Thinner Position Next Year... 2B or SS ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thinner Position Next Year... 2B or SS ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thinner Position Next Year... 2B or SS ?

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:43 am

The Figgins post got me thinking whether the SS or 2B pool will be weaker next year. I'll post up the likely guys eligible next year at each spot and please add or correct any of the listings I made. I'm curious how this turns out since I'm posting as I look at it...

I'm betting 2B will be thinner but let's see...

(In no particular order but close to the 5x5 Rankings Yahoo has for them this season)

Relevant SS eligible for Next Season
Tejada
Young
Reyes (loses 2B Eligibility)
Barmes (loses 2B Eligibility)
Furcal
Jeter
Felipe Lopez (Dual Eligible)
Lugo
Peralta
Rollins
Feliz
Renteria
B. Hall (Dual Eligible)
Vizquel
Adams
Crosby
O Cabrera
Khalil Greene
Carlos Guillen
Vizquel
Eckstein
Neifi
M Ellis
Uribe
J Wilson
Izturis

Relevant 2B Eligible for Next Season
Soriano
Roberts
Figgins (likely loses SS eligibility)
Kent
Felipe Lopez (Dual Eligible)
Utley
Cantu
Lugo (Dual Eligible)
M Giles
C Biggio
Iguchi
Counsell (loses SS eligibility)
B. Hall (Dual Eligible)
Polanco
Grudzielanek
Belliard
Aurilia
O. Hudson
R. Freel
R Durham
R Cano
L Castillo
T Walker
A Kennedy
M Ellis
R Weeks
Loretta
Vidro
Womack
C Burke

It's an interesting debate but I think the fact that I get Barmes and Reyes at SS next year, the emergence of Peralta will outweight the loss of Figgins and the emergence of Roberts who won't have the same ridiculous start obviously... It's real close though.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DCNats » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:54 am

Don't forget about the possibility that Rickie Weeks may be among the top producers at either position next year, and that Loretta and Vidro are consistently decent producers when healthy.

I still think the 2B is the deeper position. If distributed evenly, everyone in a 10-12 team league can have a servicable option at 2B, whereas I don't think you can make the same claim (this is of course debatable) at shortstop.
DCNats
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Drunken Rhino » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:08 am

tough call... I give the thinner award to 2B. But there is a lot of potential there.

SS that have some redeemable fantasy value
Tejada
Young
Jeter
Furcal
Peralta
Crosby
Reyes
Barmes
F. Lopez
Nomar
Lugo

2B that have redeemable fantasy value
Soriano
Kent
Utley
Weeks
Giles
Lugo
Figgins
F. Lopez
Cantu
Roberts
Loretta
Vidro

And watchout for Jose Castillo and Cano next year 2B as well.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:26 pm

How does Lugo get 2B eligibility?

2B is much thinner.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:31 pm

I think that 2B is much thinner.... There is still a possibility that Soriano will get traded which will hurt his value BIG time and Reyes losing 2B eligibility is a huge hit to second...

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:19 pm

I think that they are both close, but one thing for sure they won't be as thin as they were coming into this season.

So many more options than last year.

for 2nd base..

Weeks, Cano

SS:
Felipe Lopez, Johny Peralta

I still think that SS is a little more shallow
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Robinson Cano

Postby Surfs up » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:04 pm

Do you guys think Cano will be the starter in NY next year? Or will the Yankees go out an either make a trade or find a FA to fill the spot. I have Cano and thinking mybe trading him while he has some value. Just not sure what I could get for him AL only 12 team
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 183)

Postby stumpak » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:08 pm

Agreed, any way you slice it, 2B for 2006 looks better than going into this year.

Two other observations:

1) It is amazing how Renteria has fallen from two years ago when there were many people ranking him #3 at the position (OK, I will admit it, myself included).

2) Poor Placido Polanco still gets no love. He figures to start full time in Detroit next year. As always, he will be a lock for .300, a good ammout of runs hitting near the top of the order and 10-15 SBs and HRs. I am not arguing that he should be top five, but I would certainly include him among "useful" 2Bs.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Robinson Cano

Postby blankman » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:16 pm

Surfs up wrote:Do you guys think Cano will be the starter in NY next year? Or will the Yankees go out an either make a trade or find a FA to fill the spot. I have Cano and thinking mybe trading him while he has some value. Just not sure what I could get for him AL only 12 team

He'll stay I think. He's only 23, there's hardly anyone out there anyway, and they've pretty much said they're dedicated to him.

The potential is all there for him to hit .300 with a ton of doubles and he's no slouch in the field either. I wouldn't worry about him losing his job.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: Robinson Cano

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:20 pm

blankman wrote:
Surfs up wrote:Do you guys think Cano will be the starter in NY next year? Or will the Yankees go out an either make a trade or find a FA to fill the spot. I have Cano and thinking mybe trading him while he has some value. Just not sure what I could get for him AL only 12 team

He'll stay I think. He's only 23, there's hardly anyone out there anyway, and they've pretty much said they're dedicated to him.

The potential is all there for him to hit .300 with a ton of doubles and he's no slouch in the field either. I wouldn't worry about him losing his job.

Where does the potential for him to hit .300 come from? He it .301 in half a year at AA but he has otherwise never come close to .300.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers