Is this irony or what? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is this irony or what?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Half Massed » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:55 am

In the NL, it should come down to Griffey, Jones or Floyd, and in the AL, Wickman, Giambi or Sexon.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:55 am

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:Zito for comeback player of the year? Where was he last year? Did he get hurt and miss major time? No. He just stunk. That would almost be embarrassing trying to explain how he won that award.. The award that he would put next to the Cy young.

Comeback:
1. A return to formerly enjoyed status or prosperity: The film star made an unexpected comeback.
2. A return to popularity: Wide ties are making a comeback this year.

Zito last year: 4.48 ERA/1.39 WHIP/.263 BAA
Zito this year: 3.49 ERA/1.16 WHIP/.214...near ace numbers.

He's returned to his former status of being one of the game's better pitchers. Who said that the comeback award had to be given to a player that was injured the last year? It can be given to someone who's come back with a better season. In fact, that's what it means, only that many players that come back had bad years due to injuries.

I agree with slomo that Griffey is still a household name and would win in a poll.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:01 am

slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Griffey hasn't been a household name in a loooong time. But really what does that matter? This is a poll at MLB.com voted on by baseball fans. I'm sure most baseball fans have heard of Griffey, Floyd, Pettitte and just about every other guy in that list.

He's still to this day a household name. Kids growing up today still know who he is...even if it is for the wrong reasons (kids today know him as the guy who always gets hurt !+) ). I know you're rooting for Floyd, and understadably so, being a Mets fan, but you have to be realistic here. He's literally going against perhaps the most popular player of our generation.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't rooting for Floyd but I believe Pettitte is the right choice and I don't think Griffey would be a bad choice. You can make a valid argument for every guy on that list. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:04 am

Amazinz wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Griffey hasn't been a household name in a loooong time. But really what does that matter? This is a poll at MLB.com voted on by baseball fans. I'm sure most baseball fans have heard of Griffey, Floyd, Pettitte and just about every other guy in that list.

He's still to this day a household name. Kids growing up today still know who he is...even if it is for the wrong reasons (kids today know him as the guy who always gets hurt !+) ). I know you're rooting for Floyd, and understadably so, being a Mets fan, but you have to be realistic here. He's literally going against perhaps the most popular player of our generation.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't rooting for Floyd but I believe Pettitte is the right choice and I don't think Griffey would be a bad choice. You can make a valid argument for every guy on that list. ;-D

Agreed, in many aspects. If Griffey loses, I'd like to see Pettitte win it...he's had a great season and one that I really did not expect. Floyd has also carried my money league team all year, so I have a soft spot for him too. :-D

I like all of the guys, but my votes would go, Griffey, Pettitte, Floyd, and then Jones. Closers coming back to pitch impressively just doesn't thrill me the same way that starters and/or offensive players do. Look at Takatsu last year, anyone can catch lightning in a bottle given the right circumstances.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers