Chicago Cubs and Friday Afternoons - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chicago Cubs and Friday Afternoons

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chicago Cubs and Friday Afternoons

Postby Stubo » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:05 am

I am in the uk so unless the games are afternoon games I miss them, which is why I have noticed that nearly every Friday afternoon the only team playing is Chicago Cubs. (V someone, for those pedantic people)
I assume most team play a night game to get the crowds, and then the afternoon on Sat and Sunday.
Is there any reason why the Cubs do this ?

Just curious
Stubo Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pablo975 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:24 am

Probably just out of tradition. The Cubs didn't have lights for night games until 1988. They've made it a point ever since to play a lot of day games. They sell day games out constantly due to Wrigley Field being a hot tourist spot.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:26 am

Anyone got any stats on how they play on Friday afternoons this season? I'm probably starting Vargas today but am looking for a good reason not to.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pablo975 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:30 am

I needed a filler SP and debated Vargas. Went with Wakefield instead. I'll be very interested to see if the Cubbies figure out Vargas.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:31 am

Being a Cubs fan and a regular Wrigley Field visitor, the Cubs as stated were the last team to add lights at Wrigley (which was nice, because before that we could claim we'd never lost a night game at home.) No matter when they schedule the games, the Cubs always get around 38,000 people at their games. Day games. Night games. Doesn't matter. I think that it's more tradition to keep scheduling them during the day because they can and it's not hurting their ticket sales. Wrigleyville is AMAZING too. Tons of little bars, restaurants, shops. The community of people there is really cool. Hope this answers your question and a little bit more.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Stubo » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:35 am

yes great thanks all

I assumed it must be someting like that, isn't wrigley the one used in most baseball films, so that would account for the tourist fans as well.

It is good that they can sell a home afternoon game out everytime. shows that the game, particularilly in Chicago is strong.
Stubo Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:48 am

The Cubs love to play day games, since they didn't have lights until 1989. So they play a lot of 1:20 and 2:20 games. Stadiums packed every day too, but its rarely with Cubs fans. Usually just people there to drink, not pay attention to the game, talk loud on their phones, and wave their hands so thier idiot friends can see them on the TV. Its just a outdoor beer garden, except with more idiots.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Stubo » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:02 pm

cant comment on the worn out effect.

But another factor to this is that Games shown in the uk and Prob europe that are conveinient (we are +5 ET so 2.20 start is 7.20pm for us) and therefore get the biggest audiences, we see the cubs at least once a week. And I'll wager that they have a lot of long distance fans because of that. We see Yankees memorobilia over a little cubs and bosox here but not much else.
The marketing men at the cubs may be aware of the benifits of widening the brand, Until 2 years ago when i started fantasy baseball I could only name 4 teams, soth chicago yankees and bosox.
Stubo Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dmville » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:57 pm

The weekend's in summer in Chicago usually start around 11 a.m. on Friday. Just try getting anything done business wise on a Friday afternoon and you are screwed. Most bosses will accept "I have Cub tix this afternoon" as a valid excuse to ditch work.

Throw in the two commodity trading floors in Chi that close at 1 p.m. that employ 20,000+ 18-35 year old males who get paid in cash every friday and you have a good reason to schedule a bunch of afternoon games.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jskidder » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:05 pm

also, with wrigley being in the middle of a neighborhood the city has some say as to when the games take place. the cubs are only alloted a certain number of night games per year, so those are typically always on mondays and tuesdays. night games destroy traffic and parking in the neighborhood, and i know this 1st hand because i live 2 blocks from the stadium. with the nightlife in the area and a cub night game on a thursday-saturday, it would be an absolute mess.
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers