Is the NL east the best division ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is the NL east the best division ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is the NL east the best division ever?

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:18 am

Philliebuster wrote:Now when you say this, there has to be a division that is coming into you mind that was historically better....which was it...heck throw one out there and tell me why they were the better division.

raiders_umpire wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:Following the NL west is a joke thread, the worst team in the NL East is 66-60. That's amamzing....and I can't quite remember a complete division ever finishing all teams above .500. or maybe it does happen alot. Could the NL east be the best division ever? I don't know how one could find these stats.

hard to really say if they are the best division ever by depth,,,, but i would venture to say easily that the NL East last place team this year will be the best "last" place team in baseball.... but i also can not say that Atlanta is the best first place team in baseball either,,,so that really wipes out the "best" division in baseball theory imo....

The AL West in 2002

Team W L WL%
Oakland OAK 103 59 .636
Anaheim ANA 99 63 .611
Seattle SEA 93 69 .574
Texas TEX 72 90 .444

Oakland had the Big 3 and and MVP year from Tejada
Anaheim won the WS as the Wild Card team
Seattle was the best team to not make the playoffs
and Texas was damned respectable for having to play 54 games against division rivals who averaged 98 wins each.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:23 am

All you can say about the NL East is that it is solid top to bottom and lacks the really bad team you find in other divisons (or the 4 or 5 you find in the NL West).

But, AT LEAST two team in all three of the AL divisions would probably win the NL East: Oakland, Anaheim, Chicago, Cleveland, New York and Boston. Teams like Minnesota and Toronto would have a good shot.

There is no way the NL East the best division this year, much less ever.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Is the NL east the best division ever?

Postby WharfRat » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:26 am

Mookie4ever wrote:The AL West in 2002

Team W L WL%
Oakland OAK 103 59 .636
Anaheim ANA 99 63 .611
Seattle SEA 93 69 .574
Texas TEX 72 90 .444

Oakland had the Big 3 and and MVP year from Tejada
Anaheim won the WS as the Wild Card team
Seattle was the best team to not make the playoffs
and Texas was damned respectable for having to play 54 games against division rivals who averaged 98 wins each.

Good call.

I'm not even convinced this is the best the NL East has been this decade. In 2003, the Braves won 100 games, the Marlins won the Series, and the Phillies and Expos both were over .500. The Mets stunk.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:26 am

Thank's, I disagree with the Mets and O's being even and the Marlins are better that B-jays....and Nats are a better TEAM than the D-rays...better pitching....all three have better pitching in the NL is why they are better.

And OK, now we're getting somewhere....the 2002 AL West is impressive, adding the fact that the champs came from that division. But it did only have 4 teams and Texas was 31 games back of the A's.

Maybe i'm looking at it as the most BALANCED divison, and not the BEST, I don't know....but thought it should be debated. The fact that Texas was nearly 20 games under .500 knocks them out of the debate becasue it's only a 4 team division.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:29 am

Yeah....I really guess it depends on how the season ends, if someone from the NL East wins the WS and the wildcard...then maybe....but in the end how the teams fared from that divison definately means something....good point. If the NL east teams all don't make it anywhere in the playoffs, then they can't be the best ever.
Last edited by Philliebuster on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:29 am

AL East way better. Look at the players there.

Arod, Sheff, Jeter, Manny, Ortiz, Damon, Renteria, Tejada, Mora, crawford, etc...anyways good players
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:34 am

I don't think the individual players matter....AROD's never won a WS...I think it may hinge upon how far the teams from that division advance in the playoffs and who wins the WSeries. However when discussing the overall best division ever...all teams regular season standings in that divison have something to do with the decision. But I agree, if someone from the NL East doesn't win the WS, then the argument is shot.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dannyolbb » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:35 am

Certainly there must be a computer program that can help with this argument. Obviously, it can't be proof (there won't be an absolute proof in this argument), but it could help.

Then again, maybe it's just wishful thinking.
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:06 am

ARod's never won a WS....what does that have to do with anything at all? A ton of guys have never won a WS. Heck Barry Bonds or Albert Pujols has never won one...does that mean anything to this debate?

Record-wise they may be the best, but they sure as hell aren't even close to the best division in history. And yes, I think the AL East is better as a division as well. They may be top-heavy, but you don't need a ton of depth to be better (example, the '01 D-Backs who rode just Randy and Curt). I'd rather have the best of the best than a bunch of better than average teams.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Rirruto » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:11 am

The NL East is pretty damn good top to bottom. Any team in the division could win the wild card, it should make for an interesting September.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers