Frequently asked Yahoo questions. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions

Frequently asked Yahoo questions.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ranks

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:04 am

Lofunzo wrote:
a_soriano12 wrote:does anyone know how often ranks and O-ranks are updated?

Not often enough. :-/

Not that they are all that valuable anyway though. ;-)

If you really, really need some rankings, Funston does a Big Board that updates weekly (I believe it's weekly), and Sportsline does a weekly update as well. I pretty much quit reading Funston's stuff awhile back, so I'm not sure how valuable his big board is, but depending on your needs, it might suffice. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:32 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
a_soriano12 wrote:does anyone know how often ranks and O-ranks are updated?

Not often enough. :-/

Not that they are all that valuable anyway though. ;-)

If you really, really need some rankings, Funston does a Big Board that updates weekly (I believe it's weekly), and Sportsline does a weekly update as well. I pretty much quit reading Funston's stuff awhile back, so I'm not sure how valuable his big board is, but depending on your needs, it might suffice. ;-D

Let me correct myself. I believe that "rank" is updated more often because it covers a smaller period of time. Just not sure that they update both of them often enough. Not valuable?? I disagree. I use them solely to take advantage of other owners by selling off "high" players and they are quite useful to me. ;-) ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:46 am

Lofunzo wrote:Not valuable?? I disagree. I use them solely to take advantage of other owners by selling off "high" players and they are quite useful to me. ;-) ;-D

You're still playing leagues with guys that put stock into Yahoo rankings? I need to find a league like that. :-D I grabbed Shelton in quite a few leagues, and couldn't move him for a bag of rocks this year, even when he was #1 or whatever in the Yahoo rankings. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Hobbes » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:47 pm

I have a couple of Yahoo trade questions:

1. Can a player who is listed as "NA" be traded? In this case Jered Weaver was sent down to the minors but most expect he'll be back up before too long. Can he be traded while in the minors, or does he have to get back to the majors first?

2. My understanding is that if you still have a player in a DL slot after he has come of the DL in real life, you can't make any moves until he is taken out of your DL slot. Does that mean you can't make a 2-for-1 trade to clear a roster spot for him? Do you have to clear the spot first by dropping somebody before any trades will go through?
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby smoovethug » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:55 pm

Hobbes wrote:I have a couple of Yahoo trade questions:

1. Can a player who is listed as "NA" be traded? In this case Jered Weaver was sent down to the minors but most expect he'll be back up before too long. Can he be traded while in the minors, or does he have to get back to the majors first?

2. My understanding is that if you still have a player in a DL slot after he has come of the DL in real life, you can't make any moves until he is taken out of your DL slot. Does that mean you can't make a 2-for-1 trade to clear a roster spot for him? Do you have to clear the spot first by dropping somebody before any trades will go through?

1. Yes the player can be traded while in the minors or listed as NA.

2. Yes you can make an uneven trade with a player on the DL, you just wont be able to make an add/drop with a player who is not on the DL.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Hobbes » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:37 am

smoovethug wrote:1. Yes the player can be traded while in the minors or listed as NA.

2. Yes you can make an uneven trade with a player on the DL, you just wont be able to make an add/drop with a player who is not on the DL.

Thanks! ;-D
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrbill » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:56 pm

Does the All Star game count in roto leagues on Yahoo?

I just noticed that Jeter and Ichiro are each 0/1, and I'm not excited about their performances counted :)
mrbill
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:22 pm

mrbill wrote:Does the All Star game count in roto leagues on Yahoo?

I just noticed that Jeter and Ichiro are each 0/1, and I'm not excited about their performances counted :)

No, their stats do not count. Just something Yahoo does to try to get you to follow the game on their live scoring. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby NitroHonda » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:12 am

I'm fairly new to fantasy baseball. I'm an avid baseball fanatic so it's not like that I'm jumping into the sport of baseball. I just never took the leap over to the fantasy leagues until now. I'm enjoying it immensely! Although, I'm still learning how everything works and all that. My biggest question here... is the fantasy baseball plus package worth purchasing? I'm mildly skeptical because sometimes I find that the yahoo rankings is asinine sometimes. So this would lead me to think that maybe the plus package isn't worth it's value.

So far I've been using yahoo.com and rotoworld.com to follow up on my players. Are there other sites that may be worth checking on? Pay sites are fine too. I believe I'm about to become a GM junkie like my commish. :-D

Any advice really would be helpful. Thanks.
NitroHonda Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:08 am

Welcome to the Cafe and the world of fantasy baseball. ;-D

You will probably get more responses to this if you post it in the "Leftovers" Forum too. ;-D

As to the Plus Package, it gives everyone in the league Stattracker as part of the deal, which basically pays for itself right there. You get a few extra articles and reports, which all in all isn't a bad deal in my opinion. Not to mention that when people pay for something, they tend to pay more attention and stay active. If you've ever played a public free league, you'll know what I mean about 8 out of 12 teams being "dead" teams by the All-Star Break. Not good, but when people pay for something, that does tend to make them more active. ;-D

As to other fantasy sites, Sportsline (run by CBS) has been pretty good this year. They have rankings, articles, news, etc, and is a good source of information too. I believe they ran $129.95 per league (basically $10 per team in a 12 team league) this year (same as Yahoo Plus) and have live scoring and standing updates as well. Might be something you'd be interested in looking into. ;-D

I look forward to seeing you around! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions