Who Do I Believe: ESPN or KMOX??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Who Do I Believe: ESPN or KMOX???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who Do I Believe: ESPN or KMOX???

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:02 am

ESPN.com wrote:PITTSBURGH -- The St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Pirates got into a brief shoving match during batting practice Wednesday night, prompting the umpires to hold a pregame meeting with managers Tony La Russa and Lloyd McClendon.

It did not appear any punches were thrown during the four-minute scuffle, which occurred with the Pirates finishing up their hitting and the Cardinals stretching. St. Louis pitching coach Dave Duncan and Pittsburgh hitting coach Gerald Perry appeared to be restrained by teammates.

"There was some pushing and shoving, just two competitive clubs," McClendon said. "Both clubs want to win. Things probably got a little bit out of hand."

The Cardinals-Pirates series already had been a rough one before tempers flared. The previous two days, each team had a player injured.

McClendon and La Russa talked behind the batting cage for 10 minutes after the fray. They later met in an eight-minute, closed-door session requested by umpires.
Asked for a comment, La Russa said, "I have nothing to say. How's that for a comment?"

La Russa's Cardinals lead the NL Central and are 25 games ahead of the Pirates.
Pittsburgh second baseman Jose Castillo sustained a season-ending knee injury when he collided with Hector Luna while trying to turn a double play in the Cardinals' 3-1 win Monday. The Cardinals' So Taguchi wound up with a bruised hand when he was hit by a pitch from Ryan Vogelsong in the ninth inning of Pittsburgh's 10-0 victory Tuesday.

"I'm sure there were some sensitive feelings as to whether or not some of their players were thrown at intentionally," McClendon said. "I think we got all that straightened out now."

McClendon said he also discussed the incident in a pregame meeting with his team.

KMOX said this morning that FoxSports has definitivie video of Perry punching Duncan in the face. One KMOX commentator went so far as to flat-out say that Perry is just lying when he sayd that he didn't throw a punch.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:06 am

Okay, I just saw the video on ESPN of all places. Perry definitely punched Duncan. You can see his head fly back.

What kind of crack are they smoking over at ESPN for them to say that no punches were thrown when they have a video that obviously shows the opposite?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:07 am

ESPN is just running the AP story. The AP got it wrong. The video shows it plain as day.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Return to St. Louis Cardinals