Fortunate Son - Creedence
4%
Jeremy - Pearl Jam
4%
None of the above - I'll post it below
52%

Total votes : 27

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:41 pm

Wait, let me get this straight. Your ruling out Robert Plant cause of his "fruiitiness"? Even though you have Nirvana on there, whose lead singer wore nail polish and did wear make up quite a few times?

Then the other reason you gave was cause Zep was a blues band? Yet your tring to make a case for Robert Johnson cause he was one of the first in blues?

Maybe it's just me, but you reasoning for who gets on the list seems awfully strange to me.
Last edited by hybrid on Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseball6791 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:42 pm

WharfRat wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:
WharfRat wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Pablo975 wrote:Amen. The fact that AC/DC is not a listed option to vote for is a disgrace.

I'd even take "Back In Black" over most of the songs listed.

AC/DC is alright, but I can't help but let my musician side get the best of me; all of their songs are just three chords. It's alright to have a few simple songs, but when it's to the point that AC/DC has refined it to... :-[ .

I like AC/DC but I agree on this one. To be considered the GREATEST song of all time I think that it has to have some musical complexity. I also think that choosing one song is impossible, seeing as how music is all about personal preference, so for different people different songs will be better.

Speaking of which...where is Bohemian Rhapsody on the list? :-?

We debated that one for a while. It was ruled out on the grounds that, despite being a great song, only a portion of it truly rocked, and the rest of it is essentially a showtune.

We ruled out Stairway to Heaven for similar reasons, although it's not a showtune, of course. Black Dog and a few other Zep tunes almost made the list, though. But we decided to rule out Led Zep altogether due to Robert Plant's general fruitiness, even though they have the greatest drummer and one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Also, since Zep was essentially a blues band, we figured they couldn't be better than Cream, who had the greatest blues/rock player in the world not named Hendrix, so it gave us further reason to rule them out.

We didn't pick AC/DC just because we think they suck for the most part, the lead singer sounds like Golem, and Phil Anselmo by himself could beat them all in a fight. But that's more personal preference than anything. :-D

I argued long and hard for My Generation, but my idiot friends didn't see it for some reason. They gave me Babe O'Riley as a compromise.

All Along the Watchtower, Purple Haze, Hot for Teacher, and a bunch of others were also considered.

I'm really surprised no one has voted for Robert Johnson, since he is probably more responsible than anyone else for the birth of the blues, which in turn led to the birth of Rock. We went with Crossroads, not only because it was one of Johnson's best but because Clapton whipped its metaphorical a$$ decades letter.

Speaking of Clapton, where's Layla on the list?

Clapton had better - Crossroads and Sunshine of Your Love also comes to mind, and I know there are others. Layla can't be considered if it's not even Clapton's greatest.

Personally I think that Layla and Tears in Heaven are up there with Crossroads and Sunshine of Your Love.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby WharfRat » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:53 pm

baseball6791 wrote:Personally I think that Layla and Tears in Heaven are up there with Crossroads and Sunshine of Your Love.

Both terrific songs, without a doubt. Layla has a good case for it, but Tears in Heaven is way too much of a ballad for this list, methinks.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:02 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Madison wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:I have no Idea what the title of the song is, but I like the one that goes "Shook me all night long"

AC/DC: Shook me all night long. ;-D

I'm with you although I'd have a tough time choosing between Shook... and Back In Black. ;-D

That wasn't my vote, I was just answering the question. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Rkiivs » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:06 pm

This should be a rock music poll, most of those songs are not rock and roll. There's a difference.

EDIT: As go back and take a long look at the songs, none of them are rock and roll.
Last edited by Rkiivs on Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby stevethumb » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:16 pm

"Layla" has to be in the top ten (that's as far as i can narrow it down)... lemme throw a few props to hendrix and say "Little Wing" is a beautiful song
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:50 pm

Madison wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
Madison wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:I have no Idea what the title of the song is, but I like the one that goes "Shook me all night long"

AC/DC: Shook me all night long. ;-D

I'm with you although I'd have a tough time choosing between Shook... and Back In Black. ;-D

That wasn't my vote, I was just answering the question. ;-)

Oops. Must have skimmed over the inner quote. !+)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:56 pm

I'm a bit of a Pearl Jam nut, so I chose Jeremy. I don't really think it is the best rock song around, but it was my favorite of the bunch. Not a big fan of most of those songs, as I don't think any of them (with the possible exception of Smells like teen spirit) are the best by that artist.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby kentx12 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:23 pm

None of the above.

the greatest song ever is performed by Dr. Hook.

The Cover of the Rolling Stone.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Rkiivs » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:16 pm

I thought Wayne's World proved once and for all what the best rock song was.

Party on, Garth.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk