David Wright value next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wright value next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Wright value next year?

Postby BuckeyeSal » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:19 pm

He's been putting on a show after the all star break. His numbers next year could be in the 28-30 HR range with 100 R's 100 RBI's 20 SB's .310 BA. That's actually a pretty conservative estimate. Does this move him into a top 25-30 type player?
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Wright value next year?

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:20 pm

BuckeyeSal wrote:He's been putting on a show after the all star break. His numbers next year could be in the 28-30 HR range with 100 R's 100 RBI's 20 SB's .310 BA. That's actually a pretty conservative estimate. Does this move him into a top 25-30 type player?

I think he will develop into Chipper Jones type player. In a couple of years, he should be a top 10 player.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

fsd

Postby joeg24 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:26 pm

I've wondered this too as I have him in a three person keeper.

When his average was 285 all year I thought he was solid, now at 310+ he's been getting me excited for next year.

His plate approach is so great it's hard to imagine him not being a 300/30/110/20 guy next year. He does look like his power will improve too. 300/40 someday? I think it's possible.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say in a standard roto he goes in the early third, in a head to head maybe 4th?

No denying that he isn't going to be a real baseball superstar as he's already made 2 of the top 10 web-jems this year and has a likable personality and is in NY.
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ukjohn » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:09 pm

He and Felix Hernandez are my top young guys in my keeper league right now. Wright is one of my favorite players, because he just loves the game of baseball and doesn't want to be in the spotlight. He has batted anywhere from 2nd to 7th this year and you never hear a peep out of him. He has made the top 2 defensive plays of the year also, so New York fans have to love him.

Right now there is no doubt he is a top 5 3b. I would take him in the first 3 rounds next year. He is going to be a 1st rounder soon.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AT » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:20 pm

As an obvious Yankee fan and NY Homer I follow the Mets pretty closely for someone who isn't a direct fan of them and Wright has been an absolute superstar this season. Only time he struggled was coming into the end of the first half due to fatigue. Nothing wrong with that.

I'd say logical projections for him are:

.320, 25-35 HR, 110 RBI, 100 R, 15 SB.

Those numbers are a little optimistic but I don't think they're ridiculous at all. This puts him as the #3 3B IMO if Cabrera gets 3B eligibility behind ARod and Cabrera. Only Ensberg, Chavez, Chipper, and Ramirez have a shot to match those numbers but will not get the SB's. I don't expect Blalock, Beltre, Huff, or whoever else to get close to those totals next season and I can't handle their inconsistencies.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:21 pm

Agreed....he hasn't looked bad for any elongated stretch this season, and playing very well late into the season, where some may have expected a slow down being his first full season. He was hyped, and he's living up to that hype. He is hype.

ukjohn wrote:He and Felix Hernandez are my top young guys in my keeper league right now. Wright is one of my favorite players, because he just loves the game of baseball and doesn't want to be in the spotlight. He has batted anywhere from 2nd to 7th this year and you never hear a peep out of him. He has made the top 2 defensive plays of the year also, so New York fans have to love him.

Right now there is no doubt he is a top 5 3b. I would take him in the first 3 rounds next year. He is going to be a 1st rounder soon.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BuckeyeSal » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:35 pm

Since the All Star Break:

.383 9Hrs 34 Rs. 38 RBI's 7 SB's. in 141 AB's 8-o
BuckeyeSal
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:37 pm

Man, I'd hate to have Blalock's inconsistency on my team...

100 30 100 285 is terrible (granted he gets no SB)

But yes, I agree that Wright probably has the higher ceiliing, he may not reach it next year. But I agree w/ your projections . I'd take him as my the #4 3B w/ Aram, MCab & Arod ahead of him.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:15 pm

i would hope that next year he would see more at bats in the 3-5th spots which will help. this year he is mostly in the 5-7th spot in the order.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:22 pm

I think he will bat 3-5 all of next year. Randolph made him earn it this year but Wright has done a good job of forcing his hand. This probably won't happen but I would love to see the '06 opening day top of the order be Reyes-Beltran-Wright.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers