Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Lawton to Yankees?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:48 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Lawton isn't a good top of the order hitter? He's a hole and a rally killer like Cano? Weren't you going crazy over Cano about a month ago, saying how great of a player he was, and that he had the number 2 spot locked up? I guess that changed pretty quickly...

Suggesting Tony Womack should play based on 3 starts is insanity. The guy is terrible. In every facet. He's not near the same player as Matt Lawton or Bernie Williams. He's not in either of their leagues, even with Bernie's declining skill. You're complaining about giving up a single-A pitching prospect that nobody has ever heard of for a guy that can really help the team? Give me a break.

That RBI double just now is why Matsui should hit 2nd.

I dont think one at bat should determine the batting order.

In my personal opinion, I find the Yankees batting order to be much more dangerous with Matsui batting in the 2 hole than it ever had been before.

I'm not saying he shouldnt bat 2nd. Just that one at bat should not determine the batting order. He hasnt even seen lawton hit as a yankee.

NO ONE has. You willing to let him hit second having never seen him is the exact same thing as me not willing to have him hit second.

I hope he suceeds but I'm not willing to just give him the 2nd spot right now.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:51 pm

I don't think the Yankees are going to change Matsui out of the 2nd spot because it seems like they have been winning more games with him there.
Also, pitchers can no longer pitch around Jeter to get to Cano or Williams in late game situations.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:51 pm

blankman wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Lawton isn't a good top of the order hitter? He's a hole and a rally killer like Cano? Weren't you going crazy over Cano about a month ago, saying how great of a player he was, and that he had the number 2 spot locked up? I guess that changed pretty quickly...

Suggesting Tony Womack should play based on 3 starts is insanity. The guy is terrible. In every facet. He's not near the same player as Matt Lawton or Bernie Williams. He's not in either of their leagues, even with Bernie's declining skill. You're complaining about giving up a single-A pitching prospect that nobody has ever heard of for a guy that can really help the team? Give me a break.

I don't agree with you. One at bat should not be what decides the batting order.

1 at bat a game over 35 or so more games is a lot of at bats.

:-?
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:52 pm

blankman wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:

In my personal opinion, I find the Yankees batting order to be much more dangerous with Matsui batting in the 2 hole than it ever had been before.

I'm not saying he shouldnt bat 2nd. Just that one at bat should not determine the batting order. He hasnt even seen lawton hit as a yankee.

NO ONE has. You willing to let him hit second having never seen him is the exact same thing as me not willing to have him hit second.

who was that walking down to first??? ;-7
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:53 pm

mweir145 wrote:I don't think the Yankees are going to change Matsui out of the 2nd spot because it seems like they have been winning more games with him there.
Also, pitchers can no longer pitch around Jeter to get to Cano or Williams in late game situations.

your right, now they can just pitch around the league mvp.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:56 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:

Oh ok....one walk and all of a sudden he's worthy of hitting 2nd in this lineup ;-7

He's got to earn it; you don't just give it to him, because he sure hasn't earned it yet.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:56 pm

blankman wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:

Oh ok....one walk and all of a sudden he's worthy of hitting 2nd in this lineup ;-7

He's got to earn it; you don't just give it to him, because he sure hasn't earned it yet.

101 G With Pitt: .273/380/.433/.813

Im not the one going off of one at bat. That was you.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:59 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:

101 G With Pitt: .273/380/.433/.813

Thats not good enough for me with a guy just coming here. I guess his games with the Cubs don't count though ;-7 He has to produce here first; he's not a superstar that you know will perform.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Blank, you were willing to give Cano the second spot in the order right after he strung together a couple of good games and called him a lock there. He had no major league experience prior to that, but you were going by a couple of good games by him to put him there and say he's the only one that will hit there. I don't understand how you'd freely give the spot to an unproven rookie, but wouldn't accept Lawton, a guy that's a veteran and has been playing for over 10 years in the leauge. I'm not discounting Matsui there or anything, but I'm just saying I don't see the logic on this one.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby davidmarver » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:07 pm

Matt Lawton's VORP this season is 24.6...higher than Mike Cameron, Jermaine Dye, Aubrey Huff, Jacque Jones, Garret Anderson, Carlos Beltran, and much higher than Bernie Williams'. He also ranks 22nd for NL outfielders in Win Shares.

To put it short: he's a good acquisition and does belong in the Yankees lineup.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers