NL CY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

NL CY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:14 am

blankman wrote:"If they don't, [make the playoffs] then obviously Clemens wasn't valuable enough."

JT, playoffs have nothing to do with the Cy Young. The award is for the best pitcher, period and I sure hope you don't believe that statement. Even if it was about value, the most valuable pitcher is the best one in the league and that so far is Clemens.

Yeah...Clemens VORP is the highest for any pitcher in the major leagues this season. Regardless, though, this isn't about value, it's about who has been the best pitcher. Looking at the numbers it is undoubtably Clemens.

Did I just defend Blankman? :-S
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sheff's Chef » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:16 am

Carpenter. RJ put up better stats than Clemens in everything last year, WHIP, ERA, Ks, BAA, BB, IP, AND pitched a perfecto. But because of Clemens W-L and where his team finished in the standings, he was given the award. Why flip-flop on this, and go the opposite way when things turn out almost the same way the next year? Carpenter has pitched great, his team is running away with the NL Central and is the best team in the national league, he's pitched 6 CGs, 4 of those were shutouts. He's been great. Clemens has been great as well, but the appealing stats(aside from the biggie--ERA, which Carp isn't that far behind) are with Carpenter. Just give it to Carpenter.
Sheff's Chef
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby JTWood » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:48 am

blankman wrote:"If they don't, [make the playoffs] then obviously Clemens wasn't valuable enough."

JT, playoffs have nothing to do with the Cy Young. The award is for the best pitcher, period and I sure hope you don't believe that statement. Even if it was about value, the most valuable pitcher is the best one in the league and that so far is Clemens.

I didn't say how it should be. Marver did a fine enough job of posting that.

I was just saying how the voters think.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby blankman » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:57 am

Sheff's Chef wrote:Carpenter. RJ put up better stats than Clemens in everything last year, WHIP, ERA, Ks, BAA, BB, IP, AND pitched a perfecto. But because of Clemens W-L and where his team finished in the standings, he was given the award. Why flip-flop on this, and go the opposite way when things turn out almost the same way the next year? Carpenter has pitched great, his team is running away with the NL Central and is the best team in the national league, he's pitched 6 CGs, 4 of those were shutouts. He's been great. Clemens has been great as well, but the appealing stats(aside from the biggie--ERA, which Carp isn't that far behind) are with Carpenter. Just give it to Carpenter.

Because they screwed up last year, they should screw up again? Makes no sense.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Sheff's Chef » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:15 am

blankman wrote:Because they screwed up last year, they should screw up again? Makes no sense.

I think it makes perfect sense seeing as how Clemens benefitted from the screw-up last year. Why should he not be on the other end of the stick this year? The voters have to show some consistency. ;-7
Sheff's Chef
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: NL CY

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:05 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Why the infatuation over Clemens?

Because he's been the best pitcher in bb this year. He leads all pitchers in vorp, win shares, era.

The fact RJ deserved it last year is moot. Carpenter might win because of great record, but Roger has been the best pitcher this year.

Not to take away from Carpenter, but Cards have scored 99 more runs then Astros. Carpenter is 15th in NL in runs per 9 (5.18), to Rogers 46th (3.73). Roger has only lost 2 more games then Carpenter. Roger has 5 tough losses, to Carpenters 2. A tough loss is losing a quality start.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:00 pm

There are some great posts here. If I was voting Clemens would have my vote. Last year RJ would have had it. More than anything I just wish the voters would show some consistancy.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby RynMan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:17 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:There are some great posts here. If I was voting Clemens would have my vote. Last year RJ would have had it. More than anything I just wish the voters would show some consistancy.

Times two.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby davidmarver » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:19 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:There are some great posts here. If I was voting Clemens would have my vote. Last year RJ would have had it. More than anything I just wish the voters would show some consistancy.

This I can agree with; the voters, to put it simple, seem to select the wrong player more often than they should. Sad really :-/ .
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:37 am

If the Marlins get the Wild Card spot in the NL, I call Todd Jones as a surprise Cy Young winner this year.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers