Some end of season tatics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Some end of season tatics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:52 am

That Hail Mary thing really works? Does it work for just the last day or last couple days?

Oh please like any of you think that I'm actually above it anyway...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:19 am

that type of waiver wire shenanigans is unethical...if you stick w/ a faab budget then "churning" can not take place
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:25 am

My best end of season strategy, however unintentional, last year now more intentional maybe was to draft players (or keep) such as Eric Chavez, Aubrey Huff, V-mart, and Tim Hudson. Players that have me throwing remotes and pulling out hairs the first half of the season, but come August/Sept. are money.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:13 am

Okay i am not sure i get what you mean so i will ask you to clarify.....

IF you are picking up players and then dropping them without using them at all on your team just to keep them out of other team's hands then yes i agree with the majority of people that is uncool. It is simply a matter of expoiting a loophole is all. In fact, many leagues specifically write that into their rules as forbidden.

Another part of your post suggests that you pick up a player(i think you said jae sao) for the matchup(meaning you use him) and THEN Drop him when that matchup is over. This i have no problem with whatsoever and i am fairly sure that most others dont either.

just my opinion

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:42 am

another desparate move : The stars have to align properly for this to work but it can be done. If you have done all you can do to make up points in the standings you have to look at the option of taking points AWAY from the person you are trying to catch. I had a pretty comfortable lead in HR and wins a few years ago. Overall i was in 4th and had about 11 points to make up for 1st. After looking at my team i felt like i had a decent chance to make up about 7 points but that was it. There was simply ZERO chance of me making up 8 points. I pretty much GAVE Barry bonds and Randy johnson away at the trade deadline. I found a team that was out of it and made him an offer he couldnt refuse , Barry for a scrub with the only condition being he wasnt allowed to trade him. This guy was within like 7 homers of taking a point each from the 3rd, 2nd ,and 1st place teams in the HR department which he did. I found another owner and did the same with Randy Johnson.I had had plenty of offers all year for RJ and Barry bonds that i had turned down so when i did these people thought i was on crack. People in the league to this day crack jokes about how bad my late season trades were and dont realize that it was those trades that played a large part in putting me over the top. Even now when someone offers me say A-rod for Pujols and i say 'thanks but no thanks' they will inevitably come back with 'well okay then how about Aaron Boone for Arod then???????(ha ha ha)"..... If they only knew who was doing the realllll laughing. Like i said, the stars have to allign perfectly(i havent ever been able to do it since then), and even then it is a risky move but it CAN work.

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:55 pm

I've done quite a bit of both (especially with my revolving door of closers as I grab the new guys and trade the extras for value and upgrades). I think I've had about 12 closers on my roster this year...still have 3 left and have upgraded other spots a TON through that process and at the same time hurt the teams higher than me in the standings by giving the bottom teams in the league a lot of closers.

On the 'hail mary' it can work at any point in the season. It's tricky to pull off and plan correctly. What you need to do is VERY carefully get yourself as close to your IP limit as possible without going over. Once you're there make sure that you don't play any pitchers at all. Then you look for the perfect day to do your hail mary. Pick a day that has several of your current pitchers that are good pitching on the same day. Trade for guys in preperation if you have an active league with a short enough trade processing time (you can afford to trade down a little as long as it doesn't help a team that could hurt you in the standings). Once you've gathered the people for your hail mary either off of the fa list or through trades you simply start all of these guys that day.

The rules state that you can not accumulate stats at any position when you START THE DAY over the limit. Since you are not starting the day over the limit you're free to accumulate as many statistics as you'd like. This also works well in the OF on a smaller scale...if you're going to go over, make sure to get within one game of the limit on a certain day. You can start all 3 guys the final day then and still get statistics from them.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:58 pm

I have been grabbing players off the FA list every Sunday and Wednesday to fill out my roster on Monday and Thursday when a lot of teams are off. I just grab the players who have been hottest in the prior week (easy to do in yahoo b/c you can filter available players by their stats in the following week) and -- of course -- who are playing the following Monday or Sunday. They play for that day and then I drop them.

I need to make up some ground in the cumulative hitting stats (R, HR, RBI) so I can't afford to have a skeleton lineup two days a week. So far, the strategy has worked out phenomenally -- I've picked up a lot of R, RBI, and HR that I otherwise would never have had. It's expensive, though, as an add/drop costs us $1 in our league. Hey, it's only money.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mweir145 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:03 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:I have been grabbing players off the FA list every Sunday and Wednesday to fill out my roster on Monday and Thursday when a lot of teams are off. I just grab the players who have been hottest in the prior week (easy to do in yahoo b/c you can filter available players by their stats in the following week) and -- of course -- who are playing the following Monday or Sunday. They play for that day and then I drop them.

I need to make up some ground in the cumulative hitting stats (R, HR, RBI) so I can't afford to have a skeleton lineup two days a week. So far, the strategy has worked out phenomenally -- I've picked up a lot of R, RBI, and HR that I otherwise would never have had. It's expensive, though, as an add/drop costs us $1 in our league. Hey, it's only money.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do on those days too.

I've also used the "hail mary" tactic when I've been behind in a playoff matchup with no way to make up ground other than to pickup pitchers for the last few days of the week.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Cooner » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:57 pm

djack909 wrote:I see nothing wrong with so-called "churning".

Also, I am presently "churning" SB players. I'm looking out for available SB players going against teams liike the Phillies, Twins and Indians. After the series is over they may be benched for a series next week against the same team or held for a few days before I see another free agent match up.

Ok, as I read this, you're not actually churning players- you're spot-starting stolen base matchups, a completely different story and completely ethical. When you say churning, people think that you are picking up good stolen base guys, never starting them, and immediately dropping them with the intention of keeping anyone else from picking them up for the next three days. If you start them even once, or don't start them, but keep them on your bench for a week because you thought you might want to start them, it's not churning, and that's perfectly cool ;-D
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ramble2 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:52 pm

stevelabny wrote:If churning was illegal,it would be in the rules, if its not, then oh well, everyone is playing by the same rules, and you have to use them to your advantage.

In fact, churning is against the rules:

Yahoo Fair Play & Sportsmanship Rules wrote:No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.

'Churning' as defined in my league, is picking up and dropping a player on the same day simply to make that player unavailable to other teams. We had one guy in my league do this to FA starting pitchers a couple times in one week and had to remind him this was not allowed.

Picking up a player and spot-starting him for a day, or picking up a player and stashing him on your bench, on the other hand, is perfectly fine.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers