Mark Prior's pitch counts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark Prior's pitch counts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mark Prior's pitch counts

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:08 pm

Is anyone worried about Mark Prior's high pitch counts? He is averaging 111 pitches/game. That can't be good for a 22 year old pitcher. I guess the Cubs haven't learned from Kerry Wood...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:16 pm

Dusty Baker has a history of being a manager very much in the Jeff Torborg mould when it comes to managing a pitching staff. He has always overdone pitch counts and overworked his starting pitchers, resulting in many injuries or cases of ineffectiveness later in their season and career. Rob Nen and the fall of Felix Rodriquez from being an lights out setup man to ineffectiveness were the most recent examples of Dusty's abuse.

I think that there's no doubt both Wood and Prior will pay for their heavy workloads at some point, either by having a sharp dropoff or getting injured. It might not necessarily happen this year, but if the workloads don't improve, Prior and Wood might be best avoided next year even if they hold up for this season. In a single season league, I would strongly consider dealing Prior or Wood if I had them because there is the very real chance of either or both of them getting injured or having a severe second half dropoff. Get top value for them while their value is high.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LCBOY » Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:23 pm

jdh wrote:Dusty Baker has a history of being a manager very much in the Jeff Torborg mould when it comes to managing a pitching staff. He has always overdone pitch counts and overworked his starting pitchers, resulting in many injuries or cases of ineffectiveness later in their season and career. Rob Nen and the fall of Felix Rodriquez from being an lights out setup man to ineffectiveness were the most recent examples of Dusty's abuse.

I think that there's no doubt both Wood and Prior will pay for their heavy workloads at some point, either by having a sharp dropoff or getting injured. It might not necessarily happen this year, but if the workloads don't improve, Prior and Wood might be best avoided next year even if they hold up for this season. In a single season league, I would strongly consider dealing Prior or Wood if I had them because there is the very real chance of either or both of them getting injured or having a severe second half dropoff. Get top value for them while their value is high.

I agree. I think the problem with the Cubs is that Prior and Wood are not economical with there pitches. It is common for both of them to reach 90 pitches by the 6th inning....
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:54 am

Both Prior and Wood throw too many pitches, in my opinion. Both are injury risks. Prior is solid at release, so he may be able to handle higher pitch counts, but only time will tell.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby trevisc » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:48 am

It's a shame to waste such talented arms by stressing them out at such a young age. They compare these guys to roger clemens and nolen ryan and expect them to be work horses like they are/were. the bottom line is it takes time for you to get your body used to pitching to where you can throw 120+ innings every outing like RJ or Clemens. I have a feeling that Prior will either:

A. Go on the DL win "tendonitis" or something
B. Get his pitch count severly limited in August/September.

Hopefully it will be B. for his sake.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Return to Baseball Leftovers