Marquis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Marquis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Marquis

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:58 am

OK, I'm officially worried about him. Early in the year it looked like he was starting to put it together now it looks like the wheels have fallen off. Any explanations?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Marquis

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:11 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:OK, I'm officially worried about him. Early in the year it looked like he was starting to put it together now it looks like the wheels have fallen off. Any explanations?

He's a headcase? :-? Seriously though I've been wondering the same thing. If he wasn't a .350 hitter and a legitimate pinch hitter off the bench, he probably wouldn't even be in the rotation right now. I sure wish it was him that became the OF rather than Ankiel, that's for sure. :-°

As for his pitching, I have no idea. I haven't been able to catch his last few starts, but the ones I have, it seems that he still lets the umpires and the game get to him too much, which leads to the big innings. I think Yadi being back will help him as much as any of the others because Yadi seems to be good at going out at the right moment and getting his pitcher's head back in the game. If he's still pitching like this in a couple weeks, then I'll be concerned, but right now it seems to be pretty much par for the course with Marquis.

It'll be interesting to see if he makes the playoff roster. I'll also be interested to see what the offseason holds with Morris and Suppan possibly leaving. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Re: Marquis

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:25 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:He's a headcase? :-?

So are Mulder and Morris but neither one of them had there ERA jump half a run since the All-Star break.

As for his pitching, I have no idea. I haven't been able to catch his last few starts, but the ones I have, it seems that he still lets the umpires and the game get to him too much, which leads to the big innings. I think Yadi being back will help him as much as any of the others because Yadi seems to be good at going out at the right moment and getting his pitcher's head back in the game. If he's still pitching like this in a couple weeks, then I'll be concerned, but right now it seems to be pretty much par for the course with Marquis.

I though Yadi would help too but last night was his 2nd start since Yadi came back and he has looked worse.

Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:31 am

i havent seen too many of his starts but in the ones i that i watch he leaves the ball up. he supposedly has a power sinker or something like that but he never uses it. he tries to blow people away with his fastball but its not really working. earlier in the season he was effectively using some offspeed stuff to set up his fastball but i suspect he isnt really doing that too well now. also, in a couple starts tony left him in too long in my opinion which really added to the damage. i was all for trading him in the offseason but at this point i am not sure we could get much for him.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:37 am

Eh, I wouldn't say Mulder is a headcase, at least not as much as Maquis. I'll give you Morris, but still, he's nowhere close to Marquis.

I have no idea then. I thought last night was his first because Yadi sat out his other start, but I've only seen parts of three games the past two weeks. I still think that will help him settle down, but I was just throwing that out there more than anything.

I really wish Marquis had some trade value right now. I've been one of his supporters ever since he got here because I really thought Duncan would straighten him out, but it's been a year and a half now and he's still not much better than he was when he first came over. I guess we've all learned a lesson here, if the Braves give up on a pitcher in order to get Drew of all people, then he's not fixable. He might still fetch a nice OF or two maybe if he can have a solid stretch run. :-o
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:30 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I really wish Marquis had some trade value right now. I've been one of his supporters ever since he got here because I really thought Duncan would straighten him out, but it's been a year and a half now and he's still not much better than he was when he first came over. I guess we've all learned a lesson here, if the Braves give up on a pitcher in order to get Drew of all people, then he's not fixable. He might still fetch a nice OF or two maybe if he can have a solid stretch run. :-o

what makes it even more frustrating was that he had such a nice start to the season and even a nice july. i thought he might have actually made some adjustments and become a better pitcher but he is basically just the same. we will probably have to package him with wainwright if we want anything in return. a nice september would help but teams would probably be alarmed by his k/9 and k/bb which arent very good at all.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:23 pm

I don't see how Marquis can make the post season roster, at least, not as a starter. I know that the whole team seemed to cave during the Series last year, but Marquis was particularly ineffective throughout the entire post season (if I remember correctly).

Given that history and this present, I don't bring him along.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:41 am

I wouldn't want to of course, but if packaging Wainwright with him is the only way to trade Marquis that'd be fine with me.

As for the postseason, I think they almost have to take him since he is such a good pinch hitter and could be a last resort as a long man/mop up guy to save the rest of the pen. :-o
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:09 pm

i didnt see the game but the box score looks good. hopefully there will be some more games like that for marquis.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:00 pm

Dang! I was one day away from getting a co-worker to give me 2-to-1 odds on a $20 bet that Marquis would make the playoffs. I was betting he would.

There's no way in the world he'll take that bet now... :~(
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals