General Fantasy Questions for Beginners. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions

General Fantasy Questions for Beginners.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

General Fantasy Questions for Beginners.

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:21 pm

This thread is about frequently asked fantasy questions mostly directed toward newer players, but anyone might find this helpful:

Q - What is the difference between Roto and H2H?
A - In a roto league your team accumulates stats in all catagories and are awarded points based on league standings in each individual catagory. Example: In a 10 team league, the team with the most home runs is awarded 10 points, second is awarded 9 points, 3rd is awarded 8 points, and on down the line. Standings and points change daily for all catagories.

Example:

Home runs:

Team A: 97=10 points
Team C: 94=9 points
Team G: 93=8 points
Team B: 90=7 points

As the updated stats are introduced each day, the daily standings change. For instance, say team G hit 5 home runs the day the standings look like they do above, and everyone else hit 3 each, the new standings the next day would look like:

Team A: 100=10 points
Team G: 98= 9 points
Team C: 97=8 points
Team B: 93=7 points

You add up all points in all catagories to get the current standings. The team with the highest point total after the final day of the season wins the league.

In H2H, your team goes heads up against one other team in the league. For every catagory you outscore your opponent, your team is awarded 1 point. Example: Your team hits 15 home runs for the week, your opponent's team hits 13 home runs. Your team is awarded one point in the weekly standings.

In H2H leagues, all the stats are added up for the week. A typical final line could look like this:

Team A, 10 hr, 34 runs, 36 rbi, 6 steals, .298 avg.
Team B, 9 hr, 39 runs, 31 rbi, 9 steals, .302 avg.

The score on the hitting side would be:

Team A: 2 wins, 3 losses (won hr and rbi)
Team B: 3 wins, 2 losses (won runs, steals, average)

And the same would go with the pitching side to get the total wins and losses for the week, and then added with all the previous weeks wins and losses to get the total standings for the year.

Q - What is 5x5?
A - 5x5 refers to typical league scoring catagories. Average, runs, homers, RBI, and steals for hitters and Wins, ERA, WHIP, K's, and saves for pitchers.

Q - How do I calculate ERA, Avg, WHIP?
A - Batting Average or [AVG or BA] = Number of Hits (divided by) Number of At Bats

Earned Run Average [ERA] = (Number of Earned Runs x 9) divided by (Number of Innings Pitched)

Walks And Hits per Innings Pitched [WHIP] = (Hits + Walks) divided by Innings Pitched

Q - What does infinite ERA/WHIP mean and how does it affect my team?
A - Infinite WHIP happens when your pitcher gives up a hit or walk (or several hits/walks), and leaving the game without recording an out. Infinite ERA happens when a pitcher gives up one or more runs and leaves the game without recording an out.

How does that affect your team stats? Here's an example: Let's say you have John Smoltz starting, and Takatsu is one of your relievers. Takatsu gets tagged for 2 hits, a walk, and 2 earned runs, while not recording an out. Smoltz tosses a gem with 9 innings, 6 hits, 0 walks, 0 earned runs. Here's how it would look on your team:

Smoltz: 9 innings, 6 hits, 0 earned runs
Takatsu: 0.0 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk, 2 earned runs.

Combined: 9 innings, 8 hits, 1 walk, 2 earned runs.

Your team stats for the day would be a WHIP of 1.00 and an ERA of 2.00

Q - What is a Keeper league?
A - A keeper league is a league in which you get to "keep" a certain number of players from one year to the next. Typically, entire rosters are kept over the offseason to allow for trades, and a date is set in which you need to decide who your "keepers" are, and then start preparing for the draft. Typical keepers range from 5 to 10 players.

Q - What is a dynasty league?
A - In a dynasty league, you keep your entire roster from one season to the next. Most include a vast minor league farm system as well.

I'll add more as new questions surface. :-)
Last edited by Madison on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: General Fantasy Questions for Beginners.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:36 pm

Madison wrote:Q - What is 5x5?
A - 5x5 refers to typical league scoring catagories. Average, runs, homers, RBI, and steals for hitters and Wins, ERA, WHIP, K's, and saves for pitchers.

Batting Average or [AVG or BA] = Number of Hits (divided by) Number of At Bats

Earned Run Average [ERA] = (Number of Earned Runs x 9) divided by (Number of Innings Pitched)

Walks And Hits per Innings Pitched [WHIP] = (Hits + Walks) divided by Innings Pitched
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:42 pm

Added. Nice one Pogo! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby idano » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:06 pm

what are some good sites for keeper leagues? any free ones?
idano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:06 am

idano wrote:what are some good sites for keeper leagues? any free ones?

No free ones, but if you form a Yahoo group page (free) and then play a private league at Yahoo (free), then your commish can just place the players on the correct teams once you've done a slow draft (which can be done on the Yahoo group page, and is free). ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

H2H without playoffs

Postby dogra » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:46 am

Hello,

I'm new to this board, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question.

I have been a fantasy manager at Yahoo for a number of years now -- mostly basketball, but also a couple of years for baseball.

My baseball league is strongly considering a move to a head-to-head style of scoring. Most of us love it as it adds the excitement of teams playing teams, and opportunities for good-natured trash talk on a weekly basis.

Here's the problem -- none of us like the playoff system very much. It seems to give you two winners; one the regular season champ (usually the best team overall), and the playoff champ (usually the hottest team at the end).

Do you know of any reliable site that offers head-to-head leagues WITHOUT playoffs?

I honestly don't see why this isn't an option at Yahoo. About 80% of the managers I've spoken to love the head to head style, but think the unrealistic playoff system cheapens the ultimate championship.

I've done a bunch of google searches but come up empty. Can anyone help me? Does H2H without playoffs even exist? :~(
dogra
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: H2H without playoffs

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:52 pm

dogra wrote:Hello,

I'm new to this board, and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question.

I have been a fantasy manager at Yahoo for a number of years now -- mostly basketball, but also a couple of years for baseball.

My baseball league is strongly considering a move to a head-to-head style of scoring. Most of us love it as it adds the excitement of teams playing teams, and opportunities for good-natured trash talk on a weekly basis.

Here's the problem -- none of us like the playoff system very much. It seems to give you two winners; one the regular season champ (usually the best team overall), and the playoff champ (usually the hottest team at the end).

Do you know of any reliable site that offers head-to-head leagues WITHOUT playoffs?

I honestly don't see why this isn't an option at Yahoo. About 80% of the managers I've spoken to love the head to head style, but think the unrealistic playoff system cheapens the ultimate championship.

I've done a bunch of google searches but come up empty. Can anyone help me? Does H2H without playoffs even exist? :~(

Welcome to the cafe ;-D

I actually dont have an answer to your question, but I am sure that if you post in the baseball leftovers forum other members will be able to help you ;-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Re: H2H without playoffs

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:24 am

dogra wrote:Hello,

Why not just ignore the playoff results, and the league knows that the person with the best record at the end of the season is the Champion of the league?

Other than that, I'm not sure there's a site that does that kind of thing. :-? Like baseball said, I'd try the Leftovers forum. Maybe someone will know something. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:33 pm

thanks a lot.. that post really helped me out
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 404)

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:20 pm

hey.. i just joined this cafe about a week ago..and i was wondering about two things. 1. how do you get images as your avator when its on another site.. and 2. how do you get an image that people have under the reply / post.. thank you B-)
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 404)

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions