Action Replay: A Godsend for NCAA Football Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Action Replay: A Godsend for NCAA Football Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Action Replay: A Godsend for NCAA Football Players

Postby Irish » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:57 pm

So, I bought NCAA 2006 last week and have been playing nonstop, but I wanted all the players names and what-not so it felt real to me, rahter then #3 etc.

So I decided to start typing them in, but that was a bad idea with hundreds of teams to fill.

Then...... I saw I could buy Action Replay for my XBOX, download the files off the net on to a memory card using it and have all the rosters, including the historic teams, all-time teams etc (something you can't get in madden either because the players aren't in the NFL anymore).

So, just wanted to say it's a cool thing to get and I'm enjoying the college football much more now(the announcers even say the names, which is sweet).

It also works for any other game, but I got it specifically for this. Sorry if this sounded like an ad, but I thought people that were really in to college football and didn't have it on the PC would love this thing. ;-D
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:15 pm

My buddy has it and he says he really enjoys it. ;-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:29 pm

If you want something similar for the PS2 then get the maxdrive... ;-D
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Phatferd » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:24 pm

I love the MaxDrive, however, it messed my memory card up the last time I tried to update rosters.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:13 pm

The MaxDrive messed up my memory card too, totally erased it I think. But it is pretty awesome though if it didn't do that.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Irish » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 pm

What I'm confused about is how the announcers say all the names. If they knew the game wasn't going to have names, then why did they program it so the announcers could say them all?

On another note I really like NCAA 2006, if anyone was thinking of getting it. More realistic then the last one was IMO. ;-D
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:26 pm

Irish wrote:What I'm confused about is how the announcers say all the names. If they knew the game wasn't going to have names, then why did they program it so the announcers could say them all?

On another note I really like NCAA 2006, if anyone was thinking of getting it. More realistic then the last one was IMO. ;-D

I really wanted to get it, but they don't sell it in Canada. So maybe one time when I go to the States, I'll pick it up.

What would you rate it Irish?
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Phatferd » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:04 am

go_jays_go wrote:
Irish wrote:What I'm confused about is how the announcers say all the names. If they knew the game wasn't going to have names, then why did they program it so the announcers could say them all?

I really wanted to get it, but they don't sell it in Canada. So maybe one time when I go to the States, I'll pick it up.

What don't they have in Canada? Can't you order it online and have it shipped there.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Irish » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:37 pm

go_jays_go wrote:

I'd give it an 8 out of 10, but for minor discrepancies.

First the good:

-the heisman mode is a cool touch, but not much different from dynasty mode, except you have a dorm room with fan mail(worthless repetitive stuff) and your room increases each year and there is a heisman ceremony(extremely quick and not that impressive.) But it is cool to center it around one player and see what you can do.

- The dynasty mode is great (alot like last years) with the sports illustrated feature covering a variety of games/topics and keeping you up to date on what's going on around college football. You can also recruit during the season, which is pretty sweet.

- The real thing I noticed is the gameplay is better. You can run and pass the ball effectively, the animations are better, you can get "tackled" occasionally when you get stood up but you can pound the a button to break away which is cool. Plus you have the truck/hit sticks like madden.

Another good thing is I'll play on all-american and whoop vanderbuilt 55-10, but come back and lose to tennesee in a real close game(I'm georgia) so the realism is there.

The bad:

No names(which can be fixed obviously). The heisman mode I got tired of, just because he fan mail is extremely repetitive("I knew you could be good" from Kathy etc etc) and it is pretty easy to win the heisman when you just make sure the player is involved in every play.

That's about it though. Lots of classic teams, all time teams, players look real, stadium intimidation is there. Basically, last years game, but I feel like I get a more realistic competitive game then I used to.

On Varsity I would blow out everybody, on Heisman i would get raped by friggin Utep or whoever in the old days, but it's better now, which is what the game comes down to IMO. Also, it's harder to scramble with the quarterback, which makes it better.

Oh, and I forgot, the minigames (pass skeleton especially) are fun and help you improve. The pass skeleton lets you run pass plays against just secondaries, so you don't have to worry about scrambling and can practice all the routes against zones, man to man coverages etc.

Anyway, that's about it. I recommend it. ;-D
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:56 am

Mustangs989 wrote:If you want something similar for the PS2 then get the maxdrive... ;-D
how much is it, and how does it work?
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu