Is the NL east the best division ever? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is the NL east the best division ever?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is the NL east the best division ever?

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:58 am

Following the NL west is a joke thread, the worst team in the NL East is 66-60. That's amamzing....and I can't quite remember a complete division ever finishing all teams above .500. or maybe it does happen alot. Could the NL east be the best division ever? I don't know how one could find these stats.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:00 am

Nice try but if you are looking for the best at anything you pretty much have to look at the AL.

But the NL East records look pretty good. ;-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:01 am

Really, please show an example of a better division where the last place team is better than 6 games above .500?
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:07 am

Philliebuster wrote:Really, please show an example of a better division where the last place team is better than 6 games above .500?

That's not really the point. If you are asking about the best division you can't go just by record. If the NL East teams had to play 36 games each every year against the Red Sox and Yankees their records would not be as good.

The balance of power is undisputably in the AL so saying the best division is in the NL is not really realistic. But all the same, the records in the NL East are impressive.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:14 am

I have to respectfully disagree....take the AL East for example...yes you have to play the Yankees and Redsox more, but if you are the Yankees or Redsox you then play the D-rays, Blue Jays, and Orioles more. Head to toe, Mets, Braves, Phillies, Marlins and Nationals compile a better 5 teams than the AL east may have ever, minus the success of the Yanks and Sox. With interleague play now, you don't play the teams in your division more often. Someone please pull up a division historically that has been better, i've done a bit of searching and haven't seen any.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:29 am

When one would argue which was the best individual team in baseball, the first place one would start is the best season overall record, wins totals or percentage wise. Then we could start talking team chemistry, schedules etc.....so...You can argue until the cows come home about the AL East/Yankees/BoSox, but until you point out a divisional year that has statistically been better, then we can debate scheduling, team makeup, talent etc.

You can't tell me the AL east howwever in 1998 was better because the Yankees were 114-48 and Bosox were 92-10, when the Orioles were 79-83 and the Drays were 63-99.

I'm not saying that the NL east WILL end up this way, the Nationals are on a downward spiral....but they're on a great unbelievable pace.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:31 am

Here's a good link for divisional standings.

http://www.esm.psu.edu/~ajm138/baseball ... ?year=1997
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Is the NL east the best division ever?

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:00 am

Philliebuster wrote:Following the NL west is a joke thread, the worst team in the NL East is 66-60. That's amamzing....and I can't quite remember a complete division ever finishing all teams above .500. or maybe it does happen alot. Could the NL east be the best division ever? I don't know how one could find these stats.

hard to really say if they are the best division ever by depth,,,, but i would venture to say easily that the NL East last place team this year will be the best "last" place team in baseball.... but i also can not say that Atlanta is the best first place team in baseball either,,,so that really wipes out the "best" division in baseball theory imo....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:08 am

Now when you say this, there has to be a division that is coming into you mind that was historically better....which was it...heck throw one out there and tell me why they were the better division.

raiders_umpire wrote:
Philliebuster wrote:Following the NL west is a joke thread, the worst team in the NL East is 66-60. That's amamzing....and I can't quite remember a complete division ever finishing all teams above .500. or maybe it does happen alot. Could the NL east be the best division ever? I don't know how one could find these stats.

hard to really say if they are the best division ever by depth,,,, but i would venture to say easily that the NL East last place team this year will be the best "last" place team in baseball.... but i also can not say that Atlanta is the best first place team in baseball either,,,so that really wipes out the "best" division in baseball theory imo....
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:11 am

raiders_umpire wrote:

Red Sox vs. Braves - Red Sox
Yankees vs. Phillies - Yankees
Jays vs. Marlins - Even (edge to Jays when Halladay is healthy)
Orioles vs. Mets - Even
D-Rays vs. Nationals - D-Rays

Very unscientific, just my opinion.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers