David Wright value next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wright value next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby duckbillgates » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:33 pm

Funny story. During a brief early season slump, Wright owner dropped him, because he also had Beltre.
It was a 10-team league, so everyone had a decent 3B, including me (Huff).
I didn't want to use a high waiver priority on him, but I snabbed him after he CLEARED waivers.
Suffice it to say he's the reason I have wormed my way into first for the first time all season.
Still, third is going to be insanely deep next season, especially if Miggy is eligible there. Wright is in the top-tier for certain, but I don't think he's an automatic no-brainer keeper, particularly for leagues that only keep three or four.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1216
Joined: 1 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: under a dead Ohio sky

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:01 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:I kinda compare Wright to Miggy. Not in terms of how they play the game but that they are very young and look to be continually getting better. Wright is likely my favorite player but i expect those numbers everyone has been talking about and they are realistic. The chances of Bay ever reaching around 15 sb again are unrealistic. I really dont see how this guy has any speed and i believe most of his SB came from taking advantage of bad catchers and good situations. I mean 6 cs out of 10 attempts shows the true jason bay last year. While Wright we already know has speed, he could even put up 25 sb. I think Bay will hit around .290 - 30 - 100 - 100 - 10 Which are still very nice numbers but i believe hell keep a steady pace to this years numbers. I also think Bay strikes out a little too much compared to his # of walks, but still a very fine keeper indeed. I think Wright has a much higher ceiling, around a top 5 pick if he can get his power to 35 hr. Just imagine.

.305 - 110 - 35 - 120 - 25 Of course those numbers are generous, and im thinking more like 3 years down the road, but i think ill take that top 5. Also depending on where he plays in the lineup, and if Beltran can get OB more and get in scoring position.

;-D

But how does that explain Bay's 14 sb to 0 cs ratio this year? Maybe he's just getting better jumps and has learned the major league pitchers this year better.

In my mind, he's a smart base stealer, and that can usually get you atleast 15 SB's a year if you play your cards right.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: fds

Postby Half Massed » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:09 am

RynMan wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote: As for Wright I got him at number 4 next year and higher the year after that. I expect at the least probably .305 30 105 100 15 and he has upside to perform much better than that in 06. He's going to someday be a consistant 1st/2nd rounder for years to come, so ;-D to anyone who has him in a dyntasy, keeper, etc. type league.


Curious as to who the 3 guys above him are?

1. A-Rod

I would put Wright right after A-Rod.


1. A-Rod

2. Miggy (should he get eligability)

3. Wright or Aram, depending on your projections and such.

This has been the order most people have put up so far. Sounds pretty close to my thoughts at this time as well.
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Postby The_Met_Threat » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:11 am

mweir145 wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:I kinda compare Wright to Miggy. Not in terms of how they play the game but that they are very young and look to be continually getting better. Wright is likely my favorite player but i expect those numbers everyone has been talking about and they are realistic. The chances of Bay ever reaching around 15 sb again are unrealistic. I really dont see how this guy has any speed and i believe most of his SB came from taking advantage of bad catchers and good situations. I mean 6 cs out of 10 attempts shows the true jason bay last year. While Wright we already know has speed, he could even put up 25 sb. I think Bay will hit around .290 - 30 - 100 - 100 - 10 Which are still very nice numbers but i believe hell keep a steady pace to this years numbers. I also think Bay strikes out a little too much compared to his # of walks, but still a very fine keeper indeed. I think Wright has a much higher ceiling, around a top 5 pick if he can get his power to 35 hr. Just imagine.

.305 - 110 - 35 - 120 - 25 Of course those numbers are generous, and im thinking more like 3 years down the road, but i think ill take that top 5. Also depending on where he plays in the lineup, and if Beltran can get OB more and get in scoring position.

;-D

But how does that explain Bay's 14 sb to 0 cs ratio this year? Maybe he's just getting better jumps and has learned the major league pitchers this year better.

In my mind, he's a smart base stealer, and that can usually get you atleast 15 SB's a year if you play your cards right.


Ya thats true i can't explain where that came from. Id have to go and look whenever he stole a base and see who the catcher was and frankly too lazy, and that is not the point im trying to prove anyway. Still i see Wright as higher ceiling and lower floor. But Bay is still good.
Image
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 14 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:18 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:I kinda compare Wright to Miggy. Not in terms of how they play the game but that they are very young and look to be continually getting better. Wright is likely my favorite player but i expect those numbers everyone has been talking about and they are realistic. The chances of Bay ever reaching around 15 sb again are unrealistic. I really dont see how this guy has any speed and i believe most of his SB came from taking advantage of bad catchers and good situations. I mean 6 cs out of 10 attempts shows the true jason bay last year. While Wright we already know has speed, he could even put up 25 sb. I think Bay will hit around .290 - 30 - 100 - 100 - 10 Which are still very nice numbers but i believe hell keep a steady pace to this years numbers. I also think Bay strikes out a little too much compared to his # of walks, but still a very fine keeper indeed. I think Wright has a much higher ceiling, around a top 5 pick if he can get his power to 35 hr. Just imagine.

.305 - 110 - 35 - 120 - 25 Of course those numbers are generous, and im thinking more like 3 years down the road, but i think ill take that top 5. Also depending on where he plays in the lineup, and if Beltran can get OB more and get in scoring position.

;-D

But how does that explain Bay's 14 sb to 0 cs ratio this year? Maybe he's just getting better jumps and has learned the major league pitchers this year better.

In my mind, he's a smart base stealer, and that can usually get you atleast 15 SB's a year if you play your cards right.


Ya thats true i can't explain where that came from. Id have to go and look whenever he stole a base and see who the catcher was and frankly too lazy, and that is not the point im trying to prove anyway. Still i see Wright as higher ceiling and lower floor. But Bay is still good.

Yeah, I guess I'll believe you because I haven't seen enough of either of them to really know who is the better player at the moment, and who will do better in the future.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby The_Met_Threat » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:26 am

Isn't Bay canadian i thought they'd plaster him all over the sports networks their maybe even air some pirate games every once in a while because he is pretty much canadas best player this season.
Image
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 14 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:35 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:Isn't Bay canadian i thought they'd plaster him all over the sports networks their maybe even air some pirate games every once in a while because he is pretty much canadas best player this season.

Since when does Canada like baseball enough to put him all over sports networks? :-b Canada is a hockey country, first and foremost..and then you get to Toronto, which is a crazy Leaf city.

There's no room for some guy who plays on Pittsburgh named Jason Bay. :-b

I've never seen a Pirates game here, I've only seen Jason Bay in highlights and in the home run derby.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby The_Met_Threat » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:37 am

There is still hockey highlights without any hockey being played? :-?

How do you do that? 8-o

Wow im glad im not up there, Hockey = :-t .

But Canada is a great country. ;-D
Image
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 14 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:39 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:There is still hockey highlights without any hockey being played? :-?

How do you do that? 8-o

Wow im glad im not up there, Hockey = :-t .

But Canada is a great country. ;-D

Well, before the summer all of the Major Junior hockey was on which ended with the Memorial Cup.

But now it's mostly talking about the large amount of signings everyday.

The Jays don't even get that much media attention, and you expect Jason Bay to get some?

Edit: And if networks show baseball games that aren't the Jays, it is usually a Yankees or Sox game.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:59 am

godallahstar wrote:Before aramis?

i don't know about that, it depends on if youre playing the positions as such. from a 3rd baseman i'd like power and rbi, exactly what aramis will give you. I don't think david wright will turn into a 40 home run guy.


Yup. First of all, Aramis has NEVER hit 40 HRs in a season.

Wright's likely to narrow any difference in HRs and to be able to equal Aramis in RBIs, runs, and BA.

And 15+ SBs to Aramis guaranteed none seals the deal. A 15 SB advantage wipes out what is likely to be a 5-7 HR advantage easy.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: neuronss and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Aug. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Houston at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Detroit at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Washington
(4:05 pm)
LA Angels at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Francisco at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact