Biggest Fantasy Bust of the Year. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Biggest Fantasy Bust of the Year.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Biggest Fantasy Bust of the Year.

Beltran
43%
Bonds
22%
Schilling
8%
Thome
5%
RJ
7%
C. Patterson
5%
Beltre
1%
Nomar
1%
Rolen
3%
Ol. Perez
6%

Total votes : 87

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:41 am

Beltran, easily indeed. Top 5 pick with no injury stigma about him, 30/30 written all over him... bust. He's put up adequate numbers but not for a top 5 pick.

Others like Bonds, Schilling, Thome, and even RJ, you knew they had an injury history or were suffering through one. High picks, yet high gamble picks. Beltre and Perez were similar to Beltran in that they had big years but horrible follow ups. I just think a top 5 pick should've done better..
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Drunken Rhino » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:48 am

Most of the time, yes I'm better than that...

But I needed steals & average and here were the projected stats from ESPN at the beginning of the year...

Corey Patterson, ChC 95 27 83 30 .275
Miguel Cabrera, Fla 92 28 112 6 .297
Juan Pierre, Fla 103 2 45 52 .324

I didn't know Pierre would hit <300 and Cabrera ~350. And I knew that I could get Patterson like 5 rounds later and similar projected power numbers... Huge bust, mental mistake on my part.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:58 am

I voted for Bonds because we drafted early enough that he was still considered someone who would be playing before the All-Star break. However, I don't think many will vote for him as a lot of drafts were held after he opted for his 2nd surgery.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby AT » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:31 am

Drunken Rhino wrote:Most of the time, yes I'm better than that...

But I needed steals & average and here were the projected stats from ESPN at the beginning of the year...

Corey Patterson, ChC 95 27 83 30 .275
Miguel Cabrera, Fla 92 28 112 6 .297
Juan Pierre, Fla 103 2 45 52 .324

I didn't know Pierre would hit <300 and Cabrera ~350. And I knew that I could get Patterson like 5 rounds later and similar projected power numbers... Huge bust, mental mistake on my part.

If you got Patterson 5 rounds after Cabrera and took a valuable player in his spot I don't think it was that egregious. I thought you took Patterson ahead of Cabrera all together and I think that would be foolish. Those projections for Patterson look like the projections I made for Beltran this season haha. The Cabrera projections I think aren't too bad but I would have said .310-.320. Wow, I don't think the Patterson projections are that far off except for maybe a little bit in HR's and RBI's. What a bust...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:45 am

I drafted 3 of these guys and im in second. But still id think the biggest bust is bonds, he was drafted a few picks later than beltran but at least beltran has some production.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:48 am

I voted for Bonds. A top 15 pick not playing a single game has to be the choice for me...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:11 pm

People knew they had damaged goods with Bonds. But Beltran was a top 4 pick in almost every league and has performed at about a 3rd OF level. Bust of the year.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:37 pm

I think th biggest bust is definitely Beltran... he was picked in the top 5 in almost every league and while I would've said Bonds.who was drafted a few picks later shouldn't people have known that the guy would miss time with his steroids and injury..

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:51 pm

It's gotta be Beltran or Rolen. Where they both went is unbelievable with the production they've produced our teams with. It's really unfair. Beltran is playing like an undraftee.

Unbelievable. :-P
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:58 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:People knew they had damaged goods with Bonds. But Beltran was a top 4 pick in almost every league and has performed at about a 3rd OF level. Bust of the year.

Maybe. My draft was a slow draft Cafe style where it was done a few weeks before the season. This was right after the first surgery where all signs pointed to full strength by opening day. So while we may have known that his knee wasn't completely healed, we all thought it would be by opening day.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers