The Ethics of Sabotage - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Ethics of Sabotage

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Ethics of Sabotage

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:24 am

OK I'm trailing the 1st place team 76 - 74.5 right now and it's basically a 2 horse race for 1st and a 2 horse race for 3rd in my 5x5 Roto 9 team private money league. The other 5 teams are basically out of it and unless they get a miracle they're not finishing in the money. I've been "encouraging" the bottom teams to start certain players and add/drop certain other players who I think will help them catch the 1st place team in certain categories and therefore semi-sabotage him. I'm also paying for their transactions but he doesn't know that. Is this collusion? Should it be illegal? Or am I just making the smart move to try to sabotage my buddy by doing what I can within the rules?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Minor League Skilz » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:34 am

I have no problem with helpful suggestions. This year I have dropped some tips to last place teams to pick up guys just to block my competition. The guy right below me needed saves right when Gagne got hurt for the second time. I was pushing the last place guy to pick up Brazoban for the block (that completely backfired!)

But I think I would have a problem with paying for another teams moves. If the cash transactions makes people inactive manybe you need to get rid of that. (maybe the bottom three guys don't pay or something). If I had money in that league I would be pissed off.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:40 am

Minor League Skilz wrote:I have no problem with helpful suggestions. This year I have dropped some tips to last place teams to pick up guys just to block my competition. The guy right below me needed saves right when Gagne got hurt for the second time. I was pushing the last place guy to pick up Brazoban for the block (that completely backfired!)

But I think I would have a problem with paying for another teams moves. If the cash transactions makes people inactive manybe you need to get rid of that. (maybe the bottom three guys don't pay or something). If I had money in that league I would be pissed off.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with helping out your competition's competitors right up until deal time, but paying for the transactions yourself? That seems a little off, they ought to be paying for it themselves. It's not quite collusion per se, but it's toeing that line.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:40 am

Yeah the bottom feeder teams don't make moves for the most part and we don't have an amnesty clause for the last 3 teams so it took some cash to get them to make the moves.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby swyck » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:42 am

Well yes it is collusion, but I see nothing wrong with it, or unethical, except for the paying for the transactions part. That goes over the top.

In the unlikely even I was ever near the bottom of the standings :-B , I'd love to play spoiler. That could be fun to do. Of course me being me, I'd be going after both of you where I could. :)

Problem here is of course that bottom of the standings people would need some coaching to actually do this well. :*)
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Re: The Ethics of Sabotage

Postby josebach » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:45 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:OK I'm trailing the 1st place team 76 - 74.5 right now and it's basically a 2 horse race for 1st and a 2 horse race for 3rd in my 5x5 Roto 9 team private money league. The other 5 teams are basically out of it and unless they get a miracle they're not finishing in the money. I've been "encouraging" the bottom teams to start certain players and add/drop certain other players who I think will help them catch the 1st place team in certain categories and therefore semi-sabotage him. I'm also paying for their transactions but he doesn't know that. Is this collusion? Should it be illegal? Or am I just making the smart move to try to sabotage my buddy by doing what I can within the rules?

I've never seen a more obvious case of collusion. If there's money involved and your plan works, you're a thief.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:46 am

Bottom line is there should be an amnesty clause for bottom-tier teams to be able to make add/drops to improve their teams at no cost and this thing would be solved. I just happen to be the Amnesty bank at this point. Come to me, tell me your move, I'll evaluate how it F#@ks my competition and I'll pay for the move or deny your application.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:49 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Bottom line is there should be an amnesty clause for bottom-tier teams to be able to make add/drops to improve their teams at no cost and this thing would be solved. I just happen to be the Amnesty bank at this point. Come to me, tell me your move, I'll evaluate how it F#@ks my competition and I'll pay for the move or deny your application.

I don't really like this logic. Maybe you are trying to get a rise out of us to spark discussion or something, but it's obvious from the responses in this thread that what you're doing is collusion, plain and simple. It makes it even worse that this is a money league.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:52 am

slomo007 wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:Bottom line is there should be an amnesty clause for bottom-tier teams to be able to make add/drops to improve their teams at no cost and this thing would be solved. I just happen to be the Amnesty bank at this point. Come to me, tell me your move, I'll evaluate how it F#@ks my competition and I'll pay for the move or deny your application.

I don't really like this logic. Maybe you are trying to get a rise out of us to spark discussion or something, but it's obvious from the responses in this thread that what you're doing is collusion, plain and simple. It makes it even worse that this is a money league.

Exactly!!! That's why I didn't say anything more. He already knows what he's doing is wrong (if he's really doing it). He's just trying to get a rise out of people and start crap.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:55 am

I don't think it's that wrong to tell you the truth. Questionable? Yeah... Should I do it? Probably not. But if this weren't a money league where I had to pay for the transactions to get them to make the moves and I just asked them to make the moves and they made it on their own we wouldn't be having this discussion because that would be just smart strategizing. I just think I'm circumventing what should be an amnesty clause for the bottom teams to be able to make transactions to improve their team free of charge. Besides, I am paying for the transactions, is it really that wrong for me to start shelling out money for them to make moves that they should be making anyway?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers