The Ethics of Sabotage - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Ethics of Sabotage

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby d18Mike » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:31 pm

I've been "encouraging" the bottom teams to start certain players and add/drop certain other players who I think will help them catch the 1st place team in certain categories and therefore semi-sabotage him

Regardless of the ethical considerations, if someone from my league e-mailed me with suggestions on who to start/sit/pickup/drop etc... I'd do the opposite. It surprises me that in a money league (usually more sophiticated owners) that people would comply. Amazing.[/quote]
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:30 pm

d18Mike wrote:
I've been "encouraging" the bottom teams to start certain players and add/drop certain other players who I think will help them catch the 1st place team in certain categories and therefore semi-sabotage him

Regardless of the ethical considerations, if someone from my league e-mailed me with suggestions on who to start/sit/pickup/drop etc... I'd do the opposite. It surprises me that in a money league (usually more sophiticated owners) that people would comply. Amazing.
[/quote]

So if I emailed you or called you or IM'd you or whatever and told you the following:

"Hey look who just got their closer's job back, and they're available in FA. I don't need them because I have Saves locked up but if you want to pick them up go for it. I'll even pay for the transactions"...

You would do the opposite? That's a smart move. Ignore picking up emerging closers when it costs you nothing. Honestly, that's all I did. I know it's not an ethical move, but I don't think I'm completely wrong for doing it. I agree it's unethical and I have recently had the player drop the guys I suggested he pick up (And I'm picking up the tab for that as well), but it isn't as bad as everyone thinks... I think in a way it was an awfully savy move. And by savy you could read it as "sneaky".
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:33 pm

As many others have said, the only thing wrong with what you're doing is paying the transaction fees. Other than that, I think coaching the bottom-dwellers in ways to steal points from your other opponents is crafty and a clever tactic.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:37 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:As many others have said, the only thing wrong with what you're doing is paying the transaction fees. Other than that, I think coaching the bottom-dwellers in ways to steal points from your other opponents is crafty and a clever tactic.

Finally someone thinks it's not a bad idea. Obviously I crossed the line by paying for it and that's why I recounted it and had the guys drop the closers from their team and I paid for the fixing of it as well. I don't think by itself, there is anything wrong with coaching, or encouraging, or letting the bottom dwellers in on news that will help them and in turn help you. Nothing at all. It's paying for it that's going too far but I don't think it's that egregious.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fireball Express » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:43 pm

I see you being arrested in the future for insider trading and spending some time in a white collar jail.

Wouldn't want you in my league if this is how you play. In fact I would kick you out after this year and deny you any winnings.

Isn't this the team that you declared the winner at the All-Star break? :-?
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:47 pm

Fireball Express wrote:I see you being arrested in the future for insider trading and spending some time in a white collar jail.

Wouldn't want you in my league if this is how you play. In fact I would kick you out after this year and deny you any winnings.

Ummm Yeah.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:49 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:I see you being arrested in the future for insider trading and spending some time in a white collar jail.

Ummm Yeah.
Classic! :-)
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:56 pm

That was pretty funny...You got me there!

I was such a ghost the day he finally passed me... I was fielding calls from half the league beating me up about it. They're right, I'm an ass. I know it, you know it, and they know it.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:58 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:... This is simply getting crappy/lazy/cheap managers to actually manage their teams.

To paraphrase a great American success story, "You go into the season with the crappy/lazy/cheap managers you have, not the managers you wish to have or might have in the future."

Nothing wrong with a few well-placed suggestions, but you did cross the line by pulling out the checkbook, as All-American as that may be these days.

In the offseason: Work up the amnesty clause and recruit some owners who have enough pride to finish what they started. Should help you avoid this dilemma in the future.
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby WharfRat » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:19 pm

Nothing wrong with pushing managers to make moves that are mutually beneficial.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers