Some end of season tatics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Some end of season tatics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Some end of season tatics

Postby djack909 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:47 pm

Last year I noticed that the 1st place team could be had in SBs. Each day I picked-up SB players and dropped them so they would be on waivers. When he finally realized that he needed SBs the best FAs where on my bench or on waivers. I nipped him by one point. In other leagues I have used the same technigue with closers and SPs. Also, on the last days of the season you can get extra innings of pitching. Last year in two leagues I needed Ws & Ks. On the last Saturday of the season I had one inning left. I started 7 pitchers they pitched 26 innings with 4 Ws and 17 Ks. Enough to win both leagues.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:00 pm

Agree with the "Hail Mary" at the end of the year (very risky, but can pay off), but disagree about churning the free agent pool (just plain isn't cool, and there's several threads about that tactic).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby titanut » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:09 pm

agreed about the "hail mary" risky,but, if you are behind, why not.
Don't like the churning tatic either, although, I don't know where
you find the "best" SBs this late in the year.
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:11 pm

I agree man its not the way to play the game. Sometimes if my stud starter lets say has his last start 3 days before the seasons over ill drop him unless its a keeper. And just pick up FA for him. But i agree with Mad, the whole holding onto a guy for one day just to put him onto waivers is not a cool thing.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:15 pm

i will do the hail mary on the last day or so of the season,,,, but just churning players to keep someone else from getting that player is a little overboard for me....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:02 pm

you gotta have a set to make a move like that
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby djack909 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:09 am

I see nothing wrong with so-called "churning". As and example, in one league (a winners league) I was solid in my basic line-up and pitching. So, I sarted picking up closers. (brazoban, Lyon and ect. ) I ended up with 7 closers. I traded Looper for V. Wells and built up a huge lead in saves. As FA needed to be picked-up, (Ensberg, Peralta, Sizemore, Bedard, and ect) I had to drop my closers. If they showed up as free agents, I would drop a different one and pick them up. Anyone in the league could have had them. Finally, it dawned on some one that 2nd place in saves is worth 11 pts. and he is now tied with me for saves, with his better quality closers and my discards. Churning only works until someone picks up your discards. Also, I am presently "churning" SB players. I'm looking out for available SB players going against teams liike the Phillies, Twins and Indians. After the series is over they may be benched for a series next week against the same team or held for a few days before I see another free agent match up. Today's best match-up was TB against Earlton, while going against J Santana last night woud lbe stupid. So SB players get "churned" daily based on match ups. How can that be wrong. If the first place player mentioned in the first note had seen how I was gaining on him by daily match-ups all He had to do was start playing match-ups himself. By the time he caught-on I had several SB players on the bench and others where on WW.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby djack909 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:54 am

P.S. I "churned " J. Seo this week. He gave me 2 nice wins before and after he was on waivers. Anybody but me could have had him off the WW. If the other managers didn't want me the churn Seo, all they had to do was grab him. While he was gone, Westbrook gave me a win. I may churm Seo for Westbrook again. I need to use up some innings on that team.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:24 am

Churning is just not the right way to play the game. You want to win because your team is better, not because you were a pr!ck. Many will consider it cheating, but its simply just the wrong way to play the game.

If you pick up players to use them for your team and change you mind every once in awhile, thats fine, but picking up and then dropping them to waivers for the purpose of making it so others can't use them is simply wrong. Picking up a guy and keeping him away from another team is whole different story. With churning you're just exploiting the waiver rules, not play fantasy baseball.

Hail Mary is a technique I've always used. If ERA and WHIP are narrow leads though, its very dangerous.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby stevelabny » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:52 am

If churning was illegal,it would be in the rules, if its not, then oh well, everyone is playing by the same rules, and you have to use them to your advantage.

I've played in a basketball leagues with no games played maximum, i did better with lesser players by maximinzing games played. Normally my baseball league's rules say you can only draft players on the 25 man roster or dl to start the season. Also, besides our 5 man bench, we have a DL with no limit. Many years, people will try to draft numerous DL guys, and then take the best of the remains after the draft, and stash the hurt guys until they come back. This year, due to an early draft, we opened the draft up to all players, and numerous owners tried to draft a sure minor leaguer, in order to stash him until late in the season.

Any good set of rules should try to close all the loopholes. If it doesn't , you can't change rules mid-season without a unaminous consensus. And even that should be only used for freak loopholes and completely unexpected situations.

Currently I am in 2nd, 2 pts out of 1st, and 6 pts ahead of the two teams tied for 3rd in a 5x5 roto league, with weekly transactions and a FAAB budget. Teams 1 and 3a are out of FAAB money, Team 3b has enough left for one player. I have enough left for up to 9 players. As the season winds down, you can be SURE that I will be picking up two-start starters, and/or any other FA who catches my interest (nobody would have a problem with this) and waiving some good players. (the by product of my pickups) As I waive a good player, I will send an email to someone at the bottom of my league to pick the player off of Waivers (done by standings) and hopefully they will pass one of my competition in a category. (i'm sure that some people here will find this "dirty" but that's just silly. I'm just talking to another owner about how to help themselves.)

Making a trade or other moves that not only help you, but HURT the teams in front of or directly behind you, isnt cheating, its SMART.
Its the equivalent of blocking a waiver claim in the MLB.

If you want to make up new rules, go right ahead, and apply them to your league next season. In the meantime, use the ones that exist.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers