How's my team of underacheivers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How's my team of underacheivers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How's my team of underacheivers?

Postby leafs49 » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:53 am

I'm in a standard midseason 5x5 12-team Yahoo rotisserie league. The league starts today. My strategy in the draft with the third pick was to take players who were highly rated at the beginning of the season, but who have underacheived so far this season. What are my chances of having a good second half with this roster?

C Ivan Rodriguez
1B Jeff Bagwell
2B Ray Durham
SS Alex Rodriguez
3B Eric Chavez
OF Lance Berkman
OF Sammy Sosa
OF Shawn Green
Util Pat Burrell
Bench Jose Hernandez
Bench Paul Konerko
Bench Edgardo Alfonzo

SP Roy Oswalt
SP Greg Maddux
RP Cliff Politte
RP Jason Isringhausen
P Mark Buehrle
P Tom Glavine
P Brandon Lyon
Bench Ted Lilly
Bench Antonio Alfonseca
leafs49

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:13 pm

Your strategy was OK, but I think it might have backfired on you. While your starting offense looks OK, Paul Konerko is really an AL-league-only player now. At this point it's much more likely that he overachieved in the first half of last year than that he's underachieving since then. Sosa is a gamble, I'm sure you know. There are some who say the obvious distractions will keep him from performing and others that say they'll light a fire under him. I don't know which, but you could really use some depth in case the first one happens.

Your starting pitching is more of the same... Oswalt and Maddux are solid picks. Politte has been very up-and-down, and is a pretty big risk, though as your second closer in a 12-team league he's OK. I'd still rather trade him away for an outfielder, dump Lyon, and pick up a top-notch middle reliever. (Octavio Dotel comes to mind.) And the rest of your starting rotation is really bottom-of-the-barrel. There's no guarantee Buehrle and Glavine will turn it around, and Glavine just got hurt. Lilly has also sucked this year. I would look for guys like Ryan Franklin off the FA list and try to acquire a second- or third-tier SP like David or Kip Wells.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team