Shoving Match during BP between Cards and Bucs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shoving Match during BP between Cards and Bucs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby zhutou » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:32 pm

link to video? can't find it on the espn website.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:44 pm

zhutou wrote:link to video? can't find it on the espn website.

It was in ESPN Motion this morning. I can't find it now. It's not on the Cards sight, either.

Sorry...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Rkiivs » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:58 pm

JTWood wrote:
Rkiivs wrote:Both teams are classless for taking something that happened earlier during the course of a baseball game and bringing it off the field. I don't think that's hard to understand.

Of course something's going to get discussed. There's nothing classless about that. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Discussion equals diplomacy, and if you are telling me diplomacy is classless...

Anyways, it's indisputable that the only classless person in the altercation was Perry. To make that claim on anyone else is flat-out wrong.

Oh, don't misunderstand me. There's nothing wrong with open discussion, even if it's heated at times (such discussion got this country a long way). In no way do I excuse either side for the altercation. And yes, one side may be more to blame than the other and I won't dispute that.

Look, the world won't stop turning because of this, I realize, but I help coach Little League and it confounds me to no end how these players don't understand that they are role models just by being a MLB player and their behavior speaks volumes. They can explain everything they want in interviews but in the end they have to walk the walk. Good sportsmanship and professionalism begin off the field. What amounts to third grade sand lot behavior makes the job just a little tougher.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox now.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby JTWood » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:11 pm

Rkiivs wrote:
JTWood wrote:
Rkiivs wrote:Both teams are classless for taking something that happened earlier during the course of a baseball game and bringing it off the field. I don't think that's hard to understand.

Of course something's going to get discussed. There's nothing classless about that. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Discussion equals diplomacy, and if you are telling me diplomacy is classless...

Anyways, it's indisputable that the only classless person in the altercation was Perry. To make that claim on anyone else is flat-out wrong.

Oh, don't misunderstand me. There's nothing wrong with open discussion, even if it's heated at times (such discussion got this country a long way). In no way do I excuse either side for the altercation. And yes, one side may be more to blame than the other and I won't dispute that.

Look, the world won't stop turning because of this, I realize, but I help coach Little League and it confounds me to no end how these players don't understand that they are role models just by being a MLB player and their behavior speaks volumes. They can explain everything they want in interviews but in the end they have to walk the walk. Good sportsmanship and professionalism begin off the field. What amounts to third grade sand lot behavior makes the job just a little tougher.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox now.

Not to tell you how to do your job, but this is actually a good example for your kids. Show them how the two teams were trying to resolve their matters amicably, and show them how one dufus can ruin everything. Then tell them not to be the dufus because no one likes a dufus. Furthermore, the dufus automatically brands his entire team with his idiotic acts, so the team players themselves should make it a point to let their teammates know these acts are not acceptable.

*checks off "Use dufus three times in one paragraph" from life goals*

:-D ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:56 am

I saw it during the Pirates game a few days ago. Gerald Perry definitely either elbowed or punched Duncan, and then everyone just ran in to stop it.

Perry is an idiot, and judging by how bad most of our hitters are should be fired anyway. I'm sure it stemmed from the day before. Hector Luna was just doing what every other player does when trying to break up a double play...it just so happens that one of our best fielders (Castillo) got hurt and is out for the year because of it. Bay got hit a few times in the back, and then some of their guys got hit or almost hit later. This, combined with the Jason Bay All-Star "snubbing from the game" from LaRussa probably drove old Gerald over the edge. I don't condone his actions at all. :-P
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby reznorsboy » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:57 am

Mercer Boy wrote:I saw it during the Pirates game a few days ago. Gerald Perry definitely either elbowed or punched Duncan, and then everyone just ran in to stop it.

Perry is an idiot, and judging by how bad most of our hitters are should be fired anyway. Hector Luna was just doing what every other player does when trying to break up a double play...it just so happens that one of our best fielders (Castillo) got hurt and is out for the year about it. This combined with the Jason Bay All-Star "snubbing from the game" from LaRussa probably drove old Gerald over the edge. I don't condone his actions at all. :-P

That explains it a little better.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:50 pm

ESPN.com wrote:The Post-Gazette reported that video taken by FSN Pittsburgh, which shows Perry striking Duncan, could be used to make a charge stick, but even that shows the incident from two angles -- one shows Perry swinging his arm and knocking off Duncan's cap, the other appears to show him landing a blow on Duncan's chin -- and a significant distance.

Either way, he swung without being provoked. That's grounds enough for a hefty fine/suspension.

:-t
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers