Any athletic trainers out there? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any athletic trainers out there?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:55 am

Rirruto wrote:Image

Dang Rirruto, thats some top notch advice. :-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:20 am

Lofunzo wrote:
blankman wrote:While we're on the subject, what do you do for shin splints?

I am anxious about that as well. Between softball and working as a park counselor, I have shin splints bad as well as a muscle pull. Right where the hammy meets the buttcheek on the back of my leg. Once I walk around, I'm O.K. but just sitting sround and driving hurts like hell.

when they do start hurting, walk on your heals. If I remember correctly its the bone thats hurting so theres not much you can do.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:55 am

eftda wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I am anxious about that as well. Between softball and working as a park counselor, I have shin splints bad as well as a muscle pull. Right where the hammy meets the buttcheek on the back of my leg. Once I walk around, I'm O.K. but just sitting sround and driving hurts like hell.

when they do start hurting, walk on your heals. If I remember correctly its the bone thats hurting so theres not much you can do.

Actually I was going to post earlier, but figured I'd see if I could find my paperwork first. No luck, so this will be in layman's terms.

Not to scare you or anything Lo, but this sounds a lot like my big injury a couple of years ago, except it was my left leg. Knew it wasn't a hamstring since I had pulled those before, and I was right. Right in the same spot you mention, back of the thigh, right at the buttcheek, hurt anytime I tried to bend my knee or really put weight on the leg. Hurt up into the buttcheek itself. Forget about stretching, that wasn't going to happen.

Turns out, I had partially torn a supporting muscle of the hamstring (million dollar doctor word--that's what I was trying to find the paperwork on--no luck). Hamstring was fine, but couldn't support the weight by itself (remember I'm a bowler, so my left leg is my slide leg). Didn't need surgery or anything, but it took me off the lanes for 10 months while it healed.

Hopefully it's just a strain of some sort and will heal quickly for you though. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RynMan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:17 am

eftda wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Shin splints are basically inflammatoion of the muscles on the front and outside part of the shin area. They don't have anything to do with the bone really. The main muscle affected from shin splints is tibialis anterior which is responsible for pulling your foot upwards - technical word is called dorsi-flexion. You can get shin splints from jogging alot and activites where you are repetitively using that muscle (in running the T.A. muscles prevents you from dragging your foot), especially on hard surfaces. Believe it or not you actually need to stretch you calf muscles because they are the opposing muscle group, if they are tight it can cause problems on the other side of the joint. So I would recommend stretching your calf muscles, and also strengthening your T.A. and other anterior muscles. You can do this by sitting on the ground, put your foot under a couch and lift with only your foot and toes.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: Any athletic trainers out there?

Postby RynMan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:18 am

nsulham wrote:I think I pulled/strained my groin at softball last night. Basically I can't rotate it much (can barely lift my knee up much without my inner thigh almost killing me) and just walking the dog outside now felt like crap walking back up the street. I'm fine sitting down but walking presents a few minor problems. If at all possible I'd like to be ready for next Thursday's games.

I just started icing. Is there anything else I can/should do? Thanks.

Sorry dude, another thing I should have mentioned. Take some inti-inflammatories. I don't know if you guys have Neurofen or Voltaren....just anything that has Ibuprofen. ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:28 am

Madison wrote:
eftda wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Actually I was going to post earlier, but figured I'd see if I could find my paperwork first. No luck, so this will be in layman's terms.

Not to scare you or anything Lo, but this sounds a lot like my big injury a couple of years ago, except it was my left leg. Knew it wasn't a hamstring since I had pulled those before, and I was right. Right in the same spot you mention, back of the thigh, right at the buttcheek, hurt anytime I tried to bend my knee or really put weight on the leg. Hurt up into the buttcheek itself. Forget about stretching, that wasn't going to happen.

Turns out, I had partially torn a supporting muscle of the hamstring (million dollar doctor word--that's what I was trying to find the paperwork on--no luck). Hamstring was fine, but couldn't support the weight by itself (remember I'm a bowler, so my left leg is my slide leg). Didn't need surgery or anything, but it took me off the lanes for 10 months while it healed.

Hopefully it's just a strain of some sort and will heal quickly for you though. ;-D

This sounds a little more serious but I'm not a physio (disclaimer).

Mad: Was it one these?
- Semimembranosis
- Semitendinosis
- Bicep Femoris

These are the 3 hamstring muscles, and if it is hurting up near your ass cheek it sounds like you have strained or partially torn one of the hamstring tendons (muscles turn into tendon to insert into bone). Other than that it could be gracilious (but thats on the inside part of your leg), or your glutes but sounds more like a hamstring.

Interesting that it is ok when you walk around, but hurts when you are sitting down though. :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:23 am

RynMan wrote:
Madison wrote:
eftda wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

This sounds a little more serious but I'm not a physio (disclaimer).

Mad: Was it one these?
- Semimembranosis
- Semitendinosis
- Bicep Femoris

These are the 3 hamstring muscles, and if it is hurting up near your ass cheek it sounds like you have strained or partially torn one of the hamstring tendons (muscles turn into tendon to insert into bone). Other than that it could be gracilious (but thats on the inside part of your leg), or your glutes but sounds more like a hamstring.

Interesting that it is ok when you walk around, but hurts when you are sitting down though. :-?

I will assume that this is directed towards me. Like with many muscle ailments, it tends to tighten up during inactivity. Once I move around a bit, it still bothers me but seems to loosen up.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:49 pm

RynMan wrote:Mad: Was it one these?
- Semimembranosis
- Semitendinosis
- Bicep Femoris

It wasn't the Bicep Femoris, but I'm pretty sure it started with an "S", so it was probably one of the two you named.

It was a couple of years ago though, and I'm 100% now :-) , so I was just passing along my experience to Lo. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RynMan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:21 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I will assume that this is directed towards me. Like with many muscle ailments, it tends to tighten up during inactivity. Once I move around a bit, it still bothers me but seems to loosen up.

Yeah sorry Lo, should have mentioned I was referring to you not Mad. But yes that makes more sense....if it hurts after you get up from sitting down, that would suggest hamstring. If it isn't settling down it could be a grade 2 tear. In which case best to see a physio. :-/
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby matmat » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:50 pm

RynMan wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I will assume that this is directed towards me. Like with many muscle ailments, it tends to tighten up during inactivity. Once I move around a bit, it still bothers me but seems to loosen up.

Yeah sorry Lo, should have mentioned I was referring to you not Mad. But yes that makes more sense....if it hurts after you get up from sitting down, that would suggest hamstring. If it isn't settling down it could be a grade 2 tear. In which case best to see a physio. :-/

hmmm... can we get a little red cross for ryn under his avatar? (in addition to the coffee mug?)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk