General Fantasy Questions for Beginners. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions

General Fantasy Questions for Beginners.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:54 am

jonesboyz wrote:hope this was the right thread for this question:

is there a site that shows the preseason stats for the players?
I took a quick try by google but didn't find anything.

Go to MLB.com and click stats. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jonesboyz » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:25 pm

tx. :-)

now, i feel dumb. :-B
jonesboyz Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:19 pm

jonesboyz wrote:tx. :-)

now, i feel dumb. :-B

No reason to feel dumb, I've seen this question several times, and every year. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dallas Doughnuts » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:11 am

Hi and thanks for the forum here!

This is my first time playing fantasy baseball, but I have played football and basketball for several years. Is there a site that I can use to put my team in, and choose the points for certain stats? That way as the season progress's I can see where I'm lacking and see what players to trade for? I am in a dollar value league where you are giving a certain amount of money to spend on players and everybody could possibly pick the same team. So, I'm looking for something that might be able to help me out. BTW, I know absolutely nothing about baseball, and pretty much go off stats only. Any help would be appreciated.
Dallas Doughnuts
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:50 am

Dallas Doughnuts wrote:Hi and thanks for the forum here!

This is my first time playing fantasy baseball, but I have played football and basketball for several years. Is there a site that I can use to put my team in, and choose the points for certain stats? That way as the season progress's I can see where I'm lacking and see what players to trade for? I am in a dollar value league where you are giving a certain amount of money to spend on players and everybody could possibly pick the same team. So, I'm looking for something that might be able to help me out. BTW, I know absolutely nothing about baseball, and pretty much go off stats only. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Cafe'! ;-D

Everyone could pick the same team? Like you and I could both have Albert Pujols, and both of our teams would get his stats? Sounds like a very strange league, and I am totally unaware of a site that could handle that kind of request. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Dallas Doughnuts » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:40 am

Madison wrote:
Dallas Doughnuts wrote:Hi and thanks for the forum here!

Welcome to the Cafe'! ;-D

Everyone could pick the same team? Like you and I could both have Albert Pujols, and both of our teams would get his stats? Sounds like a very strange league, and I am totally unaware of a site that could handle that kind of request. :-?

Thanks for the response!!

Yes, we both could own him in this league, it's a little different :-). I have never played one like this before, but I'm not really looking for a site that could handle running it or anything, we have one. I was looking for a site that I could put point value on certain things, like HR, RBI's, Stl's, W, Sv's etc, and see how the players are actually performing overall against everyone else this year. I have found several projection sites that allow you to input your own point system and see how to rank players, but was kinda looking for one now that would actually use the stats from this year so I can keep track. You know, so I can find the best bang for my buck =) I may not be explaining what I need here.. :-)
Dallas Doughnuts
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:20 pm

Dallas Doughnuts wrote:Thanks for the response!!

Yes, we both could own him in this league, it's a little different :-). I have never played one like this before, but I'm not really looking for a site that could handle running it or anything, we have one. I was looking for a site that I could put point value on certain things, like HR, RBI's, Stl's, W, Sv's etc, and see how the players are actually performing overall against everyone else this year. I have found several projection sites that allow you to input your own point system and see how to rank players, but was kinda looking for one now that would actually use the stats from this year so I can keep track. You know, so I can find the best bang for my buck =) I may not be explaining what I need here.. :-)

Yeah, I'm still a bit confused, sorry :-/ . You have the league hosted somewhere that allows for your rules, but it doesn't show the standings of each team in the league? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Dallas Doughnuts » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:36 pm

Madison wrote:
Dallas Doughnuts wrote:Thanks for the response!!

Yeah, I'm still a bit confused, sorry :-/ . You have the league hosted somewhere that allows for your rules, but it doesn't show the standings of each team in the league? :-?

Thanks for the response!

I can see the standings of each team, but we are allowed 6 trades a year. If I have a player that is underperfomring, I would like to pick up another guy. It can be any guy that is playing as long as I don't go over my dollar cap. So, if I wanted to compare dollar values for other players(which in our league stay the same throughout the year) I would like to be able to compare stats.

The way our system works is we get $250. We can pick any players out there and each player is assigned a $$ value that stays consistant throughout the year. We have almost 30 people in the league so a draft is pointless. We get a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS, C, 3 OF, and a DH. Then we get 5 pitchers (Starting or Relief). We base pts off Singles(1 pt), Doubles(2 pts), Triples(3 pts), HR's(4 pts), RBI's(1 pt), Steals(2 pts), runs(1 pt) and walks(1 pt). Pitchers get pts off Wins(10 pts), Saves(10 pts), Strike outs(1 pt), Innings Pitched(1 per inning) and Shutouts(5 pts). We only get 6 trades a year.

So, I would like to be able to compare players out there in these catagories and see what our price is for them if the guy I have is underperforming. I don't need the site to be able to assign a $$ amount to them, if it does, it's fine, but I want to be able to compare stats in these catagories, that way I might be able to find a guy that costs alot less that is performing better, since our $$ values stay the same throughout the year. There is going to probably be a guy out there, like Ryan Langerhans who costs 3$ in our league but has 23 pts so far, compared to a guy like Randy Winn who costs $17 and only has 10 pts so far. Both of these guys, no matter when I trade throughout the year(for a guy on the waiver wire who is anyone that is not on my current team) still cost $3 and $17 dollars respectively no matter how they perform.

Hope this explains things a bit more. It is a different type of league due to the amount of people that play it.

Thanks again!
Dallas Doughnuts
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Madison » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:48 am

Cool. I think I get it now. I understand auctions, so that's easy. I also understand points leagues, so that's easy too.

Let me make sure I've got this right though. Your league does not show the current points each free agent would have if they were on your team, it only shows their prices. Correct?

I'm not aware of a place that would allow you to input the point values and then calculate each free agent's points and have it up to date with this season's stats so far. Unfortunately, the only way I know of is to do that player by player, which is definitely time consuming.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Dallas Doughnuts » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:51 pm

Madison wrote:Cool. I think I get it now. I understand auctions, so that's easy. I also understand points leagues, so that's easy too.

Let me make sure I've got this right though. Your league does not show the current points each free agent would have if they were on your team, it only shows their prices. Correct?

I'm not aware of a place that would allow you to input the point values and then calculate each free agent's points and have it up to date with this season's stats so far. Unfortunately, the only way I know of is to do that player by player, which is definitely time consuming.

Thanks for the responses Madison!

I went ahead and made an excel datasheet that auto updates and configures trends for players. It took a little while, but since I could give catagories their own point system, it just seemed easier. Plus I have it at my fingertips =)

The biggest issue was finding a place that woud allow me to give 4 pts for a HR, 2 pts for a SB, 10 pts win, etc. I wanted to see the ranking of these players in their respective catagories (C, SS, 1B etc.) This allows me to do that and quite a bit more. I got tired of digging around on the internet for the info all the time, and with us only having 6 "trades" each, I had to be careful with each "trade" I made.

Thanks again for all your help!!
Dallas Doughnuts
T-Ball Trainer

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions