is Delmon getting the call? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

is Delmon getting the call?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

is Delmon getting the call?

Postby bigken117 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:51 pm

I know there's a few Rays fans in here (Hyb, RU)...I've read conflicting reports on what the Rays plan on doing with DY, one on the official site that says they're thinking about it, and one on baseball analysts where they say Lamar announced they weren't. Is Chuck Lamar really as stupid as he leads those of us who don't follow the Rays to believe?

There's a legion full of #1 waivers in keeper leagues awaiting your word.

Thanks
Ken
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbones733 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:55 pm

i read somewhere this week, He will not be called up this year, thats what Pinella said, i think they said it on Rotoworld
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Morrison8312 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:33 pm

I also read somewhere that he will not be called up. I thought I read it on Baseball America but I can find it anymore.
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Morrison8312 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:34 pm

• Devil Rays general manager Chuck LaMar said righthander Jeff Niemann, who has battled shoulder problems all season, will not be included in September callups when the rosters expand. "He's healthy," LaMar told the St. Petersburg Times. "We're going to build him up to five innings, and my gut feeling is that will be it for him." Since being called up to Double-A Montgomery, Niemann is 0-1, 3.38 in eight innings. LaMar said no decisions have been made on calling up Triple-A Durham shortstop B.J. Upton or outfielder Delmon Young, though Young will likely finish the season with the Bulls to keep his major league service clock from ticking.

There it is
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:10 am

Yeah, Lou said recently that he won't be coming up this year. That possibly could change by injuries or them having a change of heart. But as it is right now, it doesn't look good.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby clarkw267 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:15 am

It would make sense to keep him down at AAA, and try to decide which players on their current active roster , they will want to keep next year. The OF is already crowded as it is.
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:03 am

delmon coming up this year really has never been in the plans since day 1 of the year.... the original plan (from a friend with the durham bulls) was for him to stay at AAA for the 2nd half of the season..... even though his arbitration clock would not start with a september callup,,, the drays want to be safe and slow with delmon this year,,,,, as a dray fan, i have mixed emotions about this....... i would love to see all the kids up in september so we can see the 2007 devil rays team basically all at once,,,, but i also understand the need to take their time with this future stud as well.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GoPenny » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:25 pm

Delmon is not coming up this year, this is from Lou Pinellia

Manager Lou Piniella said OF Delmon Young, the 2003 first-round draft pick, is not expected to be among the four or five minor-league players called up in September. "Delmon's not coming up," Piniella said. "He's not one of them."

They don't want him going to arbitration any sooner then he has to, so it makes sense
GoPenny
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Webster11 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:25 pm

Whew, glad I used my waiver on Felix...
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:33 pm

GoPenny wrote:They don't want him going to arbitration any sooner then he has to, so it makes sense

I believe his arbitration clock doesn't start if he's a september callup. From an outsiders point of view I don't really understand the decision to not give the kid a chance...
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball