The Ethics of Sabotage - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Ethics of Sabotage

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:59 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Besides, I am paying for the transactions, is it really that wrong for me to start shelling out money for them to make moves that they should be making anyway?

Well, when you put it that way. Yes, it's still wrong.

The bottom line is that you are helping (beyond friendly advice) by allowing them to have incentive (free moves) to hurt the 1st place team.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:07 am

Are they just as wrong as me for doing it? Maybe more so. Besides, there are plenty of guys in FA that the 1st place team can pick up to counter their moves. Noone's putting a gun to these guys' heads. I think I paid for my buddy to pick up Benitez and Timlin but Weathers, Batista, and Sanchez are still available. I also made fun of my buddy for playing Mench while he was struggling and that he should be playing Corey Patterson (Which may help him catch the 1st place team in SB's). They should be making these moves anyway! Just cause they're out of it doesn't mean they shouldn't try to compete, either against me or against the other guys fighting for the crown. Besides, there's probably a $600 difference between 1st and 2nd after all the transaction fees are totaled to the pot. Don't tell me you guys are above it...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WharfRat » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:07 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote: I just think I'm circumventing what should be an amnesty clause for the bottom teams to be able to make transactions to improve their team free of charge.

Well, if you think there should be an amnesty clause, then implement one for next year. But that's no justification for shady dealings. I agree you could do a lot worse, but it doesn't make what you're doing now ethical. If I were in your league I'd be pissed if I found out.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dannyolbb » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:10 am

Add mine to the chorus of voices that says this is unethical and you should stop.
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dmville » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:14 am

ONE manager per team!!
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:18 am

So nobody is going to admit that they would do the same thing if $600 was on the line? It's THAT unethical that you wouldn't do it?

$600 and you encourage the bottom feeder teams to pick up players (That anyone could have picked up on their own) to catch the leader in a few categories and improve their team and you pay for the moves so that they'll make them...

Or you take your chances with what you have and watch the bottom feeders do nothing to improve their team and thus help you by hurting the leader.

It's your choice but I'm taking Option 1. It was 2 moves and I stopped. I'll be able to sleep at night.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:28 am

$600 on the line and you are paying for the transactions of others to screw up your competition? Wow. That goes past collusion and cheating and the league would be within their rights to deny you any winnings that you may be entitled to for this year.

The only exception to this is if everybody knows about this and this is an accepted strategy of the league and your competition is doing it as well (even then it still doesn't feel right). But I am guessing that you competition is not doing the same thing and that he is not paying for the moves of other bottom teams to catch you, and that if he found out about this he would be pretty mad.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby WharfRat » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:36 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:So nobody is going to admit that they would do the same thing if $600 was on the line? It's THAT unethical that you wouldn't do it?

$600 and you encourage the bottom feeder teams to pick up players (That anyone could have picked up on their own) to catch the leader in a few categories and improve their team and you pay for the moves so that they'll make them...

Or you take your chances with what you have and watch the bottom feeders do nothing to improve their team and thus help you by hurting the leader.

It's your choice but I'm taking Option 1. It was 2 moves and I stopped. I'll be able to sleep at night.

Actually, you're right. Having money on the table completely changes everything, ethical issues go right out the window. cough cough Enron cough ;-7

If you're going to be annoyed that people are calling you on this stuff, you probably shouldn't have asked the question.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stevethumb » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:39 am

AT, you know it as we all know it.........it is cheating...please stop before you lose the respect of this cafe...
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Minor League Skilz » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:44 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:So nobody is going to admit that they would do the same thing if $600 was on the line? It's THAT unethical that you wouldn't do it?

Yeah AT, I wouldn't do it in a money league. Tell the league what you are doing and see what type of response you get.

I am not trying to sound like a tough guy but if someone did that in my league I would probably beat the crap out of them. IN my league the winner gets over a grand and that is way too much money to allow someone to do what you are doing.

Bottom line is fight for the rule change but that garbage is shady as hell.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers