NL CY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NL CY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:32 pm

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:If the Marlins get the Wild Card spot in the NL, I call Todd Jones as a surprise Cy Young winner this year.

That's a bold call, however no way do I see it happening. :-/
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Red Stripe » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:36 pm

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:If the Marlins get the Wild Card spot in the NL, I call Todd Jones as a surprise Cy Young winner this year.

Hes been good, but not Cy Young good, and plus hes a closer if a closer is going to win the award theyd have to have Mariano Rivera numbers before his recent poor blown saves and loss like 2 weeks ago.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:10 pm

Red Stripe wrote:

Hes been good, but not Cy Young good, and plus hes a closer if a closer is going to win the award theyd have to have Mariano Rivera numbers before his recent poor blown saves and loss like 2 weeks ago.
todd jones..cy young

:-b
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:27 pm

Carpenter gets so unlucky this year by having his monster season the same year Clemens goes like sub 2.00 ERA... :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Carpenter

Postby SimpleAsThat » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:46 pm

While Clemens ERA is certainly impressive, there's a reason that the voters consider a pitcher's wins. The point of a game is to win and not to have the lowest ERA. What is better, getting 30 wins in a year or having an ERA under 2.00? When I pitched in high school, all I cared about was wins and didn't even know my ERA. Granted, I wasn't any good, but that's beside the point.

If I were voting, I would pick Carpenter over Clemens. Just my opinion.
SimpleAsThat
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Carpenter

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:19 pm

SimpleAsThat wrote:While Clemens ERA is certainly impressive, there's a reason that the voters consider a pitcher's wins. The point of a game is to win and not to have the lowest ERA. What is better, getting 30 wins in a year or having an ERA under 2.00? When I pitched in high school, all I cared about was wins and didn't even know my ERA. Granted, I wasn't any good, but that's beside the point.

If I were voting, I would pick Carpenter over Clemens. Just my opinion.

Of course the point is to win, but winning comes from 25, not one. You could throw a no hitter every start, and not win once in theory. A win, while dependent on the SP performance, also depends on defense, run support, bullpen. A sp doesn't control those 3. So why should he get penalized for it? It's a little easier pitching for St. Louis. St. Louis is 13.5 games ahead of Houston. The Cards have scored 100 more runs. Clemens has 8 games where he didn't give up a run, and his team failed to score. How could Clemens win those 8? He can't. nor anyone else. It's the 1st time since Randy Jones in 76 was so snake bitten. Carpenter has gotton 1.5 runs more per 9 innings. Superman wouldn't beat Carpenter in wins with Clemens luck.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Carpenter

Postby JTWood » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:25 pm

HOOTIE wrote:Superman wouldn't beat Carpenter in wins with Clemens luck.

Well, duh! Superman doesn't have anything after fastball-changeup. You need at least three pitches to start in the Majors.

:-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:48 am

I don't normally care for Jayson Stark but I really like this article.
link
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:13 pm

The fact that the Astros scored 0 runs in 8 of his starts will weigh very heavily. If Clemens does finish the season with an ERA around 1.50, he will get a lot more votes than you think. No matter how many Ws Carpenter ends up with won't change the fact that Clemens has been the best pitcher this season and arguably the last 30+ years.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:19 pm

Yoda wrote:The fact that the Astros scored 0 runs in 8 of his starts will weigh very heavily. If Clemens does finish the season with an ERA around 1.50, he will get a lot more votes than you think. No matter how many Ws Carpenter ends up with won't change the fact that Clemens has been the best pitcher this season and arguably the last 30+ years.

Clemens sheer notoriety will get him votes. The fact that his ERA is 1.50 is amazing, but I can't see him winning. No pitcher in the last 20 years has not won the CY Young that has 23 wins. I can't see Carpenter not winning it...but then again, I thought RJ should have taken it last year....
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers