BJ Upton - How good can he be? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Upton - How good can he be?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:23 pm

Will do ;-D . Thanks for the input. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:29 pm

warrick95 wrote:
SuptownSpartans34 wrote:If he doesn't improve his defense, what position would he play? Maybe DH for the rays? He wouldn't be in the OF and I think that Cantu and Green will start at 2b and 3b. I don't follow the rays at all, any tampa fans have anything to say?

If it's not SS, it would be 3B. Green projects as a utilityman in the majors. Cantu has 2B locked up unless he moves over to 3rd with his good play this season.

I don't know anything about the D-Rays and didn't know what they plan to do with Green. That clears things up, thanks for the input.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseball6791 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:40 pm

I think that with the amount of talent that he has the D-Rays will have to find somewhere for him to play and will have to deal with the defense, if possible I would hold onto him in a keeper, since, as warrick said, defense doesn't count for fantasy.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:42 pm

baseball6791 wrote:I think that with the amount of talent that he has the D-Rays will have to find somewhere for him to play and will have to deal with the defense, if possible I would hold onto him in a keeper, since, as warrick said, defense doesn't count for fantasy.

It does in one of my points leagues. B-)
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: BJ Upton - How good can he be?

Postby Kingctb27 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:10 pm

hybrid wrote:If he can stay at SS, which is pretty questionable ... though IMO he has the talent. Anyways in the end he should be a .300 hitter w/ 20-30 HR pop and 30-40 SB's. But that could come at SS, 3B, or OF ... no one really knows yet.

I don't know alot about him, just that he is a big prospect, so i'll truth hybrid on this one. ;-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby thehat » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:56 pm

warrick95 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Is Upton going to be in the bigs next year? I've kept him on my squad this season (I'm real, real thin at SS) and I'm contemplating not keeping next season with the way Dan Johnson and Jeff Francoeur have played.

To be honest, I think he will be here in the middle of next year. He's already gotten a lot of seasoning in the minors. If they decide to keep him at SS, they may just live with the D and give him the call. If they move him to 3B, he may need some additional work at AAA at the corner.

Dan Johnson's not a bad player, but only an above average regular. This is pretty much his ceiling. He hits for a nice average and contributes with good but not great pop. He also plays at a position that is very scarce.

You must remember that Jeff Francoeur, though hot right now, is not this good a player. True, he's done this for an extended period of time, but according to his minor league stats, that's not going to continue. He'll certainly have to work on some plate discipline at this point and I would not be surprised if he has some rough sledding next season. That being said, he projects as a star.

Upton on the other hand possesses immense potential in fantasy leagues since we don't count defense. His power/speed makes him a very intriguing player for the future. He plays at a scarce position...(3B is still scarcer than OF if he moves)

So, I think you should keep BJ over DJ.

I make Upton a virtual lock to be on the opening day TB roster next year. Who knows where he plays, that may hinge on where he plays this season assuming TB calls him up for the final month.

As for whether or not to keep him, that all depends on the current lineup for the owners who have him...but I would definitely keep him ahead of Dan Johnson. There is no way Dan Johnson is a keeper. Nice enough player, but definitely not a 1B standout.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Niffoc4 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:29 pm

yeah, I think the D-Rays will definitely open up a place for him next year, he has nothing left to prove offensively in the minors...I think they will probably have him at SS and they may move Lugo to 2nd and Cantu to 3rd, because I don't think they have anyone else worth starting at 3rd (unless they decide to leave huff at 3rd... wouldn't that be something horrible to see? Huff and Upton fielding on the same side of the IF?) I think bringing in Ozzie is a good sign that they think he can do it, rather than a last-ditch effort...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby mrkrab2003 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:16 am

when is he going to play?
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:02 pm

Doesn't he have 50 errors on the season at SS?

I understand they think he'll have to go to the OF, despite Ozzie's help.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:41 pm

Morrison8312 wrote:Hopefully he does this next year because I'm hanging onto him in a 5 keeper league. Choosing him over Francoeur
im currently in the same pickle, but i havent decided yet
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu