Matt Lawton to Yankees? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Lawton to Yankees?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:21 pm

They can move Womack back to the bench where he does the least amount of harm. Cano is better defensively and offensively to Womack, struggles or not.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:23 pm

Don't mean to start any trouble or anything but how does having adding another average defensive OF help this team this year? He can't play center and Matsui is average at best in center. I guess putting an average CF in there is better than having Womack or Bernie in there. And who does he replace on the roster?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:24 pm

Hmmm. ...So how exactly did Lwton clear waivers? You would have thought Boston or Houston or someone would have claimed him if for no other reason than to block.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:27 pm

Rirruto wrote:Don't mean to start any trouble or anything but how does having adding another average defensive OF help this team this year? He can't play center and Matsui is average at best in center. I guess putting an average CF in there is better than having Womack or Bernie in there. And who does he replace on the roster?

He may only be average defensively, but that's still better than Bernie Williams and Tony Womack. An outfield of Lawton-Matsui-Sheffield is still better than Matsui-Williams/Womack-Sheffield.

Plus, Lawton is a good top of the order hitter, with a good OBP and with speed. He can help the lineup by getting on base for Sheff and A-Rod, as well as upgrade the defense and strengthen the terribly weak bench.

When you consider the price they got him for, it's a no-brainer and surprisingly a nice deal by Cashman. ;-D
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby blankman » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:32 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Lawton isn't a good top of the order hitter? He's a hole and a rally killer like Cano? Weren't you going crazy over Cano about a month ago, saying how great of a player he was, and that he had the number 2 spot locked up? I guess that changed pretty quickly...

Suggesting Tony Womack should play based on 3 starts is insanity. The guy is terrible. In every facet. He's not near the same player as Matt Lawton or Bernie Williams. He's not in either of their leagues, even with Bernie's declining skill. You're complaining about giving up a single-A pitching prospect that nobody has ever heard of for a guy that can really help the team? Give me a break.

I'm not complaining ***** (insert word of choice). Obviously Cano looked great and then didn't; thats the nature of rookies; he had to play badly to lose the spot and he did. Simple as that.

That RBI double just now is why Matsui should hit 2nd.

I don't think Lawton's good enough to hit 2nd and he's shown that this season. That's it. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think he's good enough to hit there.

Who the hell is saying Womack is good because of 3 games? I'm willing to let him play more because of how he's played and if he doesn't play well, then same as everyone else, he doesn't get to play. Jeez
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:40 pm

blankman wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Lawton isn't a good top of the order hitter? He's a hole and a rally killer like Cano? Weren't you going crazy over Cano about a month ago, saying how great of a player he was, and that he had the number 2 spot locked up? I guess that changed pretty quickly...

Suggesting Tony Womack should play based on 3 starts is insanity. The guy is terrible. In every facet. He's not near the same player as Matt Lawton or Bernie Williams. He's not in either of their leagues, even with Bernie's declining skill. You're complaining about giving up a single-A pitching prospect that nobody has ever heard of for a guy that can really help the team? Give me a break.

I don't agree with you. One at bat should not be what decides the batting order.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:42 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:

I dont think one at bat should determine the batting order.

In my personal opinion, I find the Yankees batting order to be much more dangerous with Matsui batting in the 2 hole than it ever had been before.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:45 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:

I dont think one at bat should determine the batting order.

In my personal opinion, I find the Yankees batting order to be much more dangerous with Matsui batting in the 2 hole than it ever had been before.

I'm not saying he shouldnt bat 2nd. Just that one at bat should not determine the batting order. He hasnt even seen lawton hit as a yankee.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:47 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
blankman wrote:

I don't agree with you. One at bat should not be what decides the batting order.

1 at bat a game over 35 or so more games is a lot of at bats.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:48 pm

blankman wrote:

I don't think Lawton's good enough to hit 2nd and he's shown that this season. That's it. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think he's good enough to hit there.

He has????
101 G With Pitt: .273/380/.433/.813
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers