General Fantasy Questions for Beginners. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions

General Fantasy Questions for Beginners.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:38 pm

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:43 am

bcb wrote:Lofunzo:

Thanks for the info.

You mentioned a "keeper" section. I've checked the site, and can't find a specific "keeper" section. Maybe I'm just missing it altogther?

Sorry. Here it is:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... m.php?f=26
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Chip1010 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:53 pm

Madison wrote:
idano wrote:what are some good sites for keeper leagues? any free ones?

No free ones, but if you form a Yahoo group page (free) and then play a private league at Yahoo (free), then your commish can just place the players on the correct teams once you've done a slow draft (which can be done on the Yahoo group page, and is free). ;-D

Hey, Madison. Could you elaborate on this a little? Some friends and I want to start a 10- or 12-team keeper league on Yahoo, and this sounds exactly like the way I'd want to go about it. Some questions, though:

1. Is there a certain type of Yahoo group page I'd have to start? I guess I'm confused about how the group page is relevant to the fantasy team. Does having your group page linked to a private league give the commissioner permission to place kept players on teams?

2. What is a slow draft? Would I (as commissioner) be able to place the players that people wanted on their teams, then we have a regular Yahoo live draft of the remaining players in the league?

Thanks a lot!
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:35 am

Chip1010 wrote:
Madison wrote:
idano wrote:what are some good sites for keeper leagues? any free ones?

No free ones, but if you form a Yahoo group page (free) and then play a private league at Yahoo (free), then your commish can just place the players on the correct teams once you've done a slow draft (which can be done on the Yahoo group page, and is free). ;-D

Hey, Madison. Could you elaborate on this a little? Some friends and I want to start a 10- or 12-team keeper league on Yahoo, and this sounds exactly like the way I'd want to go about it. Some questions, though:

1. Is there a certain type of Yahoo group page I'd have to start? I guess I'm confused about how the group page is relevant to the fantasy team. Does having your group page linked to a private league give the commissioner permission to place kept players on teams?

2. What is a slow draft? Would I (as commissioner) be able to place the players that people wanted on their teams, then we have a regular Yahoo live draft of the remaining players in the league?

Thanks a lot!

Hi. :-)

1. Nope, just a plain old Yahoo usergroup would do just fine. The group page is where you would keep all the owners contact info, league info, rosters, do the draft, etc. The commish of the league has the ability to place the players on the correct teams when it's time to do that.

2. A slow draft is a message board style draft. Check our league forums section (but not the auctions as they are different) and you'll get an idea of what a slow draft is like. There's usually a 24 hour window for the next person to make their pick, hence the name "slow draft".

I'm unsure if you can do a partial live draft and partial slow, but what a lot of leagues tend to do (especially keeper leagues) is do a live draft, but the first "X" number of picks (based on how many keepers the league has) are the ones that the owners are keeping from last season. If anyone "cheats" and tries to draft someone else's keeper (they are chosen well ahead of time so everyone knows who's keeping who), then the commish fixes the problem after the draft.

Hope that helps some. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chip1010 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:07 am

That helps a lot, thanks! ;-D
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SPORTZILLA8 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30 pm

Ok, Im a newb to fantasy baseball, though I am active in fantasy football and racing. I have 1 question, really. What materials dfo you need to run an offline fantasy keeper league. Me and about a dozen friends would like to do this, but we do not wish to do it online. I just need tyo know materials right now.
SPORTZILLA8
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:14 am

Basically you just need to keep track of what teams have what players, and who they keep. Depending on the set up of the league, it's as simple as that, or becomes a little more complicated with things like contracts or minor leaguers.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SPORTZILLA8 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:06 pm

What about scoring and such?
SPORTZILLA8
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:45 pm

SPORTZILLA8 wrote:What about scoring and such?

Totally offline?

Pencil, writing paper, daily newspaper subscription, calculator, and a copy machine.

Oh, and tons and tons of time.

Easiest just to run it through a free service like Sportsline or Yahoo. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Rockiesfan » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:43 pm

I am going to start a new leauge this season and have a few qusetions.

I would like to start a H2H 5X5 Leauge with Daily roster updates instead of weekly. [b]Does anybody know if I can do this and on what free site I could use, Like CBS, Yahoo, or ESPN or any others?

Also I am trying to decide what the best roster format would be. Im think something like this.
C:1 1B:1 2b:1 3b:1 SS:1 OF:4 or 5 Ut/Dh:1 MI:1 CI:1 SP:5 RP:2 P:1
With six bench players with what ever position you want.

Is this a good system any thoughts?

Also for a free public leauge and based on the rosters what do you think the size of the leauge should be? Im think of either 10 or 12.

This is my first year of trying fantasy Baseball and would like to have a serious leauge but also have a good time in the process.
Thank you very much for all comments ;-D
Rockiesfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions