Is the NL east the best division ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is the NL east the best division ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JTWood » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:29 pm

tribefan13 wrote:I think this is a good factor and shows that this NL East is just the most balanced, not BEST

I don't know... The NL West seems pretty balanced to me. To borrow from Mr. Berkman, "They all suck equally."

That's balance, right?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:31 pm

tribefan13 wrote:Well I definately think the AL is overall a lot better than the NL.
A note about the Nl east being the best division ever, as of right now they NL east division is 48 games above .500. I looked at a total of 3 years of the past and already found that in 1998 the AL East was 62 games above .500 together. So if you put all their records together the Al East killed them...... I think this is a good factor and shows that this NL East is just the most balanced, not BEST

In 1998 the Yankess ALONE were 66 games above .500. That's not a good metric to use because it lends waaaaay too much weight to having only one star team, rather than balance through and through. It's like a starting rotation. If you have Koufax on day one and Brian Anderson, Kyle Snyder, and Tanyon Sturtze starting the next three days, overall you might look even to other teams (because Koufax picks up the slack for the other three), but you still only have one great pitcher.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:32 pm

Interesting thread. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that this is the best division ever, but it is definitely up there.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby tribefan13 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:33 pm

I know that they weren't BALANCED then but overall their division had a better record so tehrefore a better division overall.
tribefan13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DK » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:00 pm

tribefan13 wrote:I know that they weren't BALANCED then but overall their division had a better record so tehrefore a better division overall.

I disagree. A better record doesn't mean a better division overall, again, think of it as a starting rotation. If you have the greatest pitcher ever and then four below-average pitchers, you're not going to be as good as a team with five good pitchers (assuming all other things equal), since your great pitcher only goes once every five games. Overall W-L record doesn't specify the strength of a division, because it can vary so much in terms of outliers.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:49 am

Tavish wrote:Not even close to the best in history. It is a very well balanced division, but if you want the most balanced division ever you would have to start with the 1991 AL West. All 7 teams who finished .500 or better. Plus there wasn't a "balanced" schedule back then where the teams just basically beat up on each other.

I agree. The 2001 AL West was a beast. 116 and 102 wins. In 93, didn't SF miss the playoffs with 101 wins? The NL East is balanced, but a long way from best ever.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers