Any athletic trainers out there? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any athletic trainers out there?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any athletic trainers out there?

Postby nsulham » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:38 am

I think I pulled/strained my groin at softball last night. Basically I can't rotate it much (can barely lift my knee up much without my inner thigh almost killing me) and just walking the dog outside now felt like crap walking back up the street. I'm fine sitting down but walking presents a few minor problems. If at all possible I'd like to be ready for next Thursday's games.

I just started icing. Is there anything else I can/should do? Thanks.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:40 am

Blech, groin problems, eh??? :-/

I've had a few groin strains in my day (probably not as severe as yours). They take forever to heal. I think a few times I tried to wrap my upper thigh with bandages or whatever to take some of the pressure off it. I don't know what else to do with them because I'm not a trainer. :-)
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RynMan » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:45 am

Sounds like you strained one of your hip adductors. These are the muscles that are responsible for pulling your thigh in towards the middle of your body. The fact that it hurts when you lift your leg supports that because you are stretching those muscles during that movement. Does it also hurt when you move your thigh outwards away from the middle of your body?

As with any tissue injury there is inflammation so you need to do the old RICE procedure. Rest Ice Compression Elevation. Keep icing it (20 mins on, 20 mins off), tightly wrap a bandage around the inside of your thigh and try and elevate it above your heart if possible.....when you goto bed put pillows under your feet to elevate it.

You basically need to let it recover for a while. As it starts to get better just start to stretch it out gently.

I'm not an athletic trainer yet, still doing my Masters. But hope this helps..
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:53 am

Sorry, should have also mentioned to only do RICE for 48 hours after the injury. If it still isn't any better you need to rest it longer. If no improvement make an appointment to see a physio.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby nsulham » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:43 am

Thanks Ryn, awesome help ;-D

I'll give it a shot.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:50 am

While we're on the subject, what do you do for shin splints?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:08 am

blankman wrote:While we're on the subject, what do you do for shin splints?

I am anxious about that as well. Between softball and working as a park counselor, I have shin splints bad as well as a muscle pull. Right where the hammy meets the buttcheek on the back of my leg. Once I walk around, I'm O.K. but just sitting sround and driving hurts like hell.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby baseball6791 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:22 pm

I had a similar thing happen to me last week during double days for football. I did it first to my hammy, then my quad. The hammy has pretty much healed, but its been about a week and a half and my quad still hasn't healed. I've pulled my groin a couple times as well and they definitely take time to heal. My results are probably skewed seeing as I play on these injuries (probably making them worse :-o ) but upper leg pulls/strains seem to be some of the worst, and seem to take the longest to heal. I would just say Ice it, I also heard that Icing and stretching at the same time is good as well, for example, elevate your leg onto a chair so it stretches the muscles and ice it while it is stretching. I'm not a professional, but that's my personal experience. Hope it helps.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:27 pm

Not sure about any athletic trainers, but from what I hear Mookie is a big athletic supporter. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Rirruto » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 pm

Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to General Talk