives on the issue and be done with it. There is no need to call people out and go witch-hunting.

mweir145 wrote:
josebach wrote:
BaseballFann0008 wrote:oh and one more thing steroids dont help you hit a 95+ mph fastball either

From your last few posts, I would guess you're 15 yrs old or younger? Do I win a prize?

This matters in the terms of this thread because...? :-?

Is it a crime to be 15 yrs old or younger, and post on these boards? :-?

Agreed. If you have a problem with someone take it up via PM. Also, age should have nothing to do with it, its the quality of the opinions and ideas the person is bringing to the table that should matter, not whether it is coming from a 30 year old or a 13 year old.

mweir145 wrote:
BaseballFann0008 wrote:
BobbyRoberto wrote:
i agree with you...you gotta do what you gotta do to win

That statement opens up a whole can of worms. Seriously, if you take it literally then you should have no problem with steroid-use, corked bats, scuffing the ball (pitchers), grabbing someone's belt loop (an old-school method of cheating), tripping a baserunner, doing the Alex Rodriguez arm slap, etc.
its easy to say bending the rules is bad as a spectator, but put youself in the persons shoes, its natural instinct to w/e it takes to be the best

Exactly, athletes put huge pressure on themselves to exceed at the highest level, and many of them will do whatever it takes to succeed.

Agreed to an extent, I can see where the pressure comes from, and playing high school sports I can feel that pressure myself and see why a person might choose to do it, but that still does not make it right or within the rules.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby WharfRat » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:06 pm

warrick95 wrote:The problem here is that many people have a different definition of proper ethics and morals, just as people have different ways of conduct. I think that as peers, we should offer our $0.02, but not go onto a crazy persecuting witch-hunt if we believe that their morals are flawed. If that's the way that they think, even with our rational thoughts on the matter, let them be. We don't want to sound sanctimonious.

Well said.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:13 pm

baseball6791 wrote:Agreed to an extent, I can see where the pressure comes from, and playing high school sports I can feel that pressure myself and see why a person might choose to do it, but that still does not make it right or within the rules.

You are right, and you can certainly see why many athletes consider trying steroids.
Last edited by mweir145 on Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby stevethumb » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:47 pm

please refer to my basic rule......Be Nice.....gets you by in just about any situation
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:57 pm

mweir145 wrote:Oh come on, it was pretty clear from the last sentence of his post that it was about me.

And why are you showing me that example? That has almost nothing in common with my situation at all. That's an example of somebody doing an unethical move in fantasy baseball, my thread is about giving advice that could be seen as unethical. I can't realize I've done something wrong, because I didn't do anything in the first place...

Believe what you like, I'm not wasting my time with you anymore. Here's just a few threads that we currently have that deal with morals/ethics:

Churning and Hail Mary:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155728

Quantity over quality:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155883

Collusion:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155916

Trade practices:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155956

Those are all recent threads dealing with morals/ethics. Yes, your thread is included in those, but that doesn't mean this is about you. It's about things that are much bigger than just you.

BobbyRoberto wrote:That statement opens up a whole can of worms. Seriously, if you take it literally then you should have no problem with steroid-use, corked bats, scuffing the ball (pitchers), grabbing someone's belt loop (an old-school method of cheating), tripping a baserunner, doing the Alex Rodriguez arm slap, etc.
baseballfan0008 wrote:its easy to say bending the rules is bad as a spectator, but put youself in the persons shoes, its natural instinct to w/e it takes to be the best

Baseballfan, are you saying it's human nature to cheat? :-? If so, someone definitely lied to you. :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:09 pm

Madison wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Oh come on, it was pretty clear from the last sentence of his post that it was about me.

And why are you showing me that example? That has almost nothing in common with my situation at all. That's an example of somebody doing an unethical move in fantasy baseball, my thread is about giving advice that could be seen as unethical. I can't realize I've done something wrong, because I didn't do anything in the first place...

Believe what you like, I'm not wasting my time with you anymore. Here's just a few threads that we currently have that deal with morals/ethics:

Churning and Hail Mary:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155728

Quantity over quality:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155883

Collusion:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155916

Trade practices:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155956

Those are all recent threads dealing with morals/ethics. Yes, your thread is included in those, but that doesn't mean this is about you. It's about things that are much bigger than just you.

If by wasting your time you mean continually posting about me, then I'm extremely glad you've finally stopped.

And you do realize that those threads don't have much in common with my situation at all.Those are all examples of somebody at this cafe doing an unethical move in fantasy baseball. While my thread is about giving advice (not knowing that it would have any repercussions) that could be seen as unethical. I've never done any of the things on any of those other threads, so get off your high-horse, and look at this fairly from my perspective.

And Madison, you do realize that the bottom of the first post says "Don't **** with Madison." If this thread is not about me and the Halladay thread in particular, can you give me any reason for that comment being there?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:16 pm

Again, for those who have trouble reading and comprehending, this thread is not specifically about anyone.

All the threads I linked to deal with morals, and ethics. That is what this thread is here to discuss. They are good examples to use for discussion, and there's nothing wrong with discussing what type of behavior is morally correct, and which ones are not.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:21 pm

Madison wrote: They are good examples to use for discussion, and there's nothing wrong with discussing what type of behavior is morally correct, and which ones are not.

I never said there was anything wrong with you posting those examples, but I'd like to make sure everyone knows the difference between the Halladay thread and the others.

That's okay, right?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:31 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Madison wrote: They are good examples to use for discussion, and there's nothing wrong with discussing what type of behavior is morally correct, and which ones are not.

I never said there was anything wrong with you posting those examples, but I'd like to make sure everyone knows the difference between the Halladay thread and the others.

That's okay, right?

No, they are all morals/ethics situations. Your thread is not "special" in any way. How you can argue otherwise, and actually believe it, is sheer lunacy.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers