BJ Upton - How good can he be? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Upton - How good can he be?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:31 pm

Upton's supposedly got great athletic ability and potential but is an atrocious fielder and, some say, a bit of a headcase as well. With some more maturity and better defense, he could make an impact in the bigs, but no team is gonna roster a guy who commits 50+ errors a season, regardless of how well he hits. DH is a possibility, but I'd be suprised if he gets a call-up just to DH.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:28 pm

bigken117 wrote:I would not keep Upton over anyone like Johnson or Francouer at this point unless Upton is projected to be a full time player in 2006. Taking nothing away, I think Upton has as much offensive upside as anyone in the game, but if your keeper spots are limited, you want to keep guys that can help you win this year, not in 3 years.

Definitely agree.

Not to mention:

1) There is no guarantee that he'll start the season in TB. If they truly want to keep his service time down, I'd expect a minimum of 2 months at AAA with the justification being that he's not ready defensively.

2) Whether he can continue it or not, Francoeur should have much more perceived value than Upton based on his performance so far and the virtual lock that he'll be the RF on Opening Day in 2006. So unless you hear for sure that BJ will be in the majors come the start of 2006, I'd keep the sure thing. If you don't think he can continue his current pace, then trade Francoeur. But keeping the player that should have lesser perceived value does not make much sense to me - unless I'm misguided and I'm in the minority when it comes to the perceived value of those two.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby brandnew » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:33 am

Johnson is better than an average major league player. Good average, great OBP, and 30 HR power, with a bunch of Runs and RBI in that lineup? I think that's better than average. He's hit around 30 HR's in the minors at AA and AAA the last two years, that's better than just good pop.

Francoeur has been sick... and is becoming more patient, it's easy to see that. But, he's not taking as many walks because he's driving pitchers pitches.

There's no way that I'd keep Upton over either of those when Upton isn't even in the Majors yet. Think of it this way, would you choose Upton higher in the draft over Francoeur or Johnson? Who is going to help your team more? If you're that stuck over Upton, pick him up in the draft in a later round. Johnson or Francoeur are going to help your team a lot more, IMO. Plus, if Upton is moved to 3B, a lot of his value is lost, especially for the next 2 years or so, until he develops more power.

Just my $0.02
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby 1Bogie » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:28 am

How good can he be? Not good enough to be on a roster this year. I know this guy in my league, who rode first for at least a month, and had Upton on his roster, and still does..

I don't get it.. what the heck is he goin to do? Bat cleanup, hit 15 homers in 3 weeks???

P.S it's not a keeper league
1Bogie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers