Jays recall Quiroz from Syracuse... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Jays recall Quiroz from Syracuse...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jays recall Quiroz from Syracuse...

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:04 pm

From tsn.ca:

The Toronto Blue Jays have recalled catcher Guillermo Quiroz from Syracuse of the International League and have designated catcher Ken huckaby for assignment.

Quiroz, 23, is one of the Jays' top prospects and has split the 2005 season between Dunedin of the Florida State League (A) and Syracuse (AAA) appearing in just 35 games. He began the season on the disabled list with a right shoulder strain and then was sidelined with a collapsed lung.

In 11 games with Dunedin the 6-1, 200 lb. right-handed hitter batted .237 with two home runs and six RBI. With Syracuse, he hit .215 in 24 games with six home runs and 19 RBI. In 2004 he appeared in 17 games for Toronto and hit .212 with six RBI.

Huckaby, 34, has appeared in 34 games and hit .202 with three doubles and five RBI. He is a career .222 batter with three home runs and 29 RBI in 152 games over parts of five seasons with Toronto, Arizona, Baltimore and Texas.

Couldn't they have just waited until September, and then called up Quiroz without having to DFA Huckaby? Ricciardi must have some kind of plan then. Maybe this was a way to open up a spot on the 40 man roster for a few other players so they wouldn't be taken in the Rule 5 draft. A few pitchers come to my mind that would fit into this category like Shaun Marcum and Josh Banks. They would likely be taken in the draft if they do not get put on the 40-man roster before the end of the year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:17 pm

I think that this road trip has taken a lot out of Zaun.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:25 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I think that this road trip has taken a lot out of Zaun.

Yes, his offensive numbers over the duration of the trip have been steadily decreasing. Having Quiroz around might actually allow him to have a day off or two a week. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:01 pm

This is Rotoworld's take on the move:
Blue Jays recalled catcher Guillermo Quiroz from Triple-A Syracuse.
Quiroz was hitting .229/.309/.482 in 83 AB for Syracuse since returning from a collapsed lung. He'll replace Ken Huckaby as Gregg Zaun's backup and he might begin getting the majority of the starts during the final two or three weeks. The Blue Jays would like him to show enough to allow them to pair him with Zaun right from the start of next year

Blue Jays designated catcher Ken Huckaby for assignment.
Very odd timing, especially considering that he had three hits in his last start. Huckaby isn't a very good backup, but why cut him six days before rosters expand? He must have done something to upset management

They must not know Ken Huckaby. He really isn't the kind of person that would upset management. Ricciardi must have some kind of plan, maybe like the one I stated in the first post of this thread.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:08 pm

Well it's nice to see that Quiroz is gonna come up. Hopefully he can help Zaun get some days off. Also, I think it's safe to say that the Jays are not contenders this year anymore. With Halladay shut down for the rest of the year, I think they are just playing to give some of the younger guys some experience.

It should be a promising year next year though. I like our lineup. ;-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:23 pm

go_jays_go wrote:Well it's nice to see that Quiroz is gonna come up. Hopefully he can help Zaun get some days off. Also, I think it's safe to say that the Jays are not contenders this year anymore. With Halladay shut down for the rest of the year, I think they are just playing to give some of the younger guys some experience.

Yes, shutting Doc down is pretty much a message from the management that we won't be contending this year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:33 pm

mweir145 wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:Well it's nice to see that Quiroz is gonna come up. Hopefully he can help Zaun get some days off. Also, I think it's safe to say that the Jays are not contenders this year anymore. With Halladay shut down for the rest of the year, I think they are just playing to give some of the younger guys some experience.

Yes, shutting Doc down is pretty much a message from the management that we won't be contending this year.

Thats what I meant.. ;-7
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:18 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Thats what I meant.. ;-7

I know, but I was just stating it in simpler terms, and at that time I was still angry about the decision. :-b
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:50 am

mweir145 wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Thats what I meant.. ;-7

I know, but I was just stating it in simpler terms, and at that time I was still angry about the decision. :-b

Haha no worries. :-D

You've been through a lot today though eh?

Wow, I still have to read half of that Halladay thread..
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:49 am

go_jays_go wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
go_jays_go wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Thats what I meant.. ;-7

Haha no worries. :-D

You've been through a lot today though eh?

Wow, I still have to read half of that Halladay thread..

Yeah, tonight I had a lot of time to kill. :-b

And yeah, with that Halladay thread, that is what happens when one very influential person has an opinion which is different than yours, and in turn, almost everybody else agrees with that person. It then just starts turning into a pile of insults. Atleast I had a few people to back me up. Unfortunately, usually when this kind of thing happens, the person who is getting the insults thrown at them just gives up but I decided I wasn't going to be the "doormat" and give up in this case.

I even reached 2000 posts and I didn't even realize it because I was so focused on the Jays game and that Halladay thread.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Toronto Blue Jays